Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

A great day with the new OMP Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

A great day with the new OMP Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 12:00 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A great day with the new OMP Edge

Had a great time today with my new OMP Edge 40 size. Almost disastrous first flight though. After a week of this thing sittig in my living room and spending a lot of time setting the throws, cnetering the surfaces, and quadruple checking the direction, I STILL got the ailerons backward. Note to self - when checking for proper direction, STAND BEHIND THE PLANE INSTEAD OF IN FRONT OF IT!!!!!

First flight with reversed ailerons are stressful, at best. But, somehow, I got around the pattern and landed with no problem. Next flights went really well. Man, this thing will fly at such a slow speed, it was hard to get it back down. I was able to hover for a few seconds at the time, and even managed a torque roll, though it was entirely by accident. Harriers exhibited a lot of wing rock, but it was windy so I wasn't able to get a feel for the rest of the stuff.

I'm using an older OS 70 Surpass. What is the best prop to use for this combo? All I have now is a MA 12x6, and that didn't provide much thrust.

This plane is going to be a lot of fun. IT recovers from mistakes so quickly, it builds confidence needed to just experiment without fear. It would literally loop within its length.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68391_12272.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	41553  
Old 04-06-2003, 12:06 AM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

I know what you mean. I love mine ! I would put a 13x6 or 14x4 prop on there. I had a satio 72 on mine at one time and like the 14x4. Once you get the cg right the wing will stop rocking in a harrier. Mine rocked a little but now its fine. Mine likes no mix for hover and harriers. If its harriering a little too fast put about 30% flaperon in and it will slow down for you.

Hope this helps
Old 04-06-2003, 12:13 AM
joebob

I'll try moving the CG back a little next time out. Right now, it's about 1" behind the spar. Flew nice and stable at this setting. Knife edge would pitch to the belly quite a bit though.

Now, to find some 14x4 props.....
Old 04-06-2003, 12:21 AM
da king

No wonder it rock. Your WAY to forward with the cg ! 1 3/4 is a good place to start. Mine is 2 inch behind but need to move a little more forward. The only thing that changes with cg is the plane will loop by it self if you roll it inverted if your too far back.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:57 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default CG

JoeBob,

VERY nice color scheme and quite appropriate for today's environment. Thanks! Best way to set your cg is to trim in level flight and then roll inverted. The FF540P should stay level if your cg is right on. If the nose drops then you are too nose heavy. Properly setup the plane will knife edge perfect with no coupling.

Mike
Old 04-07-2003, 03:18 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

You guys have a me excited now I need to finish covering mine!!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 03:26 PM
joebob

I'm having a little trouble getting the ailerons centered correctly. They'e so big, it's hard to see when they're centered. I've heard others say that you need a little reflex in them to help out with wing rocking, too. If so, how much should I put in?
Old 04-07-2003, 08:10 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default centering

Best way is to lay or tape a straight edge along the wingtip from center of LE to center of TE and then align the aileron to that. I do not use any relex in my funfly planes and can harrier rock solid as low as I want to go. Properly balanced the wing is very stable.

Mike
Old 04-07-2003, 08:17 PM
da king

I agree. I just look down the tip to set it. I can harrier around in circles and drag the tail most of the way. Gotta love this plane!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:48 PM
joebob

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I really like this plane, too. This is the first profile I've owned that would fly like this. I used to have a Sig Fazer years ago, but this plane flies so much better, it's unreal. Going to move the CG back a little for this weekend and play some more.

After flying this one, I'm anzious to hear reports of the new Yak OMP is putting out. It sounds like a winner. That foam centered fuse is interesting.....
Old 04-07-2003, 09:05 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Do they have a site?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:24 PM
da king

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/