Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Kat v2 46 on the way

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Kat v2 46 on the way

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 04:11 AM
isaacslaw
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kat v2 46 on the way

Hi guys -- I just ordered a Kat v2 46 from OMP. I was wondering what modifications, if any need to be done.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:06 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Kat v2 46 on the way

Add your stuff, and wring it out Bro!!!

It flies great.

What you got for set up stuff?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:02 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

just build and fly!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 AM
TailTwister

Yup, the Kats are still my favorite 40 sizer. I've had quite a few.

Put your stuff in, and go enjoy it.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:23 PM
isaacslaw

THanks guys -- pretty remarkable -- every arf I've put together, something needs done to it -- this will be a first flying it bone stock. I do have some of the tetherrite gear, though, and will weigh the plane then decide whether to add them or not. My set up is also pretty basic:

OS 46AX
APC 12.25X3.75 prop
GWS Standard Servos
HS81MG servo for throttle
4.8v 1700 NIMH for power

Seems to only be a few videos out there -- anyone know where some more are?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:01 PM
TailTwister

Mine ended up with Tetherites. The wire gear is tough as nails, but if you put it in good, the wire gear just rips out of the fuselage. So just don't put it in good, OK?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a Kat 46 V2 and OMP did their homework on this one. A good design that's well built with no modifications required.

Since I fly off of grass, the only thing I modified was to replace the tail gear with a plastic skid. Other than that, the Kat 46 V2 is bone stock.

However, if you've already got some tetherites you might want to use them since they are an improvement over the stock wire gear.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 AM
flyhardkiwinz

i got my Kat v2 here in new zealand a week ago. Just about put together-yahoo. putting in standard gear of a 1400 on board battery,JR ball bearing standard servos and a new JR 2610 radio with a two year old Irvine 46 motor. Will use the apc prop as recommended here 12.25x3.75.

brought this kit that i am very impressed with the quality for $245.00 New zealand dallor.

Our club flies off a grass strip that is like a smooth bowling green!.

"go hard or go home!"

regards

Simon
Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 AM
XJet
Banned

Hey FlyHard...

You should have bought a Katana P from TopRC a year or two ago -- they cost just $123. Mine's still flying!

Personally I think that $250 for a 40-sized profile is *way* too expensive. I got my Katana 70 ARF for $220 and a fellow club member picked one up from TradeMe for $170 or so.

If you're ever up this way, come out and fly with us, we've got quite a few profiles in the club. I've got a Katana P, Katana 70, Mojo 60, GeeBee 46 and Tango 50 (with another Mojo on the board).

By they way, you'll need some *real* undercarriage legs for that Kat 46. I've ended up making carbon undercarriages for all the profiles in our club -- wire or aluminum just doesn't last once you start hucking these things hard :-)

We'd like to run a profile 3D weekend here in Tokoroa sometime later this year -- are you interested?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 AM
isaacslaw

My plane arrived here unscathed, and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. This kit is really really nice. -- Bigger than I expected from the pictures and very "solid" feeling. It seems to go together relatively easy as well.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:56 PM
isaacslaw

It's just about together -- just the radio to set up and balance the plane -- should fly it tomorrow. The only things I can say about it are that there seems to be a different tail wheel in the kit -- intstructions don't mention anything, but I think it's better. I put a screw eye in the rudder to steer it with -- seems to work well. Also, there is no mention of how to route the antenna wire. I used a plastic tube and went out the side of the wing with it.

I am slightly dissappointed with the weight. I was expecting 4- 4 1/2 pounds. It looks like mine will come in right about 5 pounds even. Not sure what I did wrong here -- equipment as listed in post #1 above, but it should still fly alright with the os 46ax and 12.25X3.75 APC right?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine came out at exactly 5 pounds too and it flys just fine.

OS 55 AX
APC 13x4
Futaba 9252 (x4)
Tower TS-53 on throttle
6 volt 900 mah AAA NiMH
Old 05-18-2007, 04:26 PM
isaacslaw

Maiden flight today. This plane is really good. I was kind of expecting it to be a bit "twitchy" as it has really large control surfaces, but it really can fly pretty calmly when you choose. Landings I think must be the best part of the plane so far -- they are really easy to slow it down to a walk and plop it down while goosing the throttle. The screw eye I added to the tail steering arm works really well making ground handline really nice. My CG was at 5 1/4 inches per manual and is too far forward. FLat spins are not flat and inverted requires a bit of down stick -- I will be moving it back by 1/2 inch increments I think.

Also, I have to balance the plane laterally. Waterfalls kept going off to the side. Once I get it a bit more trimmed I think this one will be a winner and a half. Harriers were sort of weathervaning with the wind, but the rudder is really strong and you could keep it on course with a blip or two of throttle and rudder. Hovering was pretty good too, but I'm not that good at hovering so we'll see as I improve.

Rolling Harriers (as much as I can do them) seem nice -- just getting used to the rudder authority. Plane needs less rudder on these and more elevator. Rolling circle and slow rolls are not super smooth, but really not bad considering how short coupled this plane is. I was expecting it to be "sloppy' in this department but not bad. I did a really nice runway-long slow roll and was able to keep the plane pretty axial -- nice. I think it has much to do with confidence that comes with this plane. Stalls are not possible as far as I can tell with this plane -- the wing area is just so large that at low speed, the plane just sort of goes with a slightly nose down attitude. High speed stalls did happen and I got a VERY slight snap when pulling hard elevator on high rates at speed, but I believe that is more of a lateral balance issue.

The APC 12.25X3.75 is just a hare too much prop for my OS 46 AX. I still have the baffle in the muffler, though, so I am going to remove it and see if the throttle response is better. If not, I will try a 12X4 or an 11X5 or something. Has anyone used a tuned pipe with the 46ax on this plane? Is it hard to do or easy set up -- is it cheap or pricey?
Old 05-19-2007, 08:54 AM
rclement

Sounds like your Katana is doing well. I used a Macs muffler tuned pipe on my Katana 40 GS and found that I took 2 oz. of weight off the front of the plane. The Macs is 2 oz lighter than the stock 46 AX muffler. It worked great with it but I had to move the elevator servo to the wing and operated it with a carbon fiber rod back to the tail. I know it sounds like an odd set up but it was a perfect set up for it. Kyle flew it and loved it. Also I used the 12.25 x 3.75 APC prop and found that it was perfect for the 46 AX.
My GS finally bit the dust after it drop on landing from about 2 to 3 feet up and split the fuse in half.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27507.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	687219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13038.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	687220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55951.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	687221  
Old 05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
isaacslaw

That last picture is hilarious!!! It looks like a giant Katana sitting on the roof ha ha ha. Nice flying though. I have moved the muffler from my ASP .52 over to my OS 46AX. I will test this tomorrow or early next week. I looked at the macs tuned pipes and they are a bit pricey for me -- at least while I have some free options.

I keep looking at the tail of this plane and think that it looks a bit plain. I believe what it really needs is a flame job on there.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:02 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: isaacslaw

That last picture is hilarious!!! It looks like a giant Katana sitting on the roof ha ha ha.
Yeah, isn't that a funny picture? Looks like I parked in on the covered area. One in a million photo shot.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 AM
isaacslaw

OH NO!!!! She went in! My first experience with flutter. It's completely my fault -- not the models. I had it a little over half throttle and was flying it with my right hand on A/E and pushed it into a dive while trimming the rudder with my left. It was building up some speed, then all of a sudden a distinct buzzing noise for about .5 seconds, then my left aileron and left half of the elevator separated. Looked like it was hit with a shotgun. The right aileron came off after that in the spiral dive of death. I managed to shut the engine off prior to impact, but it was just completely non-responsive on the way down. It hit nose first into dirt. I think the engine will be allright as the crank is not obviously bent and the bearing are not making any noise. Fuse cracked in half. I never found the elevator half, but found both ailerons in tact and the wood pulled out from the trailing edge.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Hobby-Motory

Very important information, you can purchase spare parts; fuse, half wing, stab, etc.. seperate.

there is an easier way to get them in where you from :

www.tmproeurope.com