Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

fusion?

Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 AM
profile540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fusion?

I dont see anyone talking about these planes,i would like to see a building thread on the.46 arf that would be cool ,maybe flight reports.Is the manual going to be online?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 PM
YNOT

Default RE: fusion?

It freakin rocks, get either one.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Just Plane Nuts

The kit manual is online. www.ohiomodelplanes.com Click on the Models tab and then on the 52" fusion kit. The link for the manual is on that page about half way down. Mike normally uses the kit manual for the ARFs also just look at the final assembly pages.
Dale
Old 07-08-2006, 02:58 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I like the 90 size Fusion better than the 46 size. Both fly great, but the big Fusion is a lot smoother, and seems to float a little better. The ARF is mindlessly simple to put together. I don't think I even looked atthe manual except to see where the aileron horns went (the manual had a mistake here, anyway!) and to see where the CG went. All you have to do is glue in the fin and stab, mount the radio and engine, glue the hinges, and you're done.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:16 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

JoeBob,

I'm finishing up my big Fusion now. Did you use ALL the supplied hardware? I was going to substitute some of it, but I think it's pretty good quality, even though its all metric.

If you used the stock clevises, how are yours holding up? I didn't like the idea of that small screw being the pivot point of the clevis (like a cheaper version of hayes) but I'm willing to give it a try.

Joe
Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
joebob

I have the small Fusion ARF and the big Fusion kit, which doesn't come with hardware. I wasn't real impressed with the hardware on the small one either, but used everything except the motor mount bolts. So far, it's holding up OK, but I only have a few flights on it. The control horn screws for the rudder an elevator were pretty short, and only allow a few threads to catch. Several of us have made a note of the problems we found and alerted OMP about them. But, overall, they're a great value. If you're used to flying profiles, the Fusion will be a little different. It's a lot smoother, but will still do any 3D manuever with ease. It's one of the easiest to harrier planes I've ever flown, and knife edge is incredible. I like just flying back and forth along the runway doing half knife-edge loops at each end. almost no coupling, even at extreme rudder throws.

The big Fusion has quickly become my favorite plane. I started with a Saito 150 on it, but decided to see how it would fly if it was lighter. So, I put a Magnum 91 2 stroke on it and dropped 12oz. Still flies incredible, and the 91 gives it excellent pullout (Not as good as the Saito, but still good). This plane can fly great at a wide weight range.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:30 AM
lowpasstwo
My Feedback: (127)

wind junkie

What engine are you going to use on your Big Fusion? I bought a OS 120AX for mine and am wondering if I should have went with a OS 91 FX to save some weight.

I did not want to use a pipe on a 91FX (noise and potential mid-range problems) so I thought that I would use the stock muffler setup on the 120AX.

Terry
Old 07-09-2006, 08:29 AM
joebob

I didn't mention this in my last post, but I think the fusion flies a little better at the heavier weight. It cuts through the wind a better. Mike at OMP said the same thing. His prototype was about 7.5lbs. The first kits were coming in at around 7lbs, and he said he actually liked it better at 7.5.

Go ahead and go with the 120. It will do great.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 AM
lowpasstwo
My Feedback: (127)

joebob

Thanks for the reply on the engine weight/size. What are you using for servos and battery?

Terry
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
joebob

I'm using Hitec 5645s all around with a Futaba 3004 on throttle. 2500mah 5 cell NiMh pack. With the Magnum 91 XLS, it weighs right at 7lbs. With the Saito 150, I was at 7lbs 12oz.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 AM
coveredup

Maidened my 40 size this weekend.

Very cool change of pace from a mojo. I need to mess with the CG to steady out upright harriers.

Parachutes, walls, inverted harriers, and especially torque rolls are VERY stable and predictable.

Cant wait to fly it again!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:53 AM
wind junkie

FYI, I flew my big Fusion yesterday. This plane is going to be my favorite VERY soon. I've always loved my super Kaos 60, but when 3D came along, it got stuck in the rafters. This plane really does it all. After I flew Mike's at Nashbro last fall, I had high very high hopes and now that I have my own I can take more chances, and is hasn't disappointed. I'm now bringing her down low and doing all the stuff the rest of my profiles do, but when I want to eat up the sky in a big smooth way, the Fusion jumps at the chance. Like y'all are saying, it's a nice neutral plane with absolutely no bad habits. I stuck with the recommended throws and it's a lot of fun.

As you can see, I spared no expense:

Saito 125 GK
Master Airscrew 16x6 scimitar snug inside red Dubro 2x3/4" spinner
2 JR 3421 minis on elevators
2 JR 9411's on ailerons
1 Hitec 5945 on rudder
1 HS 225 for throttle
Jeff williams gear
Sullivan 10-21 lb tailwheel
Dubro axle shafts.

It weighs 6 lbs 15 oz. I'm going to add wheel pants just for fun and to keep the mud off the wing bottoms on rainy days so that should come to about 7 lbs 2 oz.

I'm a believer in lighter is better for powered planes. I have 2 super Kaos 60's. One I built from a kit came out 6.6 lbs, the other I scratch built and it was 5.75 lbs. The lighter one was a lot more fun to fly for me. If the turbulence gets too bad at the power field, I just go slope soaring where heavier flys better.

The ARF kit is a very good deal. The instructions are good, although the hardware comes with a few items I didn't use and don't know what they're for. I used all the supplied hardware except for the tailwheel, elevator joiner, some misc bolts which were too short or didn't fit for my substitutions listed.

These are the only issues I found:

1) glue not adhering wing tube sleeve at root rib
2) hatch cover didn't fit. Improvised and installed nylon screws at corners
3) vertical stab needed sanding to fin and slightly misaligned resulting in no clearance for rudder at vertical junction. Sanded to fit
4) two ribs were cracked/slightly crushed. I pushed back the pieces into place and CA'd. No big dea, but it is wise to check this
5) minor trim misalignments and tendency to peel due to lack of heat in initial application

The covering they used is different. It is low temp like Ultracote, but the pigment is in the glue (it gets on your iron) like Monokote. Overall they did a very nice job and the plane looks sharp.

My main concern now is to get the motor broken in and then jump to 30% fuel leaned out a little. It's awesome now with 15%, but the future looks even brighter.

She's my new "best gal" and she's going to get flown a LOT!
Old 07-12-2006, 06:32 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

It's amazing how light the fusion ARFs are coming in at. Most at easily sub 7 lbs which is unheard of for a 90 size plane. The OS 91 is plenty of power so be careful with the OS 120 so you son't overspeed the plane. JoeBob is right in that I think the Fusion can fly at a wide range of weights easily up to 8 lbs and maybe more. The first production kit built plane we did which John Drake is now flying weighs close to 7.75 lbs. This is the very plane shown in the Andrew Jesky video and flies frickin awesome. My kit built weight 7 1/4 lbs and does fly lighter obviously but for pure pattern the heavier one naturally tracks through manuevers better.

P.S. We now have fiberglass wheel pants at a very reasonable price for use on the Fusions..or any other plane you want. These are very light and come in yellow or white. They will only be about 10-12 bucks a set and should be on the webpage shortly.