Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Magic owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 04:54 AM
rickster169

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic owners thread

I have a OS 40 LA Eng I have not flown yet I am hoping to this weekend do you think I can go unlimited Vertical
Old 03-13-2003, 05:16 AM
Lazy Pilot

I have a Thunder Tiger GP 42 on mine with a tuned pipe. It gives unlimited vertical. I think your 40 LA should be about the same. Put a mousse can pipe (MCP) on it to get more RPM and power.

It's not as good as my Webra 40 though. As soon as I get the busted crank fixed, put the new carb and milled head on, it will be back on the plane. It should really scream.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:33 AM
rickster169

where can I get a mcp pipe
Old 03-13-2003, 12:28 PM
tailspnr
My Feedback: (1)

You start out by going to the grocery store and picking up the cheapest can of mousse that you can find. Then you go to the hobby store for a Macs header, 1/4" K&S aluminum tubing and some JB Weld.......and then you read the articles below and they tell you how to complete your new MCP!!! Good luck.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/hobby/mcm.htm

http://www.geocities.com/paducahrc/Article3a.html

http://www.macspro.com/old/index.html
Old 03-13-2003, 03:11 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Rickster, If you put a MCP on it you'll probably be alright as long as you keep everythig lite....................John
Old 03-13-2003, 11:21 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like a good combo. I used the 46 because I already had the engine but I prefer 4 cyl for the power band.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:59 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Magic owners thread

Originally posted by Lazy Pilot

Also, has anyone seen the "Heckler"? It's essentially a copy of the Weaver's Whatsit and it was designed by the guys at Wing Tote. I saw it fly at an RC show in Washington State and it rocks.
I have seen one of the prototypes at the field by the guy that designed it. He sold the rights to wingtote as I gathered from him. Flew great!! It looks like a magic/Weaver Whatsit to mee too.

Anyone put a saito .72 on a magic???
Old 03-14-2003, 06:23 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack the thread but the Heckler 3D is awesome. In addition to the Weaver Whatsit, a lot of guys might have heard of the Polar Bear. These are all the same planes. Under 4 lbs with a Webra 32/MCP and it accelerates vertically from a hand launch like a rocket.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:16 PM
gordyd4

Just ordered a new Rossi 53 with header and muffled tuned pipe........should have it for next weekend. I can't wait to run this bad boy. Now I just need to learn how to program my 9Z radio to take advantage of all these mods I have done to this plane.

What is the most rearward balance that anyone has used? I have read somewhere 5.5 inches and am assuming that was from the firewall.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Lazy Pilot

Well I sure can't wait until the Heckler gets shipped. I have a couple Webra 40's and a 50 as well. I think I may sell one for a 35 Aero and slap it on a Heckler.

A 53? Man, that's a lot of engine. You may get some vertical out of that.

Obviously FlyFalcon is very familiar with all that is cool as far as small and radical 3D palnes go.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:08 AM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

Lazy Pilot,
Have you heard good things about the Webra 35 Aero? I've got one on the way.

Wade
Old 03-16-2003, 06:19 AM
Lazy Pilot

Well I know that the Webra 35 heli rocks. I have a friend with one on a Magic. He took the head off and ground the fins down so it looks like an airplane motor. It took forever to break that thing in. Now it runs great.

That's really the only experience I have with the 35. I know everyone that deals the 32 says there's something special about it that can't be duplicated in the other sizes for some reason and for some reason it's always a few bucks more.

The 40's I have are great. They just have slow throttle response until they're really broken in. The 50 is awesome and weighs the same as the 40. With the stock exhaust it turns some hellacious RPMs.

So, I guess we'll see how the 35 aero works out. I'm sure it will be great as all Webra's seem to be.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:26 AM
WADE

Yep, I expect good things from the 35. Supposedly it's a ringed engine. May take a while to break in.

Wade
Old 03-18-2003, 12:41 AM
JoeFly43

I find that if I enter a normal spin with rudder AND aileron, let a few rotations happen and then S L O W L Y move to opposite aileron, most models I have flown (that the CG is aft enough) will flatten out. Moving the stick slowly prevents the drag from the aileron stopping the rotation, and keeps the wing stalled
Old 03-18-2003, 02:57 AM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Default GD2FAST4U Thumbs down on the Rossi...

I had a Rossi .45 w/mini tuned pipe on my first Magic. It was way too heavy and way more engine than it needed. Keep it light. Also believe it or not it WOULD NOT hover with the Rossi. Sounds strange, but true. It would drag that Magic vertical out of sight like a rocket. But the problem was the power curve. Every Rossi I have ever owned runs well at one setting...WOT. I know a lot has to due with that top-end pipe, but still every Rossi I've owned had a lousy transition, especially with big props. When hovering, to keep the thing from climbing, it had to be run at such a low power setting it was impossible to bounce the throttle. There is no such thing as a "crisp" bottom-end on a Rossi. Believe me I tried every prop/plug/fuel/needle combo. It does scream on the nose of my Aresti though. My second Magic (1st one broke the fues in half, in flight. See my Gallery) I put a new OS .32sx w/ a Macs pipe. Perfect for this model. Light and crisp with plenty of power to hover.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:59 AM
Lazy Pilot

I figured something out. The landing gear on all Magics is a little weak (blazing flash of the obvious). It's nice when you crash becasue it acts kind of like a shock obsorber. I've already replaced the sheeting on the bottom of the fuse under the nose becase it was so full of holes and cracks from the gear breaking off but, also broken was the welds on the gear itself.

This is how I fixed that problem. I went to the hardware store and bought some MAPP gas for $7 and a stick of pre-fluxed 3/32 brazing rod. MAPP gas will work with your propane torch tips. The MAPP gas will make the gear red hot as well as melt the brazing rod. You can repair the joints and make them super strong.

I also went to the LHS and bought some same diameter music wire. I made another set of gear for my Magic for $1.80.

I've crashed my Magic about 8-10 times now. It's actually a tough little sucker. I put flying-wires on the tail so they're hell for strong. So far I've only broken the fuse and parts of the wing. Overall, it's starting to gain weight and I'm not happy with that.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:53 AM
rickster169

I have put my Magic together and it is light and flies good with the LA40 and 11*4 apc prop I don't like the landing gear it leans to the left and I have crash already on a hoover close to the runway what a tough plane the prop took the impact and I broke my Eng mount and the fire wall came out clean so it was easy to put back on I bent the gear and can not get it straight i am thinking about getting the fiber one for $20.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:59 AM
Scott Claboe

Word to the wise,keep those magics light and slow.The fuselage will not take the stress of the really high-speed contortions.My magic nearly broke in half yesterday.the fuselage,(about 2-3 inches back from the trailing edge) is not reinforced very well in that area!
Don't get me wrong still send that plane through the ringer!Just remember to keep an eye on that area and the stablizer.I reinforced both areas.I also bought an H9 Aresti that will do 120-130 mph so that takes care of the need for speed!!!!!

(that Aresti has a 61bb,lots of tail weight)

Great thread Grant see you at the feild!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 02:58 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Has anybody used any different landing gear on the magic? I broke mine today. The funny part is that I wont even flyin it.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:03 AM
WADE

I've got a carbon fiber gear ordered from Moose Carbon Fiber. I hope to get it in a few days. I'll try and post a picture of it when I get it. It costs $20 plus $5 for shipping. I figure this will be a durable gear.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:06 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Default Magic landing gear

All I did with my gear is wrap the welded area just above the wheels with kevlor thread and soaked it thin CA. It is very strong and adds minimun weight.
4 4 4 4stroken ron
Old 03-19-2003, 03:42 AM
Scott Claboe

If you haven't moved you rudder servo to the rear yet .I would highly suggest that you do.the flying characteristics of my plane are different.I believe for the better.It also gives you a great place to put the battery,between the throttle and elevator servos.There is a great photo on this thread for use as an example.My CG ends up being about 5 1/2 back from the leading edge.PERFECT!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 04:23 AM
WADE

Ron,
I did the same thing to mine with the kevlar thread. I have two Magics and will be experimenting with the carbon fiber gear on one of them.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:19 AM
Lazy Pilot

I like the wire gear. It's light, easy to fix and crumples in a crash. If you fly your Magic like I do, it probably hits the ground on occasion. I would hate to crash my other planes doing the kind of experimentation that I do with my Magic. My Magic is my practice plane, or learning plane or I guess kind of a test bed for trying things that are above my skill level.

Flying and crashing my Magic a lot has made me a much better 3D flyer. Once I'm good and warmed-up after a few Magic flights, I can go to the Pizazz and really tear it up and actually knife edge as well.

Claboe, you better be sure to bring your Aresti the next time you come out. We'll go for speed-------Aresti vs. Ultra Stick. My US just rips. That ST 51 on the MCP really screams. I'll get a hold of a radar gun and we'll see how fast these things are. Oh yeah, bring your Magic too!
Old 03-19-2003, 05:19 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Hey fellow Magic owners. I posted a thread about my ROR (Ripped off Rudder ) and the repair I did. I thought some you might be interested in it.... if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...391&forumid=21

Mikee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.