Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Supercharged Hot Hots

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Supercharged Hot Hots

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 01:54 AM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharged Hot Hots

I have acquired a new in box OS FS 120S SP Supercharged. My plans are to make a 150% Hot Hots, I have blown up the plans already and ordered $115.00 worth of balsa from Balsa USA, but now I'm second guessing myself. I purposely scaled the 48' Hots to 150% as all the 1/4" wood is now 3/8" and the 1/16"fuselage skin is now 1/8" you get the picture. At 150% the 120 is the same physical size as the 45 when its scaled up. The wing comes out at 72" and 1636 sq in, I would like to lengthen the wing to 80", if I had scaled the 48" plans to 170% the wing span would have been 80' but the fuselage would have been to large. As to the motor I know I could have a more powerful motor for less.... BUT have you guys ever heard one of these roots blown motors spooled up, it will just melt you and at 2.5 hp they are no wimps, as they have a lot more torque because of the blower than a Saito 180. Tell me what you think Thanks LeeU
Old 01-22-2003, 05:02 AM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well :)

You can allready get plans for that size of a Hots . It is called the Ultra Hots. You can order them from M.A.N.

And since You allready have plans for the .40 size Hot Hots. You can use some of the ideas from that and transfer them to the Ultra Hots.

Just an idea
Old 01-22-2003, 01:17 PM
LeeU

Default Ultra Hots

The Ultra Hots and the Hot Hots have few differences, The biggest thing is the airfoil and the tail feathers as well as the HH being a little longer. I have a Morris Hobbies Hot Hots long kit with an Ultra thrust equipped Rossie 45 on it, man that thing is a blast, as long as you keep it light, I love that airplane so much that this is how the Supercharged Giant Hot Hots got into my head. My next airplane was supposed to be a 80" profile Sukhoi with a ZDZ 50 on it BUT RC Showcase can't seam to get me one even though my wife ordered it for me for my birthday in Nov., the Sukhoi will just have to wait I guess.LeeU
Old 01-22-2003, 01:22 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default M.A.N. ?

Being UK not familiar with this ? Where can I buy the plan for the Ultra Hots ?

Thanks - Ditchit
Old 01-22-2003, 01:55 PM
LeeU

Default Ultra Hots

I think that some one was trying to sell a new set on the swap area of RCU, if not RCM has them as well. LeeU
Old 01-22-2003, 05:01 PM
ANeat
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supercharged Hot Hots

Ditchit; MAN is refering to Model Airplane News. There plans are available here http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/plans.asp?catego=PL They have a 91" hots and a 81" hots. There may be other sizes also. There have been quite a few versions and they are all pretty nice.
LeeU your idea sounds pretty good, Like Dream_Flyer posted you might want to take a look at the plans of one of the larger ones to see how some things are done. You can always change the airfoil or anything else as you see fit.
Adam
Old 01-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Dream_Flyer

Default Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :o)

ANeat has it. You can use the Ultra Hots plans as more of a guide to sizes and keep the same fuse as the Ultra Hots except you can modifty it to make it lighter. And then just upsize the wing from the Hot Hots to put onto the Ultra Hots and the same will go for for the Tail .

I scratched out a Super Hots the .60 size verson and it really is a very nice flyer. Even though to me it did come out a tad heavy at 6 pounds with a Saito .91. The main changes to the plans that I made were I left out all of the ply except for fire wall and landing gear block all the other formers are balsa. And I increased the ailerons from the 1.5 in constant cord to 5.5 next to the fuse and 3.5 at the tip . And also increased the rudder by almost 3in and the elavator by 2in. If I did it again though I would not use the Saito .91 I would go with the Saito .72 or YS.63 to save weight. Since this plane will hover at less than 1/4 throttle lol. I am running a Master Airscrew 14-6.

Feel free to yell at me the Hots plans are my favorite
Old 01-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Dream_Flyer

Default Ultra Hots :o)

One more small note. www.abellrc.com is going to be producing the kit once again all lazer cut. Go to the web site and click on whats new.

Happy flying yall
Old 01-22-2003, 06:52 PM
LeeU

Default Giant Hot Hots

I was fortunate enough to talk to Mr. Santich about this project at length, he suggested laminating 1/16" balsa to make 1/4" thick balsa/ply bulkheads to replace the plywood bulkheads,he felt that 3/8" sq stock was good for all the fuselage framing with 1/8" balsa sheet for the skin. He suggested using 1/4" sq stock for the tail feathers with 3/32" balsa skins, I don't think that is sturdy enough for what I plan on doing with this airplane, so I'll be using 3/8" sq stock with 3/32" skins. I'll be using 3/32" skins on the wings that I'll also be making two piece and changing the fuselage to accommodate this. He also suggested that I use 1/2" hard balsa wing spars instead of 1/2" spruce he used on the Ultra Hots and using sheer webs, I plan on having the wing tubes in the center of the rib centered between the 1/2" spars with sheer webs on both sides of the wing tubes to transfer the wing loading to the wing tubes.My reluctance is this enough motor for extreme aerobatics, as I see larger power plants being used on the Ultra Hots, but I think the Hot Hot's version would be a little lighter. LeeU
Old 01-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Dream_Flyer

Default Well :)

It all depends on how light you build it. And yes Dan is a very nice person to talk to very informative.

When he originally built the plane he used an OS. BGX-1 to power it. All I can really say is build light light light . especially from the ballance point back since the OS.1.20 engine I am sure will weigh far less than an OS, BGX-1.

Good luck and Happy Flying
Old 01-23-2003, 05:09 AM
ANeat
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :o)

Originally posted by Dream_Flyer
I increased the ailerons from the 1.5 in constant cord to 5.5 next to the fuse and 3.5 at the tip . And also increased the rudder by almost 3in and the elavator by 2in.
I really like the way you think :devious:
Adam
Old 01-23-2003, 05:24 AM
Dream_Flyer

Default YEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWW :o)

Well ThankYa Partner
Old 02-01-2004, 03:18 PM
cratercreator
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Supercharged Hot Hots

Abell Hobby finaly has the ultra hots shot kit available

http://www.abellrc.com/
Old 02-01-2004, 03:55 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Supercharged Hot Hots

$139.95 for a short kit is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!