Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Hots 40 Profile build

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Hots 40 Profile build

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:16 AM
critx
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hots 40 Profile build

Hi,
Good work, great look. Nise flames on the wings. Can't wait to see it fly.

What is the weight of the plane without engine?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:16 AM
GuyP

Hi Coanda

Ive not weighed it yet. Should be able to get it weighed tmw when I get it finished hopefully.

Man I can't wait to see it fly either. Im hoping for the weekend although its possibly going to be too windy for a maiden.

Cheers
Old 11-23-2007, 08:05 PM
GuyP

A good evening spent in the shop and I'm pretty much done.

Coanda, the weight minus engine and fuel tank was 2lb 8 1/2oz, Ive not weighed it all up yet

Now for the fun bit, maiden flight should be sunday here in the UK, 8mph wind, shouldnt be too bad.

Anyone have an idea what prop I should be swinging for the Hots, engine is an ASP .40? I have 10x6 and 12.75x3.75 apc's but can go get some more tmw

Hope the boys are down the field then I can get some video

Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 PM
nitrobeast

Looks great. I still have to get you some pics of mine.
What size tank is that? Also how do you stop the fuel from gonig to the carb when filling up with a setup like that?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:57 PM
GuyP

Hey Nitrobeast, thanks

Yes you do! where are the pictures!

Its a 4oz tank same as on the plans, most of this kit came off my Limbo dancer below

See the white clip just after the filling tube? just squeeze the clip which cuts off the fuel supply to the carb and fill the tank. When your done unclip it and off ya go!

Old 11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
GuyP

DOH!

Well I maidened the hots today. Did all my usual checks, started her up, engine running sweet. Started on the first flick warmed her up for a bit and checked her vertical. Checked everything again. Full trottle etc

Take off all was well pulled up on about half throttle, headed across our runway due to the direction of the wind, everthing straight and true could tell instantly it was going to fly really nice and needed very little trimming.........

then about 20ft up and engine dead sticked on me, okay not a problem started to turn back towards the runway and lost too much height in the turn and hit the long grass before I could back to the short stuff [:@][:@] *"£&£**^^?[&o]

Ah well, another night in the shop should have this sorted with a few splices, she'll be good as new.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer![:@]
Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
nitrobeast

Guyp
Man that really sucks, sorry...

What is the cg for this plane? Gonna start working on mine this week..
Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 AM
critx
Banned

Eh,
Don't wory, a bit of work to rebuild the fuselaj.
Don't let it, and change that engine.

Success.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 AM
GuyP

Hi Guys

Yep that sucks, my thoughts exactly but at least it gives me something to do this week. Its better than it looks really. The wing tip clipped the long grass first and it did a cartwheel. The rest of the plane is untouched. It broke exactly where I'd expect it to. I call it character building

I'd already read on a previous hots thread about deadsticking and they need to come in quick otherwise they just drop, found that out didnt I

Nitrobeast - Where are those photos?! The CofG is about 1/2" aft of the end of the 2mm ply on the nose. Although I did set mine further back from there about 1" or 1"1/2, as far back as I dare. I can measure exactly if you want from the plans of what it should be.

Coanda - Yep I don't trust that ASP somehow. Im going to try my brand new Saito .62 on it. Its a very light engine and shouldnt change my CofG much if any. We'll see.

Work on rebuilding it starts tonight hopefully.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
East RC

arghh!!!!That sucks! I hope you get her fixed and flying again soon! It's cool to see the Hots fascination is still flowing. I have a Super at the moment that needs a bit of work and will be flying it this weekend, hopefully.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 PM
GuyP

Cheers Chris

I did make a start tonight but only checking what Im gonna do tomorrow.

UPDATE. I got offered a TT GP42 at my local model shop today at a ridiculous price, second hand and barely run in so I bought it. I know I know.... the Saito would be awesome on this Hots but Im really saving that for my extra that I can't touch till christmas

At least the TT should be reliable
Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 PM
East RC

That 42 should be good power on the ProHots. Be sure and post some flight photos and video if possible.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:30 PM
East RC

That Limbo Dancer looks a lot like a Model Tech Magic. Who makes that model and is it still available for purchase anywhere?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 PM
GuyP

Hi Chris

Glad you feel the GP42 will be okay. I ran the engine today and I'm almost certain its never been run at all! So I ran a couple of tanks through it.

The Limbo was available as a kit from Balsacraft, all the info here :- [link=http://www.bmaps.net/reviews/limbo/limbo1.html]Limbo Dancer[/link]

Mine was made from plans that a friend of mine has. Not sure where he got them from tho. The kits no longer available as far as I know. Great little plane tho, thoroughly recommend it. Paul Skinner the designer of the plane is well known in RC circles here in the UK. I'd build another one some day but I just fancied a profile and stumbled across the Hots Pro plans.

The Hots is back in one piece now, photos to follow
Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
GuyP

I should have called this the "Hots 40 Build, Crash and Build" thread.

Just got to add some longer splices on the bottom of the fus, will also add in some support in the canopy area. Anybody any ideas where/how i may be able to add more strength without too much weight. I'd thought about adding some carbon rod but Im not sure this is going to help any. It seems like its gonna be pretty strong without.

chow 4 now
Old 11-28-2007, 09:05 PM
IMK

I've had success with using flat carbon strip as reinforcement on profile ARF fuses. I use 3mm x 1mm (same as used in Shockies etc).

In my situation I used an old 25W soldering iron to remove a strip of covering.

I lightly sand either side of the carbon strip and used medium CA to glue it on. Really stiffens up the fuse.

For best results I use 2 on either side of the fuse (one above the wing and one below the wing on each side). I usually go the full length of the fuse. Each piece weights about 4 grams so the overall weight gain is minimal.

From a distance they just look like I've applied black trim / pin stripes.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
GuyP

Hi IMK, thanks for the tip, certainly worth considering.

Shes ready for covering (again). I used 30min epoxy to put her back together, seems to be as strong, if not stronger than before.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 AM
ranger351w

Sorry to hear about your dead stick. I had the same thing happen to my hots this fall. Broke same place. They will not fly dead stick at slow speeds I learned that. but it is a good flying plane with the OS 46fx. Nice job of building. Mine is repaired and waiting for the right day to go again.
Mike

Keep on keepin on[8D]
Old 12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
GuyP

Hi Mike

Its certainly a weak spot on the fuse. I will look at ways of strengthening on the next one, thats if there is a next one, Ive not flown this one yet!

This ones been re-covered and Ive just not had the workshop time to get the rest one. I hope to get her done and up in the air by this sunday with some pictures and vid if I can.

Cheers

Guy

Old 12-27-2007, 05:33 AM
ranger351w

ORIGINAL: GuyP

Hi Mike

Its certainly a weak spot on the fuse. I will look at ways of strengthening on the next one, thats if there is a next one, Ive not flown this one yet!

This ones been re-covered and Ive just not had the workshop time to get the rest one. I hope to get her done and up in the air by this sunday with some pictures and vid if I can.

Cheers

Guy

Hope you had a good xmass. I think most profiles are weak in that spot. It looks like you are well on the way to beefing that spot up. I am not so inclined to do that type of work. I just glue it back together and repair the covering in that spot. All I want to do is fly am not interested in pretty ,taxiing or anything. just fly and thats why most of my planes are over powered[8D] is to get off the ground and fly.Keep on keepen on

Mike

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
nitrobeast

Finally got some time for the plane. The pics
It should fly Sunday.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42352.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	836096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85252.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	836097  
Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
GuyP

Hi guys

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

new years eve I managed to get a flight or two in. I had got ready to fly on the 30th but had an offer I couldnt refuse, to go and fly full size in a Glassair that holds the air speed record from Lands End, Cornwall, England to John 'o' Groats, Scotland

[link=http://www.airspeedrecord.cd2.com/images4/shobdon.jpg]see here[/link]

After all the excitement I was dying to fly some models on 31st. Turns out my COG is too far back with the lighter TT GP42, just flyable but needed a lot of down elevator trimmed in. flying upsidedown needing tons of up! Im not adding more weight, I just need to move my battery forward in the wing. With the COG sorted it will fly a treat!

Nitrobeast, thanks for the pics, looks good. How'd she fly??
Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 AM
nitrobeast

The plane was great, the motor on there ran like crap. Its a os 46ax but it needs a rebuild. I might put the mvvs 40 that came with the plane back on there.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
davidgeorge212

Hi, The profile version looks neat. I have the original hots 40 kit I built up and am still flying it today. How does this profile version do 3d moves. Does it hover and knife edge well? I am kind of looking for something I could build and tone up my 3d skills a little more.

Thanks, David G.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.