Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Best Morris design

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 06:51 PM
jc4me2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Morris design

I'm thinking about building one soon, but whick one is the best at fun fly 3D'n? I like the sudo, knife and sledge the best. Jordan
Old 07-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

well, I love my Sudo, but everybody here swears about the Sledge. Seems to be the one. I only flew a Sledge once for a couple of minutes (Chuck Auger wouldn't let me have the sticks longer ) so can't say really that much. I would build the Sledge. If you don't like it, just give it to me.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:38 AM
tobytorkn
My Feedback: (1)

sledge, sledge, sledge, sledge. lol. its the best 3d'ing .40 size plane. toby....
Old 07-16-2003, 03:26 AM
Jerry-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

OMP edge 450 !!!!!!!!! $65.00!!!!!!!!
http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/ff540p.html
Old 07-16-2003, 03:39 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I like the Sudo a bunch... I like the Sledge too.. Probably better... I've gotten some stick time on Gator's Sledge.. but I haven't built mine yet.... From the time I've spent on it, it's a great plane!! I like the knife too.... Is this your first 3d plane? If so, go with the knife.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:42 AM
BotleRocketWar

Seems like most of the guys that recommend the OMP Edge have never flown a Sledge...True?

As far as the best, my vote also goes to the Sledge. I've flown most of the other Morris airplanes and they just don't compare...The rest are still great airplanes, but the Sledge has them beat. Besides the Sledge, the Su Du Khoi and Knife I flew were a lot of fun!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Jerry-RCU

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BotleRocketWar
[B]Seems like most of the guys that recommend the OMP Edge have never flown a Sledge...True?

True. I would like to have the chance to fly one if I could talk someone into borrowing their plans. Then I could build one myself. I would pay the freight both ways if I could borrow yours. Then I would know the difference. The OMP kit is $65.00 versus over a $100.00 for the Sledge. PM me if you would let me borrow them.

Jerry
Old 07-18-2003, 01:00 AM
777M8

You can geta sledge short kit for 40.00
Bill
Old 07-18-2003, 02:41 AM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Originally posted by BotleRocketWar
Seems like most of the guys that recommend the OMP Edge have never flown a Sledge...True?
Question goes both ways Have you flown the OMP? I've flown them both, I own an OMP, and there is really not alot of difference from my initial impression. Last night I had it harrier around the field, tail touching, into rock solid hovers. OMP does it all, so does the sledge, what more can you ask for capthis let me fly his sledge, but I didn't really get to rip on it, maybe next weekend he'll let me try it again.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:00 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Word Up!

That's why I got em both. Now if I can just keep the Sledge in one piece long enough for a head-to-head before I just crash it to smithereens. (Sledge is just too fun, I try stuff I should never try, but man..it's FUN!)
Old 07-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Hacker

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
Word Up!

. Now if I can just keep the Sledge in one piece long enough for a head-to-head before I just crash it to smithereens. (Sledge is just too fun, I try stuff I should never try, but man..it's FUN!)
you are, after all THE CRASH MONGER....we would expect nothing less !
Old 07-18-2003, 11:25 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Particle man, you may fly my sledge at the Posey PBF July 26. But I get to fly your OMP edge. I think you will find they are both very capable planes. The best one of the two is usually decided by the owner, that is how good these two planes are. Therefore, all of you are the winners because you have great planes available to you.
But lets not get off topic here, the poster wants to know which Morris design is the best, and it is the sledge first, top cap second, sudo third and knife fourth IMO. If you are starting 3D work then get the knife. Jeff W.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:24 AM
Jerry-RCU

Default Morris short kit

Bizzaro Bill. I went to morris didn't see a short kit.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:23 AM
Daryl Martel

Default Morris Profile Plane Short Kits

They make them - I just received my Sledge short kit. Nice laser cut ribs. Must remember to trace them before building. As is normal nowadays the ribs aren't on the plans. Nicely CAD drawn plans too BTW! Jeff done good.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:38 AM
BotleRocketWar

Jerry,

If you ever pass by Kansas City, I'll have the Sledge fueled up and ready for you... I guess like Chuck, I don't know if it will still be around. But if it is...

You have to call Morris for the short-kit. It is not on their website...I've spoken to them about it though so it DOES exist. I'm about to order up a batch.

Particle Man, I am going by what I have read. I've never heard from anyone that flies 3D (more than trorque rolls and harriers) that the OMP has any advantage over the Sledge. When it comes to high alpha flight (harrier rolls and things like that) it seems like the OMP just can't do it as well as the Sledge... On the other side, it seems like the OMP Edge will spin and tumble better than the Sledge. I have to say though, my Sledge does the tightest KE spin I have ever seen!

I don't dispute the fact that they are both great airplanes, but this guy asked for the best. I do agree though, the Sledge kit is severely overpriced! No, the $10 set of hardware does NOT make up for the $60....
Old 07-20-2003, 03:47 AM
sport10

I would just like to throw in another morris funfly that has not been mentioned. The TopCap. It flys the 3d manuevers smoother and better than the Sudukhoi. I have a Webra 50GT on mine and my topcap performs all the 3D manuevers with ease. Plus it is a great tumbler too. So in my opinion the best Morris ARF is the TOPCAP. If you do not mind building and don't mind the overpricing the Sledge is very best kit morris has to offer. You will be happy with either for sure.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:56 AM
bgorham

Not an attempt to hi-jack this post but ... a couple of you guys have recommended the knife for first learning 3D. I am starting to lean in that direction, and thinking toward an Irvine .53 to pull it around. Is this a good combination for starting out as a ProBro wanna be?

Bo
Old 07-21-2003, 12:18 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Default Morris

I have 2 Sledge's, but I bought a Knife ARF to bang around at ground level practicing hovering and stuff. The Knife with a Saito.72, Irvine .53, or any other good reliable engine in this size is a good starter 3D airplane. Tom
Old 07-21-2003, 12:53 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Bgorham, I would recommend a knife for beginning 3D. I think the Irvine 53 is good but I much prefer the MVVS 49 with an APC 11.5 X 4. The saito 72 is good or the YS 63 if you want 4 stroke. Jeff W.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:09 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i have only had the s-ko and the sledge. i lke the sledge better.

strong k-edge, waterfalls and elevators are great.