Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Aeroworks profile

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks profile

I believe the 75AX weighs more than a Saito 125.

Ernie
Old 08-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Ernie Misner

Hopefully it's too soon to say it's no good. The guy just might like to fly fast. Except for the elevator he didn't even do any hovers, torque rolls, or elevators? If that's the 75AX on there it's not going to put out gobs of torque and weighs as much as a 95AX and more than a Saito 125.

Ernie
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Dave45

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Hopefully it's too soon to say it's no good. The guy just might like to fly fast. Except for the elevator he didn't even do any hovers, torque rolls, or elevators? If that's the 75AX on there it's not going to put out gobs of torque and weighs as much as a 95AX and more than a Saito 125.

Ernie
I think it is too early to say that. But its already August and kind of tough to keep money earmarked for this flying season tied up for another month when the vid doesn't look too promising.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Dave45

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Ernie
I think it is too early to say that. But its already August and kind of tough to keep money earmarked for this flying season tied up for another month when the vid doesn't look too promising.
I recall when they were first announced it was availability in June, then July, then mid August,...now September...my flying season ends in October. I'm leaving mine on back order, the video wasn't spectacular but I'm just looking for a sport/hack beater plane anyway. I'm sure proficient 3D/profile fliers will expect more from these than me...

I have a 95 AX already tied up in an Aeroworks 60 size Yak 54, great engine but I don't want to spend near $300 for another so mine will be using a 75AX. Currently my 75 is plulling around an Ultra Stick, its sweet running and user friendly but really doesnt fly that model any better than an old OS 61SF it replaced...so the power to weight concerns for 3D are probably quite valid.

Scott
Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I am going to leave mine on order. I just hope the video was a bad example. I should not base my decisions on brand, but I have wanted a AW plane for a long time. My pockets just wont let me go 33%. lol

David
Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Ernie Misner

Which size do you have on order Dave? I have both at the moment, was planning on an OS 55 on the little one and a Saito 125 on the big guy.

Ernie
Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
daveopam

I ordered the small one Ernie. Then I got mad at my pick up yesterday and went and bought a new one this AM, so I had to cancell the AW for now. I need the extra money for window tint and a tonneau cover.

David
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Ernie Misner

Oh well, sound decision for now anyway. The profiles will always still be here..... gotta do what we gotta do sometimes.

Ernie
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Dave45

I'm still open to ordering one after the initial reviews are in. They sure look cool. We'll see once the airplanes are in the modelers hands.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM
daveopam

That will tell the tail for sure Dave. I still plane on getting one at a later date. Right now I have a kit built Fusion on the table that needs covering. So i have plenty to do.

david
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Dave45

Right.  I have a couple of new projects ahead of it too.  I had ordered the small one and I'm thinking I ultimately may be interested in the larger one.  Especially since Rocco said they're putting one together with a DLE 20.....
So for me it was just not the right time anyway.

I know what you mean about wanting and Aeroworks plane.  I got the 120 Yak and just love it.  Down the road I'm looking at a 100cc Yak and there's no question it will be AW.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 PM
SMOKEFAN

Hey fellas has anyone gotten their hands on one of these yet?

Shawn
Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I got the 90 size one last week and put it together over the weekend. It goes together really fast. I got to maiden it on Tuesday but got only two flights in. I'll have to say that I liked the way it flew. I didn't fly it enough to get a good feel of it but didn't notice any bad habits. I took it out again Wednesday and had to work with a student most of the afternoon and when I finally got a flight in it didn't last long. I took off, banked to the left and rolled inverted, got to about 40-50 ft and found that I didn't have any control of it at all. [X(] I tried the ailerons, I tried all the other controls, nothing !! It kept going at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and went into the ground. It was totally destroyed. Just a handful of pieces that I can take off for the next one.
I called Spektrum about the radio and RX and the guy said that since my radio came out about a year and a half ago it probably doesn't have the new firmware upgrade and with it like that, if there is any kind of interference to the system that it can take 3-5 seconds to re-energize the RX. It can go quite a ways in 3-5 seconds. I don't know what could have happened but it sounds likely based on what I informed the Spektrum guy of and what he described to me. At this point I prefer to go back to 72 mhz.
I do like the Prox 260 though, I bet it's going to be a good flyer. Maybe not for the 3D purist but I bet it will satisfy some.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 PM
SMOKEFAN

Sorry about your Bird bud. Thank you for your break down.

Would love to hear more so if anyone has one post up.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Dave45

sad story...   Very sorry for your loss.  Sounds like the plane was a success, however.    Doesn't need to be the lightest thing out there to fly good.  Mine should arrive tomorrow and I'll put it together over the weekend.  I'll provide reports.  
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, I'm bummed about it. [&o] Anymore losses and going to start writing country western songs. I'm thinking of calling Aeroworks today and order another one. Maybe they will waive the shipping. ??
Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Dave45

Well, mines ready to go and I'll maiden it today. May try to get some video.  At the least, flight report to follow this evening.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 AM
daveopam

Be sure you let us know Dave. Some one in my club has one but I have not seen it yet. I do 90% of the test flight in our club so I may get my hands on it. :-)

David
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Dave45

I liked it! Mine has a 61 on it which was a mistake in that by the time I got it latterally balanced and fore and aft, plus the heavy engine I was up 7 oz over using the 55AX. Still, it harriered very nicely, HAKE was really nice and the double taper wing helps it track in this move as well as gives it really nice rolling chars. It tracks well through point rolls, too. I found pretty much no coupling in either direction. Down side is if you get out of shape in HA type moves, its gonna be awhile before its off and flying again. I'm going to put my 55AX on and see if I can minimize this. I found very little wing rock in upright or inverted harriers and the harrier turns were nice too, slow and smooth, or fast and tight. AOA at which it would settle into a stable harrier was very forgiving. It was happy at shallow anglesthrough almost vertical. I think I'll like it a lot more once I shed those 7 oz.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Ernie Misner

Sounds pretty good Dave. Which .61 did you put on it? Right, some are as heavy as a .91. It will be interesting to see how the .55 pulls it and if it'll pull out of a hover okay. So you feel it is a tiny bit heavier than most 40 size profiles???

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Dave45

definitely. Of course I made it much worse trying to compensate with my OS .61 fx. The SFG's are a pretty heavy so I'll try it without those and see if I miss them. The HAKE is so nice I may regret taking them off. But the thing doesn't want to rotate in a TR. I'm thinking its all that mass out at the tips. Takes too much to get it spinning.

The biggest negative I saw yesterdaywas those envitable oops moments caused an undue amount of flopping around and great loss of altitude. My fault for upping the weight? a characteristic of the heavy design? Probably a little of both. Won't know until I shed my 7 oz. But that's got to help.

With the 61, hover pullout was solid. Other than the fact that it recovers from errors more like a typical sport plane than a 3D profile, I think the motor works well. You said it Ernie. Will the 55 be enough?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Dave45

ok, this very short clip contains oneKE pass and a slow harrier circut around the field. Less than a minute long and filmed under very dark skies, but I thought folks would like to see how well behaved it is in harrier so I got outthe helmet cam for a minute. If the 55 works out I'll attempt a decent video.

http://vimeo.com/15310565
Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Dave45

I do have some more options for the .61
I could ditch the SFG's and wheel pants, move the rx pack toward the tip to get rid of lateral balancing weight. Also I have a prop hub on there I forgot to take off which is much heavier than a washer and nut. I could also do with 1/2 oz less tail weight. Its completey neutral inverted which I find annoying. I should probably see what these changes do before yanking the motor off. Power wise its really nice at the moment....
I think the larger size of these profiles has the best options powerwise. With about 1000 squares of area it should handle its weight much better than the smaller one.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM
daveopam

I like the video Dave. The AOA was way up there!

David
Old 09-28-2010, 02:57 AM
Ernie Misner

Dave, that's a cool little video! So you are wearing the camera on your hat? What plane is that in your earlier video????

Thanks,

Ernie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.