Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best profile control linkage

I'm assembling a new OMP Pro Yak and want to put on a light and precise control linkage. In the past I've used the DuBro 2-56 size ball links which are precise but heavy.

So what is the best linkage for profile ailerons? The servo arms are long and the control horn is short. Ihave a similar situation with the rudder.

Is a clevis-pushrod-clevis best, or are the angles too much for a clevis to handle? Ihad one friend suggest that a simple z-bend would handle the angles better.

What do you guys do, and how well does it work?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Best profile control linkage

I use a ball link on the servo horn and the surface horn gets the clevis. 2-56 is very weak especially on the rudder. I use 4-40 capture ends with carbon fiber tubing between. Go to and search for shiny nipples. It'll give you the Idea of what is right. One of the guys is selling them at connectorsRC .com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mr. Skull is right.    I would stay away from 2-56 for the type of flying the Pro Yak is designed for.  I've used the shiny nipples from connectorsrc and they are superb......highly recommended.
    \"Toy airplanes are for people with more money than sense.\"
    - My Ex-wife

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, thanks for the replies. The shiny nipples look a lot like the 2-56/carbon tube pushrods I've made before, and they've been very strong but kind of heavy.

Is there a good lighter way to do this? Here's a shot from the OMPwebsite using a z-bend and clevis. Is this adequate or a poor linkage for a profile?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DUDE..........You're not talking about adding extra ounces here. 

A Heavier wire 4-40 is VERY good insurance, it makes for a more precise feel...and there's nothing worse than losing an airframe to flimsy wire!!!

ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RC MANIAC-PRO BRO 1900-AMA# 95841

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've used the 2-56 pushrods and clevises for years on the 40 size models with no issues. Yes they are more flexible than 4-40 obviously but more than adequate for a 40 size model. Plus when you bang the rudder or even the elevators down low you don't strip servo gears. An easy way to stiffen them if you want to is to slide some small carbon fiber tube over the pushrods. I'd rather have the pushrods bend though than break something else.
    Mike (Salmon) Pilkenton, Chief Slab Designer
    Ohio Model Planes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey LRHann, nice linkage photo!

I thought the Hitec (made by DuBro) large control arms were gray in color.  You don't have Futaba arms on Hitec servos do you?

Thanks,

Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

I've used the 2-56 pushrods and clevises for years on the 40 size models with no issues. Yes they are more flexible than 4-40 obviously but more than adequate for a 40 size model. Plus when you bang the rudder or even the elevators down low you don't strip servo gears. An easy way to stiffen them if you want to is to slide some small carbon fiber tube over the pushrods. I'd rather have the pushrods bend though than break something else.
    DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!
    We have a winner here!

This is exactlywhy I alsouse 2-56 linkages on 40 size profiles.

My favorite is a Z-bend at the servo arm (made with a Du-Bro z-bend tool), and a Du-Bro Safety Lock Kwik Link at the control horn. If extra stifness is needed, a carbon tube slid over the 2-56 wire works great.
    McDDD
    ProBro 415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks McDDD! Plus it is simple and cost effective! No fancy hardware you need to mess with.

Let me add a rookie mistake I've caught a couple guys here and there doing and that is using all-thread pushrod for the wrong application! Never use all-thread pushrod for anything other than say a coupler. All-thread rod is flimsy and will break after bent several times.
    Mike (Salmon) Pilkenton, Chief Slab Designer
    Ohio Model Planes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, thanks for the replies. The shiny nipples look a lot like the 2-56/carbon tube pushrods I've made before, and they've been very strong but kind of heavy.
    The 1/8th inch CF pushrods on www.connectorsRC.com are extremly light and strong. I was amazedat how small of diameter these are but really stiffand very strong.

I used to use 2-56 allthread and then cover them with carbon tube (which is very heavy). The 4-40 thread on the pushrod ends lets you use the nicer and stronger 4-40 ball links and locking clevices.
    Also, they're half the price of the ones off of central hobbies website.....

-Troy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gd93791.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	1212708  
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes....