RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   PRO X 260 Assemb/Build Thread Gas Engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/11551843-pro-x-260-assemb-build-thread-gas-engine.html)

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-24-2013 08:07 AM

PRO X 260 Assemb/Build Thread Gas Engine

I have a new PRO X260 90 size ARF profile, that I plan to put together with a Mintor 22 gas engine. Would anyone be interested in a build thread. Shouldn't take but a few days as I have most of the work done but have documented about 40 photos.

I'll space the the post out over a few days to give people time to think about it and post responses.

If no one is interested or post a response, I'll let this thread die in it's infancy.

Thanks,
Bill

novabill 06-25-2013 04:02 AM

RE: PRO X 260 Assemb/Build Thread Gas Engine

Im interested in the plane and would like to see a build thread, flight report and some video.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-26-2013 07:19 PM

William,

I'll be glad to do it. I'll have plenty of pictures. Unfortunately a video will be difficult for me as I don't have a video camera at this time. Maybe I can get one of the guys at the club to shoot one for me. I have been on the road the last couple of days and just returned home this eve. I can post probably a dozen or so pictures tomorrow night. In fact I think I can have the thread completed by Saturday or Sunday.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-27-2013 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well ere goes,

I hate to use the term build with an ARF. Probably the term assemble is more realistic however, I did have to modify a few aspects of the model to obtain my goal so I use the term assemble/build in the title. And as many of you know, not all arfs are easily assembled depending on the plane and/or mfg. I will be useing the term build in a generic sense as I know some people are sensitive to how it is used. That being said, I'll start by posting a few pictures of the start up.

1) a picture of the box showing the specs.

2) A photo of the manual which seems to be high quality. I did however use a little different sequence on the build that seemed to work better for me than the manual but, it's sequence is okay for those that want to go line item by line item.

3) shows the parts laid out on the build table. The components were wrapped with bubble wrap and had no damage that I could see. The box was organized very well with adequate protection provided.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-27-2013 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I should mention that I normally build from plans or kits however, I do have three Arfs now including this one out of about a dozen or so planes. One important note I should mention is... This is my very first profile plane other than a little fan fold foamy. Below are a couple of pictures of my intended power plant. I picked up a Mintor 22 gas engine from a fellow modeler in our club. The engine has recently had a bowmen ring installed in it. I know there have been a few issues with the Mintors but, this one seems to run very well. I wished I could have gotten it with a profile muffler however since I bought this one used, I have to take what's on it which happens to be for inverted use. Guess I'll just have to clean the front of the right wing from time to time,,,no big deal.
I think it was a good deal. I paid a Texas ten for it.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-27-2013 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first complaint,

Although the structure appears very well constructed, The covering job is probably the worst covering job I've ever seen on an Arf. The instruction manual states the covering will have wrinkles due to shipping humidity etc. but I don't believe for a minute it would contribute to the poor covering job on this particular model. I know this is a reputable company because I've seen their other work at the field. I think this thing must have been covered late on a Friday afternoon. It looks like the covering was heated and stuck down on the edges but never ironed down as a whole. I spent hours on all the components ironing and tightening in order to get it to look decent. In fact the covering was so loose, I was concerned it was on the airframe tight enough to even shrink the covering enough to form a tight fit. But, time and heat prevailed with a good finish. Unfortanately, there may not be enough shrinkage left for retightening.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-27-2013 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What do you guys and or gals think?

Will the little Mintor handle this nice four blade propeller I found? It's 52 inches and equipped for center hub landing light. :D

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-27-2013 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On a more serious note. VERY IMPORTANT!!!

If you follow the instructions on this step you will cause your ailerons to be locked when you install the SFGs. You won't be able to use the SFGs at all because installing them will cause the aileron tips to bind against them. DO NOT line up the edges with a straight edge! Line up the decal design on the wing with the aileron. Then double check with a straight edge making sure you have about a 1/16 of an inch or more clearence between the aileron and the straight edge. This clearence will be there and allow you to use your SFGs. There is an addendum on the online manual on the Aeroworks web site.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-27-2013 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Time to fit the servos,

Pic 1) I read some negative reports about the servo I bought, (unfortunately, after I already purchased it) But, I tested these on the bench and the centering and slop that I read about online does not appear on this particular batch of servos so maybe I got lucky. I'm useing Hitec HS5685MH digitals.

Pic 2) The manual says nothing about hardening the servo screw holes that I noticed. However, I always back out the screws once I run them into the wood creating the thread and harden them with thin CA. Takes just a drop or two per hole. Wait 5 minutes or so before installing the servo or your screws may be permanently attached or at the very least will pull the threads out if you remove them at a later date.

Pic 3) Do not use the screws that come with a new servo in the wing. Doing so will cause your screw to protrude out of the wing surface. The manual states, cut about an 1/8 inch off of the end of the screw however, I just replaced the screw with a 7/16 long screw out of my RTL fastener assortment that I purchased a few years ago. This is a very handy assortment and I highly recommend it for modelers. There are other brands that I'm sure are good as well but I happened to get started with RTL and have been pleased with their quality.

Pic 4) Shows the servo mounted in the wing. Be sure to align it in the hole in the bottom of the wing.

Pic 5) This picture shows the servo shaft sticking out of the premade hole in the bottom of the wing.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-27-2013 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The pics below show cutting out the fuse with a scroll saw. Then I followed up with a sanding drum on my Dremil to get a final fit. The rest of the pictures show various angles as I was fitting the engine. This was out of sequence with the manual as I wanted to fit the engine prior to installing the stab and rudder. It made the assembly easier to handle without risk of breaking a tail feather. I need to mention that I placed two washers, one each under the front engine lugs between the engine and the model to give the engine about a two degree right thrust per the manual.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-27-2013 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Below are pictures of the stab and elevator installation. I havn't used ca hinges in years however these seem to be of good quality as is all the hardware supplied with this model.

novabill 06-28-2013 03:47 AM

Looking good Bill;)

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you William,

In this picture you will see where I cut a small strip of covering off of the area that will be under the rudder stab. This will give the epoxy more wood aqrea to adhere to. The instructions don't mention this. I cant imagine Aeroworks thinking epoxying the rudder to the covering would be strong. You can look at one of the pics in the previous post and compare to this one to see the strip I removed.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

I almost made a terrible error during this part of the process but I got lucky and spotted the error prior to the epoxy setting. When you install the rudder stab, be sure you clean the epoxy from the area I'm pointing to and place a little parchment or wax paper between the elevator and the rudder stab or your elevator will be locked permanently to the rudder stab when the epoxy cures. Whew!!![X(]

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here a couple of pictures of the status at this point in the build.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of updated pics where the engine was installed. I glued a very thin strip on ply to the rear of the engine area to cover a couple of holes in the fuse at this point. This should keep any fuel from blowing into the fuse. Also, I brushed a thin layer of epoxy to the entire area of exposed wood to fuel proof the uncovered wood.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pictures of the tail servos. The book does not mention this but I hardened all the servo horn screw holes with thin CA prior to installing the horns and back plates. Also, I used metal servo arms on all servos excepth the throttle servo.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the power plant area. I installed the Ig. Battery (1650 Mah Nimh), in the left wing. I also installed the radio gear in the right wing which was a Hitec Optima 9 rx and a 2300 Mah A123 battery to power the radio. As you will see on some pictures on one of the next few posts, I mounted the switches in the compartment hatches on each wing. This plane is going to be a little heavy. Hopefully the Mintor is up to the task. Also, I mounted the fuel tank as close to the CG as possible. I used a 6 oz tank which should give me about ten minutes of flight with proper throttle management.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Acouple of pictures where you can see the switches mounted in the hatch.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
don't follow the instruction manual here. It states, place a stick on top of the wing and aileron and tape them straight. This will make the plane unflyable in all likelyhood. Or at the very least a plane that is difficult to control. I think there is an addendum somewhere stating to lign up the SFG screws to find the center of the aileron throw however, I did something a little different since this plane has fully semitricle wings. Lay a straight edge on top and make a mark with a dry erase marker. Then Lay it against the wing on bottom and make a second mark. Then simply measure the distance between the two mars and mark a center line. You'll notice my center mark was a little off in the photo. I went back and fixed it after the photo was taken and didn't get qa chance to make new pics at the time as my camera battery died. Anyway, this should be true center and not affect the handeling of the plane adversly.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photos of the decals after installation. Aeroworks provided some very nice decals. Many times I don't install the things but, this plane begged for them.

WILDCRASHWILLY 06-29-2013 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And finally, some pictures of the maiden flight. The plane is a little nose heavy with that gas engine up front. I plan to add some lead to the tail wheel this week and see if that improves the characteristics of this model. It flys very well as it is but I can tell I have to add more down elevator than I should when inverted. Flat spins are good and Knife edge is great. I'm not very good at hovering but what little I did, this model took it in stride. Harriers are good but you have to be careful and ready on the rudder as it wants to break right at times. The six oz tank is getting me the ten minutes I though it would but I have to be careful as I can't get a second more. I had the plane run out of fuel twice during my warning timer, and deadsticked, (which was a non event). The little Mintor has a tremendous amount of power in this size model. I very rarely flew over half throttle and most of the time flew at about a third. The last picture was our aircraft controller who seems to approve of the plane and it's maiden flight. I'll update everybody later after I add a little tail weight and try to get the CG to 5 inches. Currently it's about 4 and 7/8ths inches from the leading edge at the wint tip or a little less.

jamesef91 06-30-2013 08:01 PM

I love this plane. I have one I have been flying for a couple of years with a DLE 20. It will do anything you can imagine. I have had only problem in that I generally fly it from a pretty rough field and with a 17X6 Prop I found that the very little prop clearance caused me to neck prop tips frequently. I tried many solutions until I found a fix of moving the gear to the lower mounting hole then adding a ply block shaped and glued to the bottom of the fuselage and drilling a new lower gear mount hole through it. This effectively extended the gear by a couple of inches and provided the needed prop clearance.
Enjoy!
P.S. I did try other smaller props but didn't like the way the plane flew with them

novabill 07-01-2013 03:24 AM

Great job Bill!

What was your all up weight?

WILDCRASHWILLY 07-01-2013 03:53 AM

James

I'm running a 17 X 6 Zoar. I also, am concerned about prop strikes. I may go back and just purchase a taller landing gear but, I haven't decided yet. So far I've only made about eight flights with it and have been fortunate enough to make 3 point landings with it. I know it's coming though because I'm not that consistent with my landings.

William,

I added another ounce of lead to the tail wheel bracket yesterday in order to improve the balance. I was a little nose heavy. I hope to fly again on the 4th and see how it handles.
I'm not crazy about the AUW at 7lbs and 12 oz. Gas engine I guess hurt me a little more than I thought. This includes 1 oz of lead in the left wing tip and another ounce of lead on the tail wheel for balancing. I'm running a 6 oz fuel tank on the CG which helps my wet weight and gives me ten minutes of flying time.