Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

So hows about a ProYak build?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

So hows about a ProYak build?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Spacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So hows about a ProYak build?

Time for me to the build thread thing again. Helps keep me going on building these things and hopefully helps ARF addicts see what their missing by building these bundles of joy themselves. Of course I'd also like to adress issues if there is any with the kits, hints and such.

So ya the plane for today is the all new OMP 47" Yak V3 aka "ProYak"!
[link=http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=338]OMP'S YAK PAGE[/link]

I'll be using all the old gear I have in my old 47" Yak, I'm donating this one to a good friend but he will have to give it some TLC. I've got alot of hours logged on that one. Heheh

So ya basic equipment will be:
Motor: OS .50SX with tower muffler
Servos: JR NES-539's+whatever mini I can dig up for throttle
Reciever: JR R600 (Old full range JR rx) or AR7000
Bat: STD 4.8V 600mah Nicad
Hardware: All H9 and Dubro (More to come)
Covering: All out Ultracote this time around.
Scheme: So far I'm looking at copying AFSalmon's scheme which is on the website except for swopping around a few colours.

Mission on this one: Build it uber light for change! LOL

I've asked OMP to use the same high level Nitro Pigeons we used the previous time to get the Fusion to me so hopefully it won't be too long still from this post before the kit gets here. I'm still awaiting an update I'm afraid to confirm which shipping option will be used. Otherwise if it's coming with normal airmail other guys can so long add their pictures and things in here for the next month or so while we wait for mine to arrive. [&:]
Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: So hows about a ProYak build?

GIT-R-DUN!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

I was thinking Yak Pro when I read the title.....thank goodness it's not one of those.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Spacey

Is that some sort of trick reply or something? Or is a Yak pro a delicasy in a not so fine restaurant?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:32 AM
wessco

it was this one...

http://www.aerobaticmodels.com/Produ...ro/YakPro.html
Old 04-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Spacey

Oooooh I know those things. There were a few of them flying around these parts a ways back. Didn't look like my kind of aeroplane at all no! Heheh
Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Spacey, the pigeons took off with your kit earlier this week. We put plenty of trail mix in their backpacks so they should not have not stop on their flight over there. Be sure and treat them well when they show up.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Spacey

Sounds great Mike! Thanks a bunch. Really looking forward to this build, I've been playing making plug and moulds for a new heli canopy design I'm working on since the Fusion build and I'm honestly worn out from sanding body putty now. The build will be a nice change of pace for a few weeks. Maybe this distraction will be all I need to pull the other project off, been avoiding that one for a few days just cause it's so mentally straining.

I'll be sure to tell kitty to behave around the pigeons! Hehe.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Spacey

Hia folks!

Buuuump! Bwhahaha..Checked the mailbox yesterday, still nothing. Let's hope soon.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
AFSalmon

Maybe your customs guys are currently building the ProYak for you?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Spacey

Errr let's hope they take lotsa pictures?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Spacey

Woohoo! Guess what I got! [>:]
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
wessco

done yet?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:10 AM
Spacey

Eish boss? You reckon I'd be married and having all this fun building new aeroplanes? Hell no! Hahaha
Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
AFSalmon

So I take it the kit showed up complete and intact? Hope so!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

So I take it the kit showed up complete and intact? Hope so!
Aye Aye Captain! So far it looks like everything made it here ok, the box took a serious beating but I can't find anything to worry about inside. I did however get the chills when I saw the stick pack was stuck closed with a piece of packaging tape and not sealed as usual but I also noted it doesn't look to be cut so figured you guys didn't seal it back at home base as usual. Started studying everything last night and gave the whole thing a checking over. Everything looks good so the build should start full steam tonight.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Spacey

Dernit I get the feeling this build thread's gonna be a little short of wording to be honest. This thing's so stoopid easy and fast to build it's ridiculous.

I after a few steps and still having nothing to report back here even sat down a while to try and put myself in the absolute nooby's shoes and even then I couldn't think of much.

As with any OMP kit I advise everyone to always study the plans and instructions properly. Studying the plans doesn't mean you look at it repeating to yourself "So preeetty" or "Let's build!". It means get a general idea of where everything's supposed to go. Look in dept at each little component, break the plans in to smaller sections with your eyes and study each piece. Just looking at the big picture for a long time doesn't help and scanning from one side of the plan to the other doesn't help either. Take my word for it, I work with drawings all day long.

Next tip I would give again. Make double sure you got the right piece of wood the instructions call for and don't waste even the smallest piece! When you cut a piece off, chuck it back into the box. Never know you may need it later.

Ah well ok, I started with the fuselage last night as per the instructions. I really can't see myself saying much about this one, it's as easy as making coffee!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Spacey

Okaaaay onto the fuselage!

First pics just shows the kit contents, really I got a shock when opening it up the first time around. I good clean forgot this one doesn't have a foam core fuselage and with the box having virtually nothing init?!?

First step is to slap together the tube and the pieces above and below it. You have to give the fiberglass a slight sanding to just break the outside epoxy resin which was used to build it. In the picture you'll see I used a nice and rough piece of sandpaper just pressed hard around the tube. Slide it around a few times prefferably in one direction. From my experience you don't want to sand it round and round and everywhere as this will just smoothen the surface anyways. Dig into it as if you actually want to scratch it, don't play around..put some pressure on the sandpaper. Quick and easy!

Now you wanna cut the balsa pieces above and below (3/8"SQ) to the correct length as shown on the plans and pin them in place properly so the whole thing's going to end up straight. Use some thick CA to glue the tube to the lower piece first and let it dry while you make sure everything's staying straight, now slap on the top piece. EASY! Don't drown these things in glue, really it's not worth the weight. Rather ensure everything stays straight!

The plans also show the rear piece behind the tube clearly which needs to be cut off at an angle to allow free movement of the elevator joiner later.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23258.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	949836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16507.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	949837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73245.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	949838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny25848.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	949839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy34911.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	949840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj88736.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	949841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq17653.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	949842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv94476.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	949843  

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Spacey

Next two pictures show all the laser cut fuselage frame pieces in place along with the tube. These pieces cover all the hard parts for us. Just nick em out the protective piece holding them together, sand off the little bridges and pin/stick in place on the board. Easy peasy.

With all the laser cut parts I kept trying to come up with a way to easily trim the little pieces of wood off the parts where they joined with the original piece of wood it was cut out of but unfortunately I haven't come up with something awesome just yet. So far a good 80~150g sandpaper on a flat surface does the trick in no time along with the x-acto knife in those hard to reach places.

Name:	Pn37331.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	949846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84940.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	949847  
Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Spacey

Now it was time to add the remainder of the 1/4"X3/8" pieces, the engine mounts and the odd 3/8" SQ piece. Nothing strange here to be honest.

Only odd thing to note is the three 1/4" SQ pieces in the tail area which form the servo mounting rails. They are glued down flat against the board. Later the plywood servo mounting frame is glue on top of them and then sits flush with the left hand side of the fuselage while the 1/4"SQ balsa pieces are flush with the right. All these goodies will be hidden by the fuselage sheeting later so it's important to get it right.

Name:	Us52864.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	949855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29287.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	949856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57185.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	949857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh75715.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	949858  
Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Spacey

O geesh the rest is so easy, just follow the plans and rock on! You really can't go wrong. Next is just framing up the rest of 1/8"X3/8" structure and the odd other piece of infill wood that's needed.

I really found a very sharp fresh x-acto blade will make very quick work of cutting the 1/8" pieces of wood to the correct angles. Much easier than cutting them a little long with the hacksaw and sanding to the right length etc. Sure the knife takes probably a little experience and confidence but only way to experience is to do it first hand huh? Go for it! It's easy!

Glue on the tail servo plywood frame to the 1/4" SQ pieces glued in earlier and that's about it.

All the above was like I said stupid easy, just read the instructions once. Follow the plans and have fun, I couldn't find a way to really go wrong. NOW here is one VERY important thing you shouldn't miss. The little groove the instructions call you to cut into the balsa block just in front of the servo wire tunnel. DO NOT forget to do this! It will be impossible to get in there later and leave you with a big mess. It appears I forgot to take a picture of this I'm afraid, but I just tackled it with the dremel and cut a nice groove big enough to easily slip a few servo wires next to each other through. Called it good enough.

Name:	Jh17063.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	949862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21793.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	949863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89215.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	949864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk77875.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	949865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk86892.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	949866  
Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Spacey

Alright guys! I'll update some more in a bit. I haven't slapped everything I managed to do last night on but ok. No biggy.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:40 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Wow! Good job Spacey! [X(] I have a Mojo still in the box so it's encouraging to see a slab go together. I've got to clear out one side of my garage so I can set up a table and get started. Thanks for the photos.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Spacey

Aight some more updates!

Next up was to get the fuselage sheeting assembled, this stuff comes completely precut! Laser baby! SO ya it doesn't really involve any thinking to put em all together, just look at the picture in the manual and get all the pieces together on a perfectly flat surface with some wax paper between the surface and your parts. I don't even bother to tape these things together anymore and rather focus on getting the one side perfectly flat by applying reasonable pressure while dropping a very small amount of thin CA to the split. My advise, don't try to do large portions at a time, rather glue a small section like 5" and wipe the glue while making sure the two stay flat down on the surface, then continue. Works great with minimal sanding afterwards!

VERY IMPORTANT! The ply pieces in the sheeting is side specifik, pay close attention to which one goes left and which goes right. The one with the larger opening around the engine area is the one that belongs on the right hand side of the fuselage when looking from above or sitting in the cockpit. When you glue these things together the side that's down will be flatter than the glue side, so that's the side you want on the outside after all is said and done.

Next was to test fit the sheetings on the fus. You have to make absolutely sure your holes in the left and right side all lign up perfectly. Take your time here before you even consider applying some glue. You want to pay attention to the stab slot, engine mounts and the wing tube holes. I took the time now to drill the holes for the wing tubes etc.

Next I got my one side perfectly positioned with the framed up fus piece on top of it. Make sure everything is flat and aligned then just nail it all with thin CA. Quick and easy! The other side however? Yeah, get the workbench well ventilated cause you're going to need it doing this step with thick CA like I did. But ok it's easy enough, just trial fit everything before hand and make sure you know where you need to pay attention when laying it down initially for alignment...next get a generous amount of thick CA on all the frame pieces and lay on the sheeting keeping it pressed down everywhere or running something over the fus like a big piece of wood to spread the load. You don't want to press with you hand inbetween the open bays when gluing the sheeting on, that'll cause headaches! Be carefull!

Last things to do were to cut out the little piece where the ply piece goes for the tail skid/wheel and ya testing all the servos fit and sanding of course. Give the fuselage a good sand now as soon as you're done with it. I found leaving all the sanding work for when the model is completely framed up will make you do a crappy job of it then because it's simply too much all at once. Sand every part as you get it off the board, I guarentee your finishing will be MUCH better.

Name:	Bz78873.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	950370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13135.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	950371   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28433.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	950372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65577.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	950373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oe57401.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	950374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs29621.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	950375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki79433.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	950376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv94147.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	950377  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Di46365.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	950378  
Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: rclement

Wow! Good job Spacey! [X(] I have a Mojo still in the box so it's encouraging to see a slab go together. I've got to clear out one side of my garage so I can set up a table and get started. Thanks for the photos.
Like Tailtwister said!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.