Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

H9 FuntanaS question

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

H9 FuntanaS question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:54 PM
JNohsey
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 FuntanaS question

Has anyone flown there yet?
What do you think of it?
What motor, servos, size prop are you using? What did it end up weighting? Do you do follow the assembly manual or chance something up? Looks like it should go togther quick. Would you use the 2/56 pushrods or chance to 4/40?

Thanks for any help,
Old 07-27-2003, 02:45 PM
YNOT

Brother Prop,

Here is a link I started in the 3D section about flying the Funtana, http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...83&forumid=230 . It had some interesting tedencies, however I have worked most of those out now.

The plane goes together in a snap. I have over 4+ hours in just removing stickers on the wing and vertical stab. Beware if you remove the stickers, the glue on the back is really really good.

I didn't read the instructions while building the plane, however Zane told me there were lots of nice pictures.

Mods I made: Did not use the the CF tail supports, did not like that you just stuck them into the balsa and CA them in. So I used a strip of CF on the bottom on the horizontal stab and that has always worked great for me. I backed up the hinge line on the ailerons a bit, to increase the throw. I also sealed all the hinge lines. I put a double bevel on the horizontal and vertical stabs to increase their throw and yes I used the CA hinges, I like them. Using the provided rods never crossed my mind, I used CF rods on all surfaces. CF landing gear, did a flame job on the canopy, tru turn tail wheel & spinner, lighter wheels, used Velcro to mount the receiver and battery pack so I can play with the CG and micro servo on the throttle.

In the link I provided, there is the mod I did to ensure the wing does not move around. Read it!!! FYI- The wing bolt provided is not a 1/4-20, however it is a 1/4-20 blind nut pre mounted in the plane.

My setup: Irvine 53 with APC 12.25-3.75 with Tower Muffler, 4721's in the wing (it has BIG ailerons, you will need some power to keep full deflection in flight), Futaba 9203 on elevator, Futaba 9402 on rudder, ball links on all surfaces and a 1100 mill 6 volt pack. 5.5 pounds dry. (This plane can be done lighter than mine. I am using all coreless, BB and metal gear servos with a heavy battery pack and ball links, I know it adds weight, maybe 1/2 pound if not more.) Elevator low rate is 45 degrees and high rate is 70 and the rudder bangs the elevator half's. My low rates are higher than the recommended high rate and my CG is about 6" back of the leading edge and it may need to come back more.

I only have a 6 flights on mine so far, including 2 flight last night at a night fly.

Things it does well: Waterfall, harrier, rolls FAST FAST FAST I like that, does a great wingtip spin, snaps and tumbles well. Decent blender and inverted flat spin and have to pop the elvator to hover it, so it needs more tail weight.

Things not so well: Knife edge. It needs allot of speed to KE, may need to make the rudder bigger or something cause I am maxed on deflection.

IMO-because it has a scale type wing with the amount of taper in the leading edge, I find it will drop a wing (elevator snap) when pulling or pushing the elevator. I have allot of deflection and that can be part of it, however a Flip, Madness, UCD or most any profile will not elevator snap. Still working on a solution. Does not seem to fly really slow, well. Its that slow flying is what you want for a good 3D machine.

As a aerobatic plane, its great. As a 3D machine, I will let you know later tonight..
Old 07-28-2003, 11:06 PM
karben

To Propnut 1,
I put mine together with a ThunderTiger 46 and that's not enough engine . I had to add so much nose weight that it forgot the word lightweight.. I wasn't satisfied with its performance so decided if it needs so much nose weight why not go with a 61 TT . The balance came out perfect with the 61.. We flew it yesterday and what a difference the larger engine made.. It took a really sicky and made a nice acrobatic aircraft out of it.. The only holdback is the pilot, me..
Building went well except for the transparent yellow on the bottom.. I used Dubro pin hinges and had to enlarge the slots for the hinges and a lot of balsa from the slots got down into the wing which is visible thru the transparent ultracoat.. Like a course shreded sawdust.. Doesn't hurt anything just doesn't look good if you are looking at the bottom.. The cowling fit like a glove and generally the construction was fast, and the factory workmanship on mine was excellent ..I used a Pitt type muffler, with the stacks pinched to increase back pressure.. I only flew it once, as Dave McDonald ran it thru it's paces and set it up for me.. No sense in a amateur doing that computer set up with a real pro around. Thanks to Dave my Funtana should be a frequent visitor to the field..