Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

90 sized fusion engine

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

90 sized fusion engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 90 sized fusion engine

ORIGINAL: YNOT

The 160 question was a shot aginst me, I think Mike to a jab in there a few threads back.

This mod is only YNOT approved, not approved by OMP.

Just a friendly jab YNOT! honestly your 160 Fusion was a fine bird and if you have not rebuild it you should. Didn't Jim Eide build that Fusion for you? I know it was sure georgous! It was not that bad of a crash so what happened to it?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: YNOT

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

If you are putting a 125 on a 7-9 pound plane you dont have to pull every last rpm out of the engine to get great performance.
Comments like this show your in-experence in 3D flight. No offence. You don't really need this kind of power on your bird, yet. You need more stick time.
A 125 on a 7-9lb plane will have great performance even on low nitro. That was my comment.

As far as my flying ability and needed power... unless you have been in Argentina lately its hard to make a statement like that. I currently have a 90 4 stroke on a 40 sized 3D plane and it has insane power. I am pretty competent in flying it well. I almost never use full throttle as it will rocket out of torque roll at 3/4 throttle. I run 5% nitro. I could run higher but its not necessary because the plane already has crazy power. High nitro is expensive here and although a little more nitro would give me a few more RPMs, the plane already flies great and I dont need a few more RPMs. I dont have to pull every last RPM out of that engine to get GREAT performance.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:19 PM
YNOT

Never said you couldn't fly, I am sure you are a competent pilot. There is a difference between competence and experence, that is all I was pointing out. Why would you not want maximum power available? You don't need it, however you can always use it.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Gringo Flyer

Hey guys, thought it was about time to stir up the hornets nest again. Now my question is about servos.

Will I be happy with Futaba 9202 in the tail and 9001 on the 'rons? I currently have these servos in a widebody 60 with the ST90 and pipe and although they are not the fastest in the world, I run them on 6volts and they are great servos, good precision...

If I go with the ST90 will they be enough? What about if I go with the Saito 125?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
AFSalmon

What are the specs on those? You can get by with 75-90 oz analogs on the lower end. I'm using Hitec digitals and love them. Go for 120 oz or so of torque and high speed and you will realize the full potential of the Fusion.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Gringo Flyer

The 9202 run 98 oz-in @ 6V .21 sec the 9101 72 oz-in @ 6V .18sec
Old 09-19-2007, 06:36 AM
AFSalmon

They will work but are kinda on the slow side compared with coreless digitals. You can certainly start with those and then maybe upgrade in the future if you want faster response.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Gringo Flyer

What Hitecs are you using?

Right now I am looking at the new digis that tower offers. They aren't coreless but I have read good reviews on them and they have good specs.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 AM
AFSalmon

HS 5965MG servos. Awesome servos.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:34 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

What are the specs on those? You can get by with 75-90 oz analogs on the lower end. I'm using Hitec digitals and love them. Go for 120 oz or so of torque and high speed and you will realize the full potential of the Fusion.
Yea baby! And the Fusion has potential!!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Gringo Flyer

OK guys I am going to keep my Fusion questions coming.

Are most of you guys running one or two servos for the elevator? I was planning on putting 2 but my problem is my radio a Futaba 7C doesnt allow for split elevator. You can slave one elevator half to the other but when you trim in flight only the master channel is affected by the trim.

I have a 40 sized 3D plane that called for 2 servos on the elevator and one servo was a good bit farther back then the other servo and I had to use a reversing Y. I could never get the 2 halves even and finally changed them out and put one servo.

Are the 2 servos in the tail setup so that I will I be able to get even movements on both elevator halves without programing the two seperately?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 AM
AFSalmon

Most run two and the 7C absolutely does allow two servos. You can set that up several ways. Just set up one of your P mixes to slave an aux channel to channel 2. Set up your subtrims and endpoints individually on both surfaces so they match and you are done. You need to allow "link" for the trims to transfer over. The manual explains this. The OMP Fusion Forrest and fly all over the place is set up on his 7CAP and flys perfect. Never use a Y harness on dual elevators as you'll never get them perfectly matched. Take a look at your manual again and you will see that the 7CAP is very versatile and will allow everything you need.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Gringo Flyer

You guys convinced me and I am going to put the Saito 125. I also found some good deals in the marketplace and have my servos. I'll be using these servos on 6Volts

Ailerons 2 Hitec 5925 coreless digi .08 127oz
Elevator 2 JR DS821 digi .15 88oz
Rudder Hitec 6965 coreless digi .08 111oz

I think I'm going to have a good setup.

Now I just need to order the kit
Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Bolio

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

You guys convinced me and I am going to put the Saito 125. I also found some good deals in the marketplace and have my servos. I'll be using these servos on 6Volts

Ailerons 2 Hitec 5925 coreless digi .08 127oz
Elevator 2 JR DS821 digi .15 88oz
Rudder Hitec 6965 coreless digi .08 111oz

I think I'm going to have a good setup.

Now I just need to order the kit
Looks like a very nice setup, just add a HS-85 for the throttle.
Mine is flying fantastic and a lot better than the pilot
Saludos.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 AM
AFSalmon

Yep, sounds like a great combo there. Be sure and use good ball links or equiv. hardware on the Fusion. Sloppy linkages are a thing of the past and have no place in todays high performers.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Gringo Flyer

I use ball links on most all my planes now.

I was planning on using these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEVC9&P=7 for my control horns.

The only problems I have had with these is that the metal clevises don't fit perfect in the horns and there is a slight play in them.

What are you guys using for control horns and clevises? I assume everyone goes 4-40 hardware all the way around.

I don't want to have several hundreds of dollars worth of high end servos not performing because of a 50 cent clevis with some slop!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Bolio

I used this ones:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFV36&P=7 along with this ones:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRU49&P=M
No slop and very secure.
Be sure to buy the long arms for your servos.
Saludos.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:50 AM
MRMcFarlandM

Hi Guys
a couple of quick questions. Is everyone using the single bolt though the fuse to hold the wings on ( it seems like kind of a pain compared to my other planes), and where is the best place to run the antenna on the ARF? While I am asking for those of you that have already flown the plane quite a bit. How much right thrust am I going to need?

thanks
Mike,
Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 AM
AFSalmon

The single bolt is more than adequate but an easier way to bolt the wings is to hot glue a 1/4-20 nylon wing bolt in the right wing so that it protrudes through the fuse and into the left wing. Then use a 1/4-20 nylon wing bolt to secure the wings under the hatch. If you get an aftermarket hatch snap (can't remember who makes them) you can even avoid all tools for assembly and dissassembly. Best place for the antenna is to drill a small hole above or below the wing saddle in the siding right where your rx will be mounted and run the antenna out and aft. Make sure you are not binding the antenna or stressing it to the point where it will rub through. I use pieces of clear tape to secure my antenna along the left side of the fuse. Strips of covering can also be used. Use 2 1/2 degrees of right thrust.