Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Mud Duck modifications??

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Mud Duck modifications??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 AM
rlheit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud Duck modifications??

It seems that most Mud Duck's require additional weight in the nose for proper CG location. Anywhere from 8 - 18 oz. I was wondering if anyone has tried to lengthen the nose or extend the motor mount to over come this. I realize that the extra weight is not detrimental to its flight characteristics, but I'm from the old school and believe in building as light as possible. If someone has done this, how far forward is required?

Next question - have ailerons been installed on the Mud Duck II. I'll bet someone has done this and would like to see some documentation.

Thanks, Ron
Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 AM
buildflycrash

Default RE: Mud Duck modifications??

Not firmilar with your plane, but I hate redesigning somthing that should work in the first place. My soulition would be "Put a bigger motor on it". Thats easy and you can always use more power.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
rlheit

Thanks buildflycrash, I have posted this at Mud Duck Aviation (if you want to see what I am talking about go to www.mudduckaviation.com) and received "heavier engine" as one tip. I plan on using an OS 91 4-stroke (popular engine in these parts, and supported by LHS). I am not at all familiar with 4-stroke engines weight wise, and would be open to suggestions.
Thanks, Ron
Old 03-18-2008, 01:47 PM
buildflycrash

Other suggestions?? Saito 1.25 - One Smooth Mother **&%$)!

Os 125 FFFour stroke if like them.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
buildflycrash

Your link doesn't work [:@] give it again. I want to see your plane. ( I almost said "I wanna see your junk"[X(])
Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Sotos
My Feedback: (12)

http://www.mudduckaviation.com/

Try now..... closing ) killed it before.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:53 AM
rlheit

Thanks Sotos, what did I do wrong? I clicked on the address I posted, and even though it is spelled correctly it doesn't work. Is there a secret way of posting web site addresses?

Continuing with Mud Duck mods - the plans call for the throttle servo to be mounted on top of the fuse out in the open. Not very attractive!! (I know, the plane itself isn't that attractive.) Any of you Mud Duck builders have an tips on where and how to locate the throttle servo inside the fuse?

Thaks, Ron
Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
buildflycrash

Oh, Looks like a great plane for flying around in big slow circles. ZZZZZZZZZ
Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Piper Cub
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Ron,

Greg from MDA. The servo on the exterior was Tom Chipleys sense of humor when he originally designed it, I don't think I even saw one of his own sporting the servo on the exterior other than the original prototype.

You can easily double side tape a servo inside the radio compartment and run a nyrod through the nose of the fuselage exiting right behind the engine and the throttle lever. Glue the nyrod casing in all the bulkheads and you're golden! Piece of cake, simple, no fancy physics and engineering degree needed

Greg
[link=http://www.mudduckaviation.com]Mud Duck Aviation, Inc.[/link]
Old 04-11-2009, 08:35 PM
sean sutherland
My Feedback: (2)

I have just ordered these planes intend to use 26cc Gas (chinese Cheapy ) hoping the extra weight wont cause trouble seems like it will be handy to have anyone done the same with ailerons as well ??
Old 04-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Mud Duck Aviation
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Sean,

The 26cc engine should be perfectly fine. I have had customers put up to 31cc gas engines (Ryobi's) on them and have tons of fun. The MkII has a short nose and requires nose weight with a glow engine on it, so the extra weight from a gas engine is welcome. The only thing you will probablu have to mod is the firewall. The nose is set up for a horizontal mount for glow engines, (assuming you were going to mount radially) you would need to just lop off the segment off the nose for the horizontal motor plate (mount) and make the firewall from the plywood vertically and add some triangle stock around the inside perimeter for added surface area for your glue bonds. (this may make more sence once you get the plans and manual and see what the nose looks like.

Since I added the ailerons to the new plans as an option, most builders have incorporated them into their planes.

Greg