Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Scatch built fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:01 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scatch built fuse

Hi everyone,

I have a 76" ultra stick wing with the quad ailerons i picked up real cheap and i thought they would make a good start on a profile plane using a 2 stroke 2.10. Does anyone know where i could find a set of plans to build a fuse that would have the correct dimensions for this size wing.

I'd like to use that pink or blue foam.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-16-2006, 02:50 PM
wahoo

Default RE: Scatch built fuse

Maybe this was the wrong place to ask this question. Do the moderators have any objections to me reposting it in another forum? like maybe the Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD

Old 12-17-2006, 07:45 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just use plans from an 72" span Extra, Giles, etc.......Would be nice to have the old fuse to trace around. You could make that the template for the flat fuse.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:28 AM
wahoo

Thanks for the advice MrBigg.

I've never attempted anything like this before and the reason i asked about the plans was to give me an idea on where i would need to add internal bracing for strength.

I plan on using either that pink or blue foam from any home improvement store sheeted with thin balsa.

I know i will need to glue in some hardwood in the obvious places such as servo and engine rails but the fuse will be pretty long and i have no idea as to how much or little internal bracing it will need. I want it as light as possible but strong too.

I own 3 profiles (V2 Kat 70, Zero-G and a Accel 30" electric Katana) and they are all built balsa ARFs so theres no help in looking at any of them for any ideas.

Thanks,
John

P.S. Very nice job on that huge bipe mrbigg.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the compliment. You know OMP has the 80" Edge kits for 199.00 with free shipping. That would be perfect for your 2.10 and save you a bunch of work.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

John, this should make a neat project. The Ultra-stik wing is a pretty good wing actually and the quad flaps can make for interesting programming on your tx and some new capability in the air. Anyway, you should download the instructions from my giant profile like the 80" Edge and look how I do those fuses. You have the right idea by going 1" thick foam sheeted with 1/16th balsa. Plan ahead for your servo mounts, wing mounting, engine mounts, landing gear mounts, and stab location. Use 1/16th ply for the front doublers to add strength and tie the engine, landing gear, and wing structure together and it should be plenty strong. You can also add some hatches for battery, rx, pretty much anywhere you need.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:43 AM
wahoo

I have a brand new 76" Ultra Stick wing and a new set of tail feathers from a Great Planes Giles 202.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSF56&P=OW

The thought of the OMP Edge has crossed my mind a few times but i'd still have the wing and tail set sitting around gathering dust. I've only built one true builders kit and that was many many years ago. I figure if i can get an idea on how to build a fuse out of that pink or blue foam and design it around that wing and tail i own, it would cut building time considerably.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-21-2006, 08:00 AM
AFSalmon

Were you able to look at the OMP foam fuse construction methods?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 PM
wahoo

Hello All,

Mike i sure did check out the OMP 80" edge construction page and what i came to realize is that i'd be a fool to attempt such a project without at least some idea of the dimensions i was looking for earlier. Like i've stated in the past, I'm NO builder by any means. Theres more to designing the fuse then there is at building one from a kit.

I find putting together an ARF to be a royal PITA for the most part so to completely design and build a fuse will be a handful. On the other hand with the required guidance i'm sure i could handle it.

This entire endeavor is totally your fault if the truth be known. [:@]
Had i not purchased the V2 Kat 70 from OMP I'd still be flying the fatties and not enjoying this hobby as much as i am right now. I can't stress enough how much i enjoy flying this plane. It does everything i'm capable of and from viewing the vids online theres seems to be no limit to its capabilities and with the help of AFPD i hope to achieve one day, yet it's more docile than any other plane i've ever flown......trainers included.

I have 3 brand new ARF's waiting to be built. ( World Models Fun World 3D, Creek Hobbies 72" 330L and a 33% H9 330L) but i thought this idea would be a fun challenge and maybe with a little guidance from you and the rest of the crew here on RCU i just might try to takle it. If theres a chance of you putting together just the required materials and the plans for the 80" edge fuse that i could buy this could become a reality.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 AM
AFSalmon

Wahoo, there's one thing about the guys around here and that is there is tons of help. Most folks enjoy build threads and especially custom projects. I know I do. I'd say get a little more experience completing your ARF projects and then go for the flattie fuse. Just lay out all your requirements and design/performance ideas and we'll be here to help. If you do decide to use maybe the 80" Edge fuse then I can certainly help you with whatever you need.

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:27 PM
ericthetree
My Feedback: (11)

I've found that an old graphite driver golf shaft stiffens a foam fuse rather nicely