Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

TMPro USA Extra 260 Cool!!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

TMPro USA Extra 260 Cool!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:32 PM
extratorker
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TMPro USA Extra 260 Cool!!

Put a flight on it today. Windy, so I'll hold off on a real flight review till I get more time. One thing I definitley noticed was it was still very nose heavy. Mine is balanced at 4.75" and it was impossible to slow down for any type of high alpha flight, it would immediatley start to stall/snap.

The wheel pants, I don't know why I put them on but they're not really up to the task. Mine pretty much exploded when I landed, and it was an easy landing.

Also, one of the fuel tank zip ties broke, so I'd think about using some others. They're very brittle. I was able to snap the second one in two with little effort.

Take the extra straps that would hold the wheel pants on, and use them on the landing gear at the 90 degree bend on the fuse. My rotates a bit because there is nothing there to hold it on with.

Until I get the CG correct I'll hold off on a full flight review.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 PM
mciaglia

Just noticed in the classified ADs you can get this for 89.00 plus shipping. No real reviews yet but for that price can you go wrong? I was looking at getting the Katana 46" but am giving this a thought. I have a fine tuned Magnum 52 XLS that should haul this around. Really want a profile 3D plane. MOJO is unavailabe at this time. Only other popular choice is the Katana. What does everyone think?

Mark

EF YAK 74", Cap 580, Extra 300EP
Old 01-25-2007, 11:13 AM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: mciaglia

Just noticed in the classified ADs you can get this for 89.00 plus shipping. No real reviews yet but for that price can you go wrong? I was looking at getting the Katana 46" but am giving this a thought. I have a fine tuned Magnum 52 XLS that should haul this around. Really want a profile 3D plane. MOJO is unavailabe at this time. Only other popular choice is the Katana. What does everyone think?

Mark

EF YAK 74", Cap 580, Extra 300EP

Do you have a link to that ad?

Nevermind...I found it.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 PM
decay

Boy they really changed there tune on this one. From
$150 down to $90 in 3 months time. Its gotta be a dog in the
air. Theres more to a good plane than a pretty covering job.
I never did see a good flight review. Feel sorry for the
guys who just paid 150.[:-]
Old 01-25-2007, 10:26 PM
DLK

I feel bad to, I did pay full price. It really is a nice ARF and very complete. I flew it 3 weeks ago in cold weather with an OS.55AX. It flew great and I really flew the daylights out of it. Wide open down wind really to test how it was going to hold up. Yes I know dumb but it took it. Did I do an extensive test like all 3D type, no it was too cold. My buddy ordered one that day and received it 4 days later. Vertical was something else. Does that make it a good or great plane - not enough testing to be sure but first impression is good.

The sale price is low for what you get, regular price too high.

Dave

Old 01-26-2007, 07:01 PM
mciaglia

They had these offered for $89.00 plus S&H, then after one is sold and there are many other offers they are rejected and the price goes up to $99.00. It's not the ten dollars that bothers me it is the poor business practice. IF ten dollars per sale is that important to a company to "increase the visibility of the plane" then I hope they sell at least 9 of them to make up the $90.00 they lost from me. Gonna go buy a Katana
Mark
Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I responded with all offers at $89. If you didn't get it PM me. The factory extended the program for 2 more weeks, but raised the price on us by only $10. But all previous offers have been accepted.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:55 PM
decay

Deceptive marketing torques me too. I heard one of the TMP
big shots is a expert at it. POed a lot of people on a lot of
different forums. (above)
Old 01-26-2007, 09:18 PM
mrbigg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this plane is a nice plane for the cash. wish I had time to get mine together. The big shot at TMP really took care of me. Thanks again Dion.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 PM
mciaglia

STLPilot,

Sorry for the quick judgement of yor company's business practices. I checked and saw the P.M. Just ordered one and am really looking forward to 3Ding this baby and giving a solid flight report once it warms up here in NY.

Mark
Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 AM
mrbigg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mciaglia

STLPilot,

looking forward to 3Ding this baby and giving a solid flight report once it warms up here in NY.

Mark
Hoping it will warm up here too south of Chicago. Them 40 degree days a while back were nice.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:56 AM
STLPilot

You're most welcome Mr. Bigg, hope you enjoy it. Mark same to you.

Yesterday was the coldest day that I have remembered. Might have something to do with the fact that it went from the 60's to 1 in a couple weeks. What ever happened to the days when there were 4 seasons?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:33 PM
budshobby

Those "Side Force Generators" are so yesterday's news. Even George Hicks, the guy who invented it, has stopped putting it in his new airplanes. And SFG on a profile with all that side area? The guy who designed this airplane obviously doesn't know anything about airplane design.

Frankly I never get these "This plane is so cheap you can't possibly go wrong" talk. If something is not what I like to fly, you can't pay me to fly it! I actually feel sorry for the people who paid $89.99 for it. I am willing to bet this plane will be even cheaper next month because everyone I spoke to laughed at me when I mentioned a designer put SFG on a profile.

Deceptive marketing? That's a shock! BTW, you should be able to come up with better spins than blaming the price fluctuation on the manufacturer. We all know the manufacturer doesn't have anything to do with pricing after the item left the factory.

Good luck selling this plane.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
STLPilot

I spoke to laughed at me when I mentioned a designer put SFG on a profile.
Winglets, they serve a different purpose.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:15 PM
decay

ORIGINAL: STLPilot
Winglets, they serve a different purpose.

What purpose might they serve??

I agree ,Lots of luck selling this plane!!! [>:]
Old 01-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Sotos
My Feedback: (12)

Sheesh.... All this negative energy, very uncool.

From Wikipedia:

Such devices increase the effective aspect ratio of a wing, with less added wingspan. An extension of span would lower induced drag, but would increase parasitic drag, and would require boosting the strength and weight of the wing. At some point there is no net benefit from further increased span. There may also be operational considerations that limit the allowable wingspan.

The wingtip devices increase the lift generated at the wingtip, and reduce the lift-induced drag caused by wingtip vortices, improving lift-to-drag ratio. This increases fuel efficiency in powered aircraft, and cross-country speed in gliders, in both cases increasing range.[1]

Old 01-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

Put wing tip plates on a Scooter II 27 years ago in High School and that reduced the dead stick glide angle by 10 degrees. Made the plane a lot more fun.

As general comments not aimed at any distributor or company or person. Let the designer do what he wants and include what he wants with the kit. You as the builder and pilot can do what you want with the parts. Don't knock a design just because there is something you don't care for. You are always free to design and build what you deem to be a superior product and then bring it to market. If, you think it is good enough to share and that you can withstand the criticism you will surely receive.

By the way, Dion, I'm still flying my 80" Edge 540 with MVVS 2.15 on the pipe. I ALWAYS get comments on it. Good recommendation on your part several years back. Thanks.

Doug
Old 01-31-2007, 08:05 AM
STLPilot

I have good news for everyone, if you don't like the winglets, you don't have to add them. In fact you can throw them away when you open the box However, every single flight report we've gotten has told us the winglets do help when flying lines, plain and simple. The best part is that you have a choice to try with and try without.

A profile planform is not the best for cutting lines, just because it has a lot of flat surface, doesn't mean that surface is efficient. A full bodied airplane is much more efficient then a flat profile since it's fuse is shaped like an airfoil. But at stall speeds, that doesnt matter, we know this. This is why you can simply remove them when 3Ding in about 10 seconds.

As far as quality, talk to any owner of this plane or the Katana V2 plane, the quality is top notch.

Thanks for the luck selling them and thanks to the customers who have purchased them.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
mciaglia

Just got my Extra 260 today from UPS (Ordered on Friday late night, pretty quick shipping). Nicely double boxed. Opened the box to find everything nicely packed. Each piece individually wrapped and secured. All surfaces show no evidence of any warp. The covering is impecable and the hardware package is complete. Looks like a real nice plane. It seems there has been some real negative vibe about this plane, but I have yet to hear a real flight report. The "winglets" that have become such a topic double as the popular side force generators seen on several 3D planes (Tribute, Funtana and Showtime) so there is nothing new there. This looks like a great plane. When I have it done I will continue to update as to the flying of it. My even post a few pictures during the build. For everyone with the negative attitude....chill out... its just another plane among the hundreds already out there.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:04 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Hey Guys,

Just to let everyone know...Lanier has just announced the Radical 330. This is another Extra and does it all at a great everyday price. I believe it is the battle tested Goldberg Extreme 330 with some improvements and it doesn't need SFGs to fly right. We have flown the Goldberg version 330 for years around here and find it a real Extreme 3-d monster... check it out! Quality was great and no BS marketing crap…just a great flying 3D plane.

http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/r...es/radical.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67417.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	611507  
Old 02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
aldelp
My Feedback: (76)

I received my Extra 260 yesterday and am very happy with it and the deal. I purchased mine when they were $89.99 and due to the delay of invoice, checkout came up $99.99. A short email explaining this to Dion and it was straightened out. The quality seems to be of high quality and it is avery good looking airplane. I have read this whole thread, and to those bashing, just don't buy it, if you don't like the winglets, don't put them on. I have been in and out of this hobby for 35 years and this was one of the better transactions that I have had. There are a lot of planes out there that I do not like, but I do not need to bash them or the seller. I will bet there are a lot of people that like the ones I do not. I would happily buy another one from Dion.

Al
Old 02-01-2007, 02:42 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

another pic of a great 330
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46379.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	611538  
Old 02-03-2007, 08:28 AM
jmhepler

Hi, this goes out to STLPilot, I made an offer on one of your TMPro 260s on 2/2 and on 2/3. I'm guessing you don't check the site very often or your out of town. Please get back with me. I'm reading about all these other guys getting there planes and how happy they are. Make me happy. Thanks John Hepler
Old 02-03-2007, 10:40 AM
mciaglia

A question...

I have been putting this plane together. One of the easiest ARF's I have ever done. Pretty much done except for the throttle servo. Which "mini/micro" servo is everyone using?

Mark

Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 PM
decay

A Hitec HS- 81 usually works out well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.