Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Screaming Foam.com's laser a.r.f.

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Screaming Foam.com's laser a.r.f.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 PM
spfracerny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaming Foam.com's laser a.r.f.

Subject: Product Review for ScreamingFoam.com
Product: Laser 10mm A.R.F. Kit
Author: Anthony Joseph
I’ve been building and flying model airplanes for 24 years now. It’s only been within the last 5 years that I began to play with r/c planes. I’ve been hooked ever since. I love the speeds in which they can fly; from a slow flyer that you can barely fly in a breeze, to a jet-like plane that seems to be at home in 25 mph winds. What made me jump at the chance to write a review for Screaming Foam was that I’d be able to do what I love most - write, build and fly airplanes.
Laser, from ScreamingFoam.com is a very well laid out kit. I was impressed right from the get-go. Not only was it packaged very cleanly, it is made right here in the United States. The necessary pieces for each step were packed in their own separate bundles. The foam parts were pre-cut and fit together well. There was very little to no sanding required, making for a great finish. The instruction manual is exceptional. It includes clear color pictures and step by step directions that are simple and easy to read. From the start of the build to the point at which the plane was finished and ready to install all the electronics, it only took 5-6 hours. What was also nice to see in this kit was a gauge for setting the proper rudder and fuselage angle. Most kits don’t provide gauges, even expensive kits where they are really needed. The most difficult part about the whole build was applying the decals, but they were very forgiving. All in all, I feel this is a great kit; easy and fun to build. It is definitely a great kit for people that like to build but don’t want to invest 10 or more hours.
I am using the electronics Screaming Foam suggested for the Laser, including a 500t motor from JustGoFly.com. It is a 400 watt, 1950 Kv motor with a 7x5 prop. I’m also using a 40 amp speed control and 2-9 gram servos. When buying the motor I dealt with Vinnie Finn from Just Go Fly. He was very helpful and answered all of my questions concerning motor and speed control. He informed me of speeds I could expect to achieve with the Laser based on the same motor set-up used on a similar plane with similar weight. Vinnie also gave me some information on a good flight time so I know where to start my timer and so I don’t run out of juice too soon.
My maiden flight was better than I expected. I was flying in 5 to 10 mph winds and the temperature was 65 to 70 degrees - perfect weather! I took off into the wind with just a slight torque roll to the left at 50% power. The Laser flew better than I had expected; very stable with just a little down trim. I found that the trim was due to the lipo being a little too far back in the fuselage. I move it an inch forward and the problem was fixed. After that it just needed two clicks of up trim and she was away. What a great plane! She flew at about 90 mph on a radar gun, which I felt was very good for a park-like flyer of a plane. What also makes this an exceptional plane is that it will land at 5-10 mph. The delta wing design makes it slow down evenly and comfortably. The Laser will allow you to come in at a high alpha and still remain stable. This is great on tight landing fields where long approaches are not always available. Rich built this plane tough, as I found out on my 5th flight. I had an accident, as the lipo shifted in the air do to me not putting the velco strap in the right place. I lost the lipo at 100 or so feet from the ground. The Laser came down doing only a back flip roll. There was no damage to the plane besides some grass stains. It is very forgiving plane and very durable.
Over all, the Laser is a very nice plane. It would be a great 2nd or 3rd plane, depending on your skill level. Because of the slow landing speed, and better than average top speeds, it makes it really fun to fly. Its small size and weight allows me to keep it my car for those spare-of-the-moment flights either before or after work. Have fun flying!
Anthony Joseph

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh16740.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1447284   Click image for larger version

Name:	ki20672.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1447285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48063.jpg
Views:	46