Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Old 08-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Spacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Hi guys!

Been a while since I've started a thread on RCU but my time has been limited in the past due to other commitments and finally I have the most of that off my back. Now I can contemplate a few moves in the fixed wing arena again and apart from the number of gliders I wanna spend some quality time on I also want to consider getting another profile. The last 3D model I bought was my 63" Phoenix Yak-54 but I'm considering just giving that away since the sun destroyed its canopy and I haven't had much luck getting it replaced, other problem was the Saito 1.25 I have on it is barely enough power to 3D the model at the 4500' I fly at with the model weighing 3,4kg odd dry.

So now I've always had a liking in the Fusion but only now I can actually consider getting one myself. My concerns though are simply will the Saito 1.25 be enough for a kit built Fusion at my altitude to really make the model shine? I'm also curious if the Fusion (With some time spent trimming and and) will be able to fly advanced and expert pattern competitively? I have no intentions to take on a proper 2X2 but I would like to start competing in pattern just as an optional extra fun pass time? I like to think that have the stick skills to be competitive with pattern but I have no intentions to actually get caught up in the F3A thing as that's just simply too expensive.

For the most part, if I get one, my Fusion will be used to hone my precision flying skills and to at the same time 3D. Also I want to use it as a show plane if you will for fixed wing demos at fly-ins etc. And then very importantly it will serve as my Freestyle competition plane also.

You guys reckon this bird will do the trick? I really wanna stick with a profile for now if I buy something new, the fatties are just too darn fragile.

Cheers,
Spacey
Old 08-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Jeffro

Default RE: Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Spacey,

The Fusion is DEFINITELY the bird you are looking for. The Saito 125 is more than enough power, just make sure it is mounted far back in the rails to minimize vibration to the mount. This thing will fly precision pattern lines and then freestyle with the best planes out there. I know that designer of the Fusion and his son both use this as an IMAC practice plane, that seems like a good testimonial to me. My ARF is 7 lbs with a YS 110 and it is simply unbeleiveable! You will not regret purchasing an OMP Fusion!!!

Good luck!
Jeffro
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Spacey, we can fly all the IMAC and pattern sequences with the Fusion easily. Matter of fact the IMAC sequences are easier with the Fusion than my giant scale planes! And after you get done practicing precision then you flip the rates to high and put on one heck of a freestyle show. That's why I designed the Fusion and why it's still my favorite plane.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Spacey

Thanks for the inputs guys. I'm a little concerned with the weight of the Fusion (ARF) as it's only half a pound at most lighter than the Yak I currently have the Saito on, I don't know if the Saito is only still running in but it has about 15 tanks (16oz per tank) through it already so I doubt that is the case. I guess I will have to try and build light if possible to get the plane to perform well enough for what I need it to do.

I had a browse through the manual out of fear of tackling a balsa kit again and I have to admit I'm scared to tackle this one. Even though Mike got everything nicely laser cut I haven't worked with plain ol balsa and CA in ages. This could be an interesting project again. I'll keep you guys posted with happenings though, haven't quite made my mind up yet on what to do. Give the Yak away and raid it for equipment for a Fusion? Fix the Yak and give it another go? Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 PM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Sell the Saito 125 and get you a OS 120 AX. 16.5 X 5 apc prop. That is what I have on the fusion I fly. That engine will be more than enough at your altitude.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:14 PM
YNOT

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

It will ROCK!!!

Based off your wants, the Fusion is the only bird on the planet that will satisfy your needs. Call, email or PM OMP now and order the plane. Do not post any additional question and only repost when you find out how awesome it is.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: YNOT

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

It will ROCK!!!

Based off your wants, the Fusion is the only bird on the planet that will satisfy your needs. Call, email or PM OMP now and order the plane. Do not post any additional question and only repost when you find out how awesome it is.

DITTO WHAT HE SAID!!!! i can not add any more! my arf fusion at 7 lbs. even with a YS 110.
it just doesn't get any better!
ENJOY!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:50 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Spacey, I just saw this thread. Yes, Yes, and Yes. The Fusion will do it all. I rarely say much about planes unless they rock, and this one does. You will be happy with it's all around performance.

JW
Old 09-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Spacey

Heya guys!

Thanks heaps for the inputs from everyone! I did in fact mail Mike yesterday afternoon to get the ball rolling on this one. I took the Saito and all my equipment out of the Yak on Tuesday so everything's lying in wait for the Fusion to get here. I might opt to do a little upgrading on the servos I have though but that's no biggy. Let's see what happens. I asked Mike to check for me again if we don't have any EMS or something similar shipping options on the kit otherwise we'll have to wait a month odd before we can begin for this baby to come home.

Cheers,
Spacey
Old 09-21-2007, 07:13 AM
AFSalmon

Spacey, I'm rounding up all the carrier pigeons I can get and making harnesses for them so they can bring a Fusion kit to you.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:14 AM
amrey

I,ve just received mine!! It,s COOL !!! Awesome bird. Thanks Mike!!.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Spacey, I'm rounding up all the carrier pigeons I can get and making harnesses for them so they can bring a Fusion kit to you.
Hey Mike you running those on 15% or 30%? You know how they start lacking a little power with the thinner air?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Spacey

Well I think it's fairly safe to say the order has been placed. Now the wait begins and the run up to actually getting it on the bench. I can't wait!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 AM
AFSalmon

Glad the kits are making it overseas ok. Spacey, we'll get yours out today. I figure the pigeons will take about 2 months to get it to you! HAHA
Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 AM
Spacey

Little optimistic on dem there pigeons don't you reckon Mike? You know running them on 60% nitro they won't last long?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Spacey

Well guess what folks!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:11 PM
closetguy

you know what i like is,i am on fusion no.2 the first one got to low on a knife edge pass down the runway and the first one flew with no trim adjustment at all.now no.2 is the exact same way no trim adjustment at all.makes for some pretty borring maiden flights.but the good news is this plane really flies great,i was doing everything with it on the first flight no getting use to it at all.the plane really makes you do things that you would not do with any other plane on the maiden flight. just one AWESOM plane and the perfect engine has got to be the ys110,CG is at 8" with a 5 cell 2500 nimh in the trailing edge of wing.and just a slight push down when inverted.
GOOD JOB MIKE!!
ENJOY!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Spacey

Hahah...is anyone going to have anything bad to say about the plane soon? [8D]

I'm already done sheeting the fuselage, took her out the press last night and the horror struck, my building board sagged a little under the load so my fus has a 2mm deviation around the middle when looking front to back. It's no big deal and usually I'll just say "What's next?" but I've decided to work this one out with a little alcohol sprayed on the wood and putting it under tension the opposite direction little by little. Looks like it's bending back quite nicely so I'll probably start capping and finishing the fuselage tonight if all goes well.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 AM
AFSalmon

Thanks guys! Now Spacey post some pics and show us your building skills!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:57 AM
closetguy

Spacey,let us now if you can get rid of the bow in fuse,the first one i did it came out with a slight bow in the fuse.my building board was strate but i used to much weight for the press.i did use the alcohol spray and it did go strate untill it dried then it just went back to the slight bow.
good luck with yours.
ENJOY!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Spacey

Yeh that's what makes it a little tricky...you gotta sorta stretch it past then let it settle back. It's tedious, not sure if it's worth the hassle on a small bend like this as there will be much worse things causing trim changes than this. And of course once the fus's outer is sanded slightly round you won't be able to spot the bow anymore either.

Mike: Not sure if that's a great idea, I don't have anymore building skills. Been a while remember?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 PM
AFSalmon

We've had several customers over the years fix bows in foam core fuses. Do like you are suggesting and wet the wood some with water and ammonia and then weight it down just slightly past the opposite direction. It should be ok or dang close.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:41 PM
bbagle1

I wouldn't worry too much about the warp in the fuse. My first 52" fusion came with a noticeable bend to the right but I built it anyway. I now have maybe 30 flights on it and it is the best flying plane i have ever flown. It's also fun to see the look on people's faces when they stand behind my plane and ask me if I know the fuse is warped.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 AM
AFSalmon

haha, just tell them it's a "profile thing" and then watch the wheels in their heads start spinning! haha
Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
closetguy

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

haha, just tell them it's a "profile thing" and then watch the wheels in their heads start spinning! haha

LOL thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.