Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Maidened my 47" OMP Pro Yak....:)

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Maidened my 47" OMP Pro Yak....:)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maidened my 47" OMP Pro Yak....:)

Hey guys, 1st flights on my Pro Yak were great! I have the Fusion and the Edge (OS 55 and Saito 82) and I have to say the Yak is amazing and definitely more maneuverable than the Edge. Of course the Edge is lots of fun with it's big fat wing, the way it just wants to hang there all day with that Saito pounding, and it's laughablly slow landing speeds.... but the Yak has really nice flying manners with it's thinner and tapered wing and it will go into crazy flat spins real easy like the Yak's in Realflight.

CG came out real neutral with the OS 55 mounted slightly back (about 1/2" clearance still between the backplate and back of the mount area) and the 5 cell AAA (that's triple A, not double) mounted in the rear of the wing area. Rolling it over inverted takes very little down pressure on the elevator to maintain. Fun plane!!!

Ernie
Old 04-26-2010, 04:23 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Maidened my 47

How is the tracking compared to the Fusion?

david
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Ernie Misner

Hi David, the Fusion tracks like an arrow but the Yak transitions into a 3D move much easier for some reason. For example it seems to me the rudder on the Fusion will get a big bite all of a sudden when you try to slow down and go into a flat spin and it will snap out kind of nasty at times whereas the Yak just seems to know what you want it to do if that makes any sense. You could fly all 3 if you were here! What are you flying these days?

Ernie
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Ernie that is fantastic! Glad the ProYak is treating you well.

The Fusion and ProYak are totally different animals. The Fusion designed for precision and 3D (freestyle flying) while the ProYak is pure funfly 3D twist your tail off flying. Gotta have both! I do!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
daveopam

Ernie, my everyday flyer is a 67" Fusion with Saito 1.25 for power. I had to retire the 52" Fusion and was thinking about the ProYak as a home for all the gear from it. I also like the looks of the new AeroWorks profiles. They just aren't any out to get a flight report on one. Since I have had such good luck with OMP, I think I will get something from them.

david
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Ernie Misner

I just saw the ad for the new Aeroworks profile jobs too. Looks like they have a bit of a SFG on the tips. You will definitely want a Pro Yak, or both!

Dave, do you have a favorite way to enter a knife edge spin? Please PM me if'n you do..... thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM
daveopam

Ernie, I PM'd this to you but thought I would post it in case anyone else wanted to know. david

Ernie, I can't say I have a favorite way because every plane I have likes something different. On the Fusion for example, I just use the inputs for a flat spin( full left aile,1/2 down elev,full right rudder, & half power) then after a few spins I bring the aile back toward the center, increase power and elev and take about 75% of the rudder out of it. The Fusion however is a different animal than most. It is so much stronger on the elev it takes some finesse. Another example: I still fly my GB Ult some. On it, I go on an up line and cut the power like I was doing a hammer head or stall turn. Halfway through the stall turn when the fuse in parallel to the ground, I hammer the power, go full down and let off the rudder.

david
Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Marcelo Assis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,
Can it be flown with a DLE 20cc gasser?
Marcelo
Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Ernie Misner

I think this thread is for the 47" or .40 size Yak. The .90 size Fusion sure could use that gasser though!

Ernie
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Wingspam

As far as the OMP yak goes it was a great flying little plane, it has 1 design flaw in my opinion and thats the double wing tube. There are no stops in either wing to keep the carbon fiber tubes from sliding. On the planes last flight I was doing a low throttle flat spin when I leveled it out, everyone heard a very loud pop as the wings broke loose..
All the hardware survived, so the next day I ordered the Aero Works 40 size profile..
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Ernie Misner

I noticed that too so I glued the carbon tubes lightly into one wing half to keep them in place. It's such a great flying plane.

Ernie
Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
AFSalmon

The instructions tell you to glue the wing spars into the wing opposite the hatch. If you do this obviously there is no chance of the wing tube spars coming out.