Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking for 1st profile

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Looking for 1st profile

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:08 AM
GregT882762

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for 1st profile

yes i posted in 3d first didnt see a profile forum at first still new to website lol
Old 08-11-2007, 11:20 AM
CopperheadAV

It's cool.

I think you have received input on a wide range of choices. This is about having fun. What really helped me become proficient in 3D was a flight sim and a foamy I wasn’t afraid to bang up. Might be an option for you.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 08-11-2007, 05:22 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Looking back, you are askinng for a first 3D profile.

Dude, quit looking. The OMP Edge has let loads of folks learn 3D.

If you don't mind building a kit, the Paul Swanson Burrito is a real good plane for learning too.
EDGE:
www.ohiomodelplanes.com
BURRITO:
www.swanyshouse.com
Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah really.

I have to believe that if some folks would simply make a decision, and then spend the time bending the sticks...many of their questions would be answered without the need for committees, polls, or spamming 50 internet threads looking for the holy grail of models that will do all the dirty work for them. "I need a model that does everything well, and oh....BTW....I've never flown before...."

Buy something, but more importantly...FLY something.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 PM
TailTwister

ORIGINAL: RaceCity

Yeah really.

I have to believe that if some folks would simply make a decision, and then spend the time bending the sticks...many of their questions would be answered without the need for committees, polls, or spamming 50 internet threads looking for the holy grail that will do all the dirty work for them.

Buy something, but more importantly...FLY something.
Word.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 PM
SukhoiKid
My Feedback: (15)

If you want a profile to learn to hover with go with a Burrito. If you want a profile to learn a lot more 3D with go with the Mojo or Katanas from TMPRO. Or even the Edge from omp. To me the 260 is great for doing 3D just for more advanced pilots. Which at my field I see people with the 260s and they have learned to hover and do rollin harriers with them. ANY OF THESE PLANES ARE GREAT AIRPLANES. I am getting tired of these "What is the best profile" Or What is the best 1st profile" threads because a war seems to start!!!! Nothing is wrong with any of these airplanes.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:37 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

How true You are.
Buy, build,fly,fly,fly,rebuild and fly. Burn a little fuel and You will be surprised.
john
Old 08-11-2007, 09:38 PM
TailTwister

Kevin, your stock just went up a few points.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Hobby-Motory

for beginners the Kat V2 46 defently would be the best,
It is not just airplane for hovering around but a real 3D ier.

If compering it to the Edge, than price of the V2 46 ARF is more atrective,
and seems like it equiped much better with better quality hardware.
thats price different do make a different especialy if it is in the same level.
the TMPro V2 46 is long time in the market and very popular everywhere,
so I dont see how you can go wrong with it...

Hi Kevin, No one told me you are holding shares ?? how did that happend behind my back ?? [:'(]
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Frank just just doesn't understand the concept of paying for planes and raving about them, give him some slack.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Hobby-Motory

for beginners the Kat V2 46 defently would be the best,
It is not just airplane for hovering around but a real 3D ier.

If compering it to the Edge, than price of the V2 46 ARF is more atrective,
and seems like it equiped much better with better quality hardware.
thats price different do make a different especialy if it is in the same level.
the TMPro V2 46 is long time in the market and very popular everywhere,
so I dont see how you can go wrong with it...

Hi Kevin, No one told me you are holding shares ?? how did that happend behind my back ?? [:'(]

You know, I may be wrong, but I think that the "stock" he was talking about was how he felt about Kevin, not any stock that he might hold in your company.

I've never flown a TMPro plane so I can't say either way how they fly or how their hardware compares to everyone elses. I have owned a couple of OMP planes and a few Swany planes and can say that they are both outstanding. From my personal experience, you can't go wrong with either of these, product wise or customer service wise.

How does the TMPro Katana compare to the old Accel Katana as far as flignt performance? I did have one of those, and can honestly say that I can't see it being a 3D trainer. It was a pretty good flying plane, but a trainer by no means. I know that these are two different companies, but I would like to know what the comparison between the two are? Do they share the same airfoil, what are the differences other than one has removeable wings, etc..............
Old 08-12-2007, 04:14 PM
TailTwister

Pretty much the same plane. I do not think much changed in the outline.

I agree, the Kat is not for beginners in 3D.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:11 PM
SukhoiKid

the best thing to learn 3d is a 50cc gasser or 100cc gasser. If you really think about it.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:28 PM
JUGFLIER

Let me say that i am not affiliated with any company, neither do i owe anyone a favor. I fly 3-d and fly profiles some. I do not own an OMP but am leaning that way, only thing that has held me up is price. i want a CHEAP banger, so if i break it bad enough it don't cost a fortune to replace. Some of these planes get too heavy to fly well after a big repair. I currently am flying a Madeltech Sukhoi 31 profile, $119.00 from modeltech. It is very stable, even in slow manouers, i have been flying it with a .80 4 stroke. Only weakness is if you stall it in a knife edge position it falls a long way before it flys again, therefore i try to keep it over 30 ft.

I also have the TMPro 260. I concur with the comments of the people who have them except, the landing gear was designed by an idiot. Two landings on grass and i just replaced it with an aluminum gear. The wire gear would twist backward and the wheels would slide off with the wheel collars. In the air its fabulous.

I am waiting to see what the Mojo id going to go for.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:37 PM
SukhoiKid

I have had severallandings with my 260 and no problems. Also wheels stay on for me. I would agree though there shouldnt be wire landing gear. 260's gear has work fine for me so far though. Just dont use wheelpants unless you have a paved runway.
ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

Let me say that i am not affiliated with any company, neither do i owe anyone a favor. I fly 3-d and fly profiles some. I do not own an OMP but am leaning that way, only thing that has held me up is price. i want a CHEAP banger, so if i break it bad enough it don't cost a fortune to replace. Some of these planes get too heavy to fly well after a big repair. I currently am flying a Madeltech Sukhoi 31 profile, $119.00 from modeltech. It is very stable, even in slow manouers, i have been flying it with a .80 4 stroke. Only weakness is if you stall it in a knife edge position it falls a long way before it flys again, therefore i try to keep it over 30 ft.

I also have the TMPro 260. I concur with the comments of the people who have them except, the landing gear was designed by an idiot. Two landings on grass and i just replaced it with an aluminum gear. The wire gear would twist backward and the wheels would slide off with the wheel collars. In the air its fabulous.

I am waiting to see what the Mojo id going to go for.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always the contrarian, but I like wire gear. Good wire gear anyway.

What makes a good wire gear is using quality music wire, of an appropriate diameter for the size/weight of the airplane. 5/32" wire is more than adequate for the lion's share of .40-46 sized planes out there.

Don't believe me? Look at the Mojo. Isn't that WIRE gear?

A $1.25 piece of K&S wire is better than most Ali, FG or CF gears out there AFAIC.

Tired of wheels coming off? Simple! File a small flat spot on the wire where the wheel collar will go, and the set screw will will not loosen, and the wheel will not come off. 50yr old trick.

All gears get tweaked, and not everybody uses appropriate materials, but Music Wire is a fine way to go, and is far less likely to trash a model than most others. If your mangling gears regularly...maybe....kinda...it might be a good idea to go skip the hovering, and go back to practicing landing.

Wire is good.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Razorback58

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

Pretty much the same plane. I do not think much changed in the outline.

I agree, the Kat is not for beginners in 3D.

Hobby-Motory,

Is this true? Is this the same plane, only with removeable wings?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

There are actually a couple versions of the shape of that plane, but not by much. The last version Accel designed, with the assistance of OMP, is the same shape as the current model which TMPro produced. Nothing changed on that model except for the way it was manufactured since then. There is no reason to change any part of the shape of that airplane.

However I just can't understand why that plane wouldn't make a good 3D trainer? It's as easy to fly and as stable as any other 3D plane on the market, but has the authority to be more wild if you want to throw the sticks at it. All you have to dial down your controls a bit and you have a perfect 3D trainer, the plane has no bad tendencies and is one of the best selling profile ARF's worldwide.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Razorback58

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

There are actually a couple versions of the shape of that plane, but not by much. The last version Accel designed, with the assistance of OMP, is the same shape as the current model which TMPro produced. Nothing changed on that model except for the way it was manufactured since then. There is no reason to change any part of the shape of that airplane.

However I just can't understand why that plane wouldn't make a good 3D trainer? It's as easy to fly and as stable as any other 3D plane on the market, but has the authority to be more wild if you want to throw the sticks at it. All you have to dial down your controls a bit and you have a perfect 3D trainer, the plane has no bad tendencies and is one of the best selling profile ARF's worldwide.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't a nice flying plane. It flew really well, but you had to stay on top of it a little more than, say a Burrito for instance. To me it would be like comparing an Extra to a trainer. Yes, the Extra will fly like the trainer, but it's not as forgiving. While the Katana was a great flying plane, I would not have recommended it as a first time 3D trainer. It could also have been my set up? Who knows.

This, of course, is my opinion and you can take it all with a grain of salt.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
GregT882762

getting a lot of good advice from u guys,waitng to see what the arf mojo will look like,
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM
JUGFLIER

I just ordered me Mojo kit today. Not looking forward to it, i wanted an arf. All the ones i am interested will take two weeks to get here, i'll have mine built by then.

As to the wire landing gear on the TMPRo 260. The problem is not with the geek flying it. I did put flat spots on my wheel collars and i didnt say that wire was a problem.... But the disign of it.
The wire is bent short next to the fuse with hardwood with balsa over it. When torque is applied to the gear the end of the gear at the fuse rotates and digs into the balsa, the balsa collapses and the gear rotates back about 45 degrees, the wheels then being pulled sideways push off the collars and thus the wheels come off. Not bashing the plane, it flies well. With my sukhoi at same price i got a nice flat aluminum gear that i don,t have that problem with, and guess what, now my TMPro has one too.. Lol.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
TailTwister

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6172389/tm.htm
Old 08-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Razorback58

I've had ARF's that took longer to put together than a Mojo kit. Don't sweat it.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
JUGFLIER

lol, ain't we gotten spoiled by all this cheap chinese labor. I used to LOVE to built, i just hate to cover a plane. I rather go to the dentist.......
Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Razorback58

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

lol, ain't we gotten spoiled by all this cheap chinese labor. I used to LOVE to built, i just hate to cover a plane. I rather go to the dentist.......

Hey, I'd cover your plane any day if you could go to the dentist for me! [8D] Not my favorite place to be! The covering part of the Mojo will be your hardest thing to do. The rest of it pretty much just falls together!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.