Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Fun Fly Contest Ideas

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Fun Fly Contest Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Just Plane Nuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun Fly Contest Ideas

Even though this is a profile / fun fly forum we mostly talk about profiles here. I want to change up things a little bit and talk fun fly's. This year I am my club's contest director. I have some contests in mind that I have thought up and I have been given some ideas from my friend Jeff as well. But I thought it would be cool to see what kind of contests idea's that other people can come up with. So if you have a club favorite post it here and we can use this thread to pass ideas back and forth to each other. I am looking for ideas for my club that any pilot of any skill level can compete in. I believe that if the new pilots can be involved in such activities that they will stick around after they learn how to fly and become active members of the club. I know it worked for me. As a newbie I had just got my wings when I decided to enter a contest at the field that looked easy enough that I could do it. So I participated came in dead last but in the process got to know a few guy's in the club and here I am 6 years later trying to run contests for the club. So lets here what you've got.
Thanks,
Dale
Old 04-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Fun Fly Contest Ideas

These should get you started:

HOT PLANE/HOT PILOT EVENTS:

1. Dixie Death - Take off, do three rolls, three loops, and three spins (any order), and land. Fastest time wins.
2. Roops - Take off, do one roll, one loop (5 times), land. Fastest time wins.
3. Touch & Go’s - Do 10 T & G’s in the fastest time.
4. Limbo - Set the ribbon at one height, fastest 5 passes under it wins.

SKILL EVENTS:

1. Spot Landing or Spot T & G - Mark a spot on the runway, fly 10 passes, most number of hits in it wins.
2. Limbo - Fly under progressively lower ribbons. Lowest pass wins.
3. Bomb Drop - Bomb in a paper cup rubber banded to the plane. Drop it on the spot. Closest wins.
4. Bean Carry - Same cup, 5 - 10 dry beans. Take off, fly the pattern, land. Most beans in cup wins. If you get too many ties, add a maneuver like a loop or roll.
5. Balloon Break - Pilot attempts to break tethered (or loose) helium-filled balloons. Fastest time wins. Use 2 - 5 pound fishing line for the tether.
6. Leap Frog - Touch and Go in 2-4 spots along the runway, depending on space.

LUCK EVENTS:

1. Glow Plug/Prop Race - From 100 feet away, carry your glow plug in a teaspoon or your prop in your hand to your plane, install, taxi across a line. First across wins.
2. Cracker Whistle - Eat 10 saltines, whistle, then take off. First in the air wins.
3. Mail Run - Plane on runway, engine running. Partner runs to plane and touches tail (delivers mail). Plane takes off, flys pattern, lands. Does not taxi after landing. Partner runs to wherever plane is, touches tail (picks up mail) and runs back to starting line. Fastest time wins.
4. Poker Hand - Draw two cards from a 4 suit A-K-Q-J-10 deck. Make rest of hand by 3 spot T & G’s in marked areas.
5. Blind Taxi - Pilot stands with back to plane. Helper tells him how to taxi through gates on the runway. Fastest time wins.
6. Balloon Break - Pilot attempts to break balloons tied to the ground. Fastest time wins.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Fun Fly Contest Ideas

Dale,

Here's a totally off the wall idea but has been used at another local OH club years ago: Come up with whatever contest stunts you want to...does not matter. Judging is made by all the wifes or non-flyers who pick scores out of a hat. The winner gets a trophy that obviously rotates from contest to contest. This type contest is obviously totally for fun and the winner is random....unless the wifes have a secret ballot. It can be a lot of fun and all the pressure is removed!