Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Who is flying the OMP Kat 46 V2?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Who is flying the OMP Kat 46 V2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:23 AM
65 Chevy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is flying the OMP Kat 46 V2?

I just bought a TMPro Katana 46 V2 distributed by OMP. WOW!!!What a plane. I took my time with assembly and had it done in 8 hours of my time. What a great Arf. I build it as stock except for a tail skid to replace the really flexible tail wheel assembly. I am very impressed with this quality and thoughtful design of this plane. Our field is closed because of the frost coming up and everything is too wet and soggy. Therefore my great new bird is confined to the nest. I am hoping to get some flying opinions on this plane. I have several profiles including a MOJO, Burrito, BadBoy, Morris Knife, and several self designed profiles. I an running a Magnum .91 4 stroker on this plane. I know that it is a bit of overkill here, but it only weighs an ounce more than an OS 70 and Magnum 80. Both of which I have on other planes. I am using JR PCM 770 receiver, 1800 mAh 5 cell battery, JR NES 811 digitals all around except a Hitec HS 425 on the throttle. Stock control rods and horns. Radio is JR 9303 with triple rates set.

What I am interested in is set-up and flight information from those of you flying this plane. Opinions and comparisons with other planes are welcome, but please dont tell me I should have bought a... (insert plane name here)

Thanks in advance and keep the skys blue and the winds low...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:43 AM
aerofundan

Default RE: Who is flying the OMP Kat 46 V2?

i love mine!!! i made a video of it

http://www.dodvideos.com/Aerofun/videos/summerfun.wmv

mine has an os 70 4 stroke and it has tons of power! the magnum 91 should make it even better!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:57 PM
spec36

i used a saito 72 for the weight it was lighter than the magnum 70 (i had one i was going to use ) as for as the tail i used a carbon fiber rod to stiffin and works fine (I tied it with thread Like a grapefine and glued it i have about 100 landings on it and the rudder has never touched the ground except when hoovering i moved the cg back 1/4 from the book and used four high torque digital servos (not needed IMO) but feels great in the air and eats up your battery I just like the response of them . used most of the hardware that came with.. hope you got to fly this by now
Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 PM
65 Chevy

No, I have not been able to fly yet. Our field is not open yet. We are doing some reseeding work on Saturday, so It will be a week or two yet. We have to let the seed germinate before we can open the field.

Its good to know that the tail wheel can be used. I did make a custom drilled aluminum tail skid that I can mount

Thanks again for the information
Old 04-07-2006, 09:31 AM
raideron

I love my Kat.. I also slit a C F tube and glued to the tail wire... Works great..
My CG is about 1/4" back from the rearward stock setting and it flies great..
But as with any profile, they do not float very long without that thing in the
front moving the air... My YS 63 has started to give me fits on extended low
throttle runs...... So I can atest to the strenght of the V2 also!! I C.A.'d all the
holes and root rib and tabs to seal and hardening all. I use standard HS 425BB's
on all but the Rud. which has a HS 635 on 6v... She flies great!!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:06 PM
raideron

Hi all... Well The Kat died a violent death this morning:-(... I finally get the YS running
great... So I started getting back low, I was doing H.A. K.E.'s at about 3'-5'.. and all was
going great... So started going lower... Anyway I was setting up at about 4', and all was
going great... The wind pushed the wing over a bit... I "sort of" lost orientation and at 2'
I had to make a move.... Dumb thumbs... I picked the wrong move.... That's the way it
goes:-(.... And to make it worse... I started packing up.... But just one more flight......
Old 04-09-2006, 04:49 PM
65 Chevy

I was ALWAYS told... end on a good note and NEVER NEVER NEVER make 'One More Flight' ! ! ! It seems anytime you get that thought in your head it always emds badly...

Too bad Buddy, We have all been there... Time to find a new cutie to toss around in the air.. That can be fun too

Good Luck
Old 04-15-2006, 12:27 AM
lissa

Howdy all!

I've put quite a few flights on my V2. Number one - the wire gear had to go (took the gear off my crashed OMP Edge).

Once I learned how to bring the bird in, it's been nothing but fun, but all in all, I think I'd rather have my Edge back - the Edge flies much slower with that thicker wing. Perhaps I just need to learn what this Katana will do. So please teach me all that great stuff - hell, I have a heck of a time just doing a hover!

DT
Old 04-15-2006, 06:13 AM
65 Chevy

Hi Lissa,
Thanks for the info. What did you not like about the wire gear? It seems like most people change the wire gear on the profiles. I would like to know why you changed yours.

What experiences do you have bringing this bird down? Need to land with a little speed?

I have yet to fly this year, eventhough the field is open. This is the busy time of year in my business and that has been keeping me really busy. 4 planes to maiden flight this year. Including the Kat V2. You can bet that I will be flying one of my old reliables first to knock off the rough edges.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:36 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

I'm looking for a plane that will fly nice and slow like my Twist.. damn thing will go at walkign speed.. will this one?

Sachin
Old 04-22-2006, 02:41 PM
65 Chevy

I have been comparing wing profiles, The cord looks similar, but tapers in both directions. I think it may still be a floaer, but not like the Twist. I had 2 of them and really liked my Twist other than its tendency to brake at the back of the wing saddle. That is the only reason that I do not still have a twist. I bought the Kat 40 V2 to replace it
Old 04-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Desert Toad

I fixed my gear problem by removing the wire gear and replacing it with the old ones from my wrecked OMP Edge.

Which brings up topic two: The edge flew much slower than the Katana. It was near walking speed, Katana is much more responsive, but need to fly faster.

DT
Old 05-14-2006, 10:18 AM
walleyevision
My Feedback: (21)

I just finished my assembly. I had a few frustrating moments, but everything turned out o.k. Mine arrived with a few broken ribs, which is not uncommon with planes this light. The fairing does not line up exactly with the wing t.e. but I think it will be o.k. I had a hell of a time pulling wires through the channel. Now that it is done, I am very pleased. I really like looking at it, and can't wait to fly it. Just waiting for paperwork to clear for my new club. I think the brand new ys63 in the nose will get her off the ground.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:02 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

So.. what's the flight report wiht the Magnum 91 FS? I just bought this plane and am debating this engine vs. a Magnum 52 XLS 2 stroke.. Much lighter.. but a two stroke..

Sachin