Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a profile

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Help me pick a profile

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:03 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Help me pick a profile

I am thinking of going profile. I didn't think I would ever own one because I prefer a more scale look. That being said I think it would help sharpen my flying skills. I built a few SPAD3Ds about 4 years ago. My left thumb learned more from the SPAD then it did in the previous 10 years of flying. I really enjoy 3D. I have a Funtana 50X and a QQ 72" Yak. These are both great planes but I am having trouble with rolling harriers. I think the rudder control of a profile is the ticket.
So that's my introduction. I have been looking at the OMP Fusion in 52". I have a Saito 72 that would be a good fit. I have flown a friends OMP Katana. I liked it will enough but thought the Fusion might be a step up.
Give me some help between these two. If there is something a lot better out there I am willing to look at it also.

Thanks for helping out a traitor, David
Old 11-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Jeffro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help me pick a profile

David,

I have flown both of these airplanes and both are very good models but my preference would be the Fusion. I own both the 67" and 52" versions and these are some of the best airplanes I've ever flown. The airplane that taught me to do rolling harriers was the OMP 65" Yak.....and still my all time MOST FUN AIRPLANE TO FLY!!

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 11-26-2006, 08:51 PM
daveopam

Thanks for the quick response Jeff. I looked at the 67" fusion also. I have a ST 90 that I am sure would fly it,But I would preffer it with a Saito 1.25. I just dont have a 1.25. What kind of power do you have in your profiles?

Thanks David
Old 11-26-2006, 11:19 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I am thinking of going profile. I didn't think I would ever own one because I prefer a more scale look. That being said I think it would help sharpen my flying skills. I built a few SPAD3Ds about 4 years ago. My left thumb learned more from the SPAD then it did in the previous 10 years of flying. I really enjoy 3D. I have a Funtana 50X and a QQ 72" Yak. These are both great planes but I am having trouble with rolling harriers. I think the rudder control of a profile is the ticket.
So that's my introduction. I have been looking at the OMP Fusion in 52". I have a Saito 72 that would be a good fit. I have flown a friends OMP Katana. I liked it will enough but thought the Fusion might be a step up.
Give me some help between these two. If there is something a lot better out there I am willing to look at it also.

Thanks for helping out a traitor, David
I'm real curious here.........why do you consider yourself a TRAITOR....if you build and Profiles??

If anything at all....just consider yourself as FINALLY WAKING UP!!! Now you can really learn how to fly.........
Old 11-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Hobby-Motory

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4469386/tm.htm

Any more questions?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:12 AM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

I think you will really like the OMP 52" Fusion for your Saito 72. There is also a Sabre 40 that would be good with a SA72.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

The Fusion is more of a "Pattern" style profile. Good for both standard style aerobatics and 3D. The Sabre is a pure 3D machine that is significantly better than the fusion if you are really into 3D. Today there is a huge difference in flight capability between profiles. Pick the one that fits your intended flying style.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:13 AM
daveopam

RCManiac119 I threw the traitor in there because I have said for many years I would not fly a profile. I was at a fly in last year and there were a few guys there from the "profile brotherhood". They gave me a pretty hard time. All in fun of course. I just thought it would be fun to go back next year with a profile and out fly their butts. Plus I really feel a profile will sharpen my skills.

Wings-RCU.....Were can I see the Sabre on line?

David
Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Wings-RCU

The Fusion is more of a "Pattern" style profile. Good for both standard style aerobatics and 3D. The Sabre is a pure 3D machine that is significantly better than the fusion if you are really into 3D. Today there is a huge difference in flight capability between profiles. Pick the one that fits your intended flying style.

Wings is right. The Fusions are designed to be "Freestyle" airplanes or "artistic flying" planes. They will excel at both pattern and 3d. Don't be fooled by unproven advertisment hype from immataions of the Fusion. For a pure 3d only machine there are many selections. The Katanas in both the 46 and 70 size are what I would consider pure 3D planes. The Yaks and Edges are also pure 3d planes. The Fusions do take more skill to fly while the others are easy to learn 3d with. Like Wings says, pick the plane that fits your style of flying.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 AM
daveopam

Thanks for chiming in Mike. I still have not made a decision between the Katana and Fusion. Maybe you can answer on other question for me. CAn I get these from my LHS(Mikes Models in OKC) or do you only sell direct. My wife is going to get one for me for X-mas. I need to tell her where.

Thanks David
Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

David, Try:
http://www.billyhellrc.com/sabre40.html

In the profile world the OMP Edge & Mojo are on the very stable end, while the Chinn Yak and Sabre are looser 3d'n machines that demand a better pilot to take advantage of their capability. If you plan to out fly a group of "Bros" with a profile, better buy some of each and start practicing now. Some of those guys are amazing.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:22 PM
mikec3d

BUY A MOJO .60 .....HAND'S DOWN THE EASIEST SLAB TO DO C-R-A-Z-Y 3 D STUFF. I bought my first slab, MoJo 60 w/ Saito 100 and it freakin rocks Dude, every body at my club turned their nose up at it when I told them I was building one, then they saw it fly, flew it them selves and now they havem too............. YOU CAN DO IT..........$90 kit 4 rolls of covering, hard ware and you wont give a **** if you dork it. mine has hit the ground several times , HARD, and I have'nt made a repair yet, broke a couple props, dinged the wing tip a lil, but nothing has broke yet. BAD ASS....
Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I built a few SPAD3Ds about 4 years ago. My left thumb learned more from the SPAD then it did in the previous 10 years of flying.
Yep, that pretty much sums up the primary purpose of the 3D Spad planes such as the SPA3D, PBF, Qhor, and McDDD.

I am having trouble with rolling harriers. I think the rudder control of a profile is the ticket.
You're correct. Rudder control is one of the keys to figuring out the rolling harrier.......but it has nothing to do with the plane being a profile or not. Your old SPA3D will work fine for learning rolling harriers. Here's proof:
http://www.spadtothebone.com/videos/the_big_mcddd.wmv
Old 11-27-2006, 11:35 PM
aerofundan

Get a Precision Aerobatics Badboy V2, best quality profile there is, really light, here are my video of this plane

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/v...%20Aerofun.wmv

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/v...aerofundan.wmv

If most of you are wondering who is the distributor, Right now it is being distributed by Atlantahobby.com
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Jerry Brown

Put that 72 on a MOJO. You'll love it!!! Billy hell as the ARF if you don't want to build. Very light but strong with the fiberglass spar in the fuse. Hovers and all 3D great.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:09 PM
daveopam

Thanks to one and all for the help. After looking at videos and web sites. I decided the Fusion would fit my needs the best. I ordered the all yellow ARF last night.

Thanks Again,
David
Old 11-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Spacey

Fusion!!! Fusion!!! Fusion!!! Aaaand the crowds go wild!!! Again btw. Hehehe

Good choice Dave, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Anybody want to buy me a Fusion kit for x-mas? I'll help pay postage to South Africa?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:37 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Thanks to one and all for the help. After looking at videos and web sites. I decided the Fusion would fit my needs the best. I ordered the all yellow ARF last night.

Thanks Again,
David
Thanks David, you won't be dissapointed. The Fusion will give you the ability to put together awesome "freestyle" flying by combing pattern and 3d....just like the big boys do at the XFC!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 PM
onewinglow
My Feedback: (1)

Try a Sig Ultimate fun fly, I had one and mounted the servos in the aft part of fuse and ran my Satio 72 with a APC 14-4 wide blade, It was a torque rolling fool. Great plane and it is small enough to transport easily. here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	581628  
Old 12-22-2006, 11:02 AM
daveopam

onewinglow, Thanks for the tip. I am afraid a light weight bipe in the windy state I live in is not practical. I have the Fusion under the X-mas tree right now. I have all the servos and engine but the wife wont let me start on it till after X-mas.

David
Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Jack Skip

Any flight updates?