Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Team OMP Presents the Boxxer ARF!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Team OMP Presents the Boxxer ARF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:56 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Team OMP Presents the Boxxer ARF!

Stop by the OMP booth in Toledo, and see the Boxxer ARF!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:30 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

That's one kewel [sm=thumbs_up.gif] looking covering job. Now I want one!

JW
Old 03-15-2007, 11:37 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

looks killer. Any chance this will be available in white (although the covering does look good) like the initial batch of fusion ARFs? Also, are the wings removable?

Sachin
Old 03-16-2007, 05:55 AM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

The top wing is removable.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:24 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

The first batch will be all color schemes like the pictures. We might do all white in the next run though if folks want that. As Wessco says the top wing is removable. The bottom wings are two piece as manufactured and glued onto the sides of the fuse with carbon fiber rods running through the fuse as spars. It is intended to be permanent just like the kit is. However it would not be too hard to modify the arf slightly to have the bottom wings removable. You could use a set of wing bolts simlar to how the Fusions are constructed. Just a thought....
Old 03-16-2007, 08:03 AM
TailTwister

The wing hatches are a little small for a removable wing mod. Not impossible, just a little tight. Instead of gluing the rods into both sides, you could just glue one, and set up the bolts as Mike said. It will cost you a setr of bolts, washers, blind nuts, and a small piece of ply to make a backing plate for the nuts. Something like a pair of 10-32 nylon bolts would do it.

The top wing comes off with a few 4-40 bolts.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
skukreja

Sounds awesome.. Got any pics of the fusion setup for the wing connection.. It doesn't sound like it would be that difficult to pull off.. Also, where are the videos

Sachin

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

The first batch will be all color schemes like the pictures. We might do all white in the next run though if folks want that. As Wessco says the top wing is removable. The bottom wings are two piece as manufactured and glued onto the sides of the fuse with carbon fiber rods running through the fuse as spars. It is intended to be permanent just like the kit is. However it would not be too hard to modify the arf slightly to have the bottom wings removable. You could use a set of wing bolts simlar to how the Fusions are constructed. Just a thought....
Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM
TailTwister

Vids of the Boxxer ARF will debuit shortly after Toledo.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:12 AM
skukreja

cool... so, I can't tell from the pictures, do both the right and left wings have hatches that a bolt could be passed through?

Sachin
Old 03-17-2007, 03:52 AM
zac dady

when wear and yes the check will be in the mail. thanks the fuson rocks but this looks lot of like a bunch of fun.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 AM
TailTwister

Yes, there are hatches on top of the wings, both panels.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
TailTwister

We sold every OMP Boxxer ARF we brought to Toledo (except for mine), so I wanted to bump this thread, for question and answer. There are many more Boxxers on their way, due in Ohio in a couple of weeks, I'm told.

Also, after we sold a few, we found that not all Boxxers had the CD manuals in the box. If you want a copy, please PM me your email addy, and I'll send you an e-copy. Otherwise, this thread is pretty much a copy/paste, of the manual.

Questions are welcome here. I hope you enjoy the OMP Boxxer ARF.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
skukreja

how much?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 PM
TailTwister

The show special was $200. I'm not sure what the street price on the rest will be. John and Mike handle all that.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 AM
AFSalmon

The pro bro fans have spoken and demanded we produce and keep the Boxxer price under 200 so we will leave the price the same as the show price at $199. The first batch we had airfreighted in as we expected delays in the container shipping (pretty much normal with shipping, customs, etc.!) We never looked at the airfreight cost as we were sure that was a SCARY number! I'll get the manual up on the webpages asap so anyone who is missing a manual can download it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:12 PM
TailTwister

BTW...

4.21 pounds.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Bolio

Where is the vid?????
Toledo is over and we don't want to thkink the your caring too much for the plane.......[>:]
Saludos.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:52 AM
AFSalmon

I think he's got to clear off all the northern snow!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 AM
TailTwister

Believe it or not, it's rain.[:@] Tomorrow morning looks like a good day, but video might not happen. My chief cinematographer went to college...
Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 PM
TailTwister

Boxxer ARF set Up:
Saito 82 (Cooper 30% Nitro fuel)
Pro Zinger 15x4
5 Cell 600mah NiCad
Spektrum AR 7000 receiver
Spektrum 821 servos for surfaces
HS-225 MG for throttle
4.21 pounds on my digital scale.

Boxxer ARF Flight Report:

Taxi- It did.

Take off- It did.

Landing- It did.

Trim- I added three clicks of left aileron and three clicks of down elevator. Invert flight required just a little down elevator to hold level flight. My CG is at 1.25 inches forward of the trailing edge of the top wing, at the center. Recommended starting point is 1 inch.

Control Response- Roll is smokin’. Yaw is very powerful. Pitch is strong inside, and not quite as strong outside. I may program slightly more down than up elevator throw to equal out the feel of the plane.

Hovers- 10 On the maiden, I’m at ground level close enough to reach out and touch the top wing. It’s fast to torque, so watch it!

Torques- 10 Anywhere near vertical, and the Boxxer ARF wants to torque. I was able to hold off the torque with aileron, but once centered, torques get going and wind up pretty good as you burp power.

Upright Elevator- 10 Just hold the elevator back, with a few clicks of power, and the Boxxer ARF starts to drop out of the sky, straight and true.

Invert Elevators- 8 Same as upright, but hold just a hint of right aileron and right rudder. On it’s back, it wants to roll into a spin.

Upright Harriers- 10 A new 3D pilot could learn how to upright harrier on a Boxxer ARF. It was smooth and steady as stone. I was doing harrier figure 8s with about a 20 foot radius on each side. The Boxxer likes ANY angle of attack. It’s not picky at all.

Invert Harriers- 7 I could do them yes. I ended holding a bit of right aileron and right rudder to get a straight line. Holding only the aileron gets you a smooth left turning harrier about 100 feet radius. It’s a little work, but in the span of a single flight, I could do it pretty well. Throttle and tail control are the key to smoothing out the invert.

Snaps and Spins- 10 Simply insane how “wound up” the Boxxer can get. Up elevator spins are a little better, but even down elevator snaps and spins are very impressive.

Blenders- 10 Wow! Dive, roll left, count to two, snap with right rudder and down elevator. As soon as the snap begins, center the ailerons and burp the power. Wow!

Walls- 10 Simply a non event. Pull it, and it pops straight up.

Parachutes- 8 You need to coordinate hitting a hint of power as the Boxxer rotates, otherwise you will drop the left wing. I worked to roll into the throttle a few clicks about half way into the chute, and I was getting a nice flat chute that way.

Waterfalls- 6 This is the only maneuver I felt the plane was missing. Yes, it would do them, but they were pretty loose. Like a real tight outside loop rather then a waterfall. Maybe a more aft CG will help, maybe not. I’ll experiment. It’s worth the effort to figure this out.

Rollers- 9 If anything, the Boxxer needs a little less aileron response to do a decent roller. Even at a snails pace harrier, the roll response (at full throw) is substantial. I had to back off the aileron stick a bit, to get a well timed roller. Once in the groove, it’s a blast to watch the Boxxer roll to the horizon, or in a tight little circle. Remember you will be giving a hint more down than up elevator, to compensate for the “bipe factor”, unless you programmed in a slight differential, as mentioned above.

Knife Edge Flight- 9.5 At flying speed, there is just a hint of roll coupling with the rudder. I had to give just a breath of aileron into my rudder. I’m talking just a hint. I try to keep with whole numbers when I rate, but this is really almost perfect.

H.A.K.E.- 8.5 As the plane slows, and more rudder is added, there is slightly more roll coupling. It is still correctable in flight, and I’ll likely not even mix this out. Also, I picked up just a hint of pitch, but only in a left rudder KE. Right rudder KE had no pitch, and about the same roll. Again, I prefer whole numbers, but it’s better than 8, and not quite a 9.

Flips- 10 I love this maneuver. Harrier around, and bang the throttle with full up elevator, and the Boxxer does a tight little back flip. It really doesn’t even lose much altitude. Even down as low as 6 or 8 feet, I felt safe doing this. I was working on starting in a harrier, doing the flip, then dropping into an elevator. That’s a pretty neat looking combo.

Overall I’ll say this. The Boxxer ARF is plainly and simply well thought out and perfectly executed. It can be a stable, fun to fly, and enjoyable plane, or it can turn it loose and wow spectators all in the same flight.

Pics and vids once I'm not the only person out at the field...
Old 04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
TailTwister

Page is up!

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/42boxxerarf/
Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
karlwatt
My Feedback: (14)

OMG!!!!! WOW!!!!! I have been dreaming of this, and thinking about it just today as I wandered onto this thread. I have the kit and just have not been able to muster up the time or energy to build it amongst all the other projects.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
TailTwister

Old 04-24-2007, 09:30 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone has any questions on this bird, just post them in this thread. I don't come over to RCU much, but I'll try to monitor the thread and answer every question I can....
Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
TailTwister

After Jeremy read this flight report, he emailed me, and mentioned that by slamming a bunch of flapperon in there, the Boxxer should improve the waterfalls.

Yes, way better. I'm not a big flapperon guy, but the maneuver changes from a tight outside loop into a real waterfall. You have to bump the rudder a hint, going over the top, to end up back vertical, but it does it.

Flapperons also make walls happen way fast. [8D]

Anyone else got theirs assembled yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.