RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Free Plans for the PBXL (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/300186-free-plans-pbxl.html)

rb765 10-19-2002 03:43 AM

printing

you might try a place that does blue print printing...i found a couple locally that print full sheets for less than $1.00 each as well as they make full size copies for the same price. i now copy any plan i buy so they dont get all messed up and store the original....Kinkos was a bit higher, not to mention about twice as far from where i live..

Robert300XS 10-19-2002 01:16 PM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Dangit! Now I have to get one of thoes and put a 45 in it!

Kevins_RC 10-19-2002 10:14 PM

Printing & using a 45

If you are going to download the plans, you need to have them plotted out first before you can get blueprints done. I can't believe that you found someone that still have a blueprint machine. That is OLD - OLD technology :( . Make sure you build off of the blueprints and save the original, as you stated, because blueprints don't last very long, pending on the age of the amonia used at the time. We are dating ourselves now because I knew exactly what you were talking about - LOL

Robert - I sure as heck wouldn't put a 45 on the PBXL. Way too much! :eek: A 32 is too much, but that is the way I'm going. I am using the scrap wood that I have thrown to the side because of it being too heavy to use on a Fun-Fly. I don't use contest. I don't go to that extreme. Even with the heavy wood, this one should end up less than 2-1/2 lbs! I an going to used (3) standard servos and 1 HS205 (mini) for the throttle.

I am working on the instruction set and hope to have that done in the next couple of weeks. I will then start shipping the laser packs with full scale scratch builders plans and construction manual.
Kevin :D

Robert300XS 10-20-2002 01:02 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

This is also a 15 year old enya too =p Older than me!

Kevins_RC 10-20-2002 01:42 AM

15 yr. old Enya 45

Robert300XS - the weight will hurt you more than anything else.

rb765 10-20-2002 04:28 AM

printing

the local blue print shop that i used did the plotting for me for free. it was a small mom and pop shop. the other blue print shop wanted $16.00 for the plotting then would do the prints for 65 cents each.

all i'm saying is ask around and keep your options open instead of locking in on Kinkos.. there are better and cheaper alternatives

Robert300XS 10-20-2002 01:39 PM

Free Plans for the PBXL

well then make a scaled up pbf for a 46 lol

Kevins_RC 10-21-2002 06:48 PM

Update

Well Guys, I finally got mine built - as least 'boned-out'. I started covering last night. I put everything on a postage scale (minus foam wheels and wire landing gear), motor, motor mount, servos, batt. pack, etc., and it was still under 2 lbs. I am using a Webra 32 with a 700 mA NiCad batt. pack. Three std. servos and 1 HS225 for throttle. I used scrap wood (too heavy or bad grain for a true Fun-Fly), so there is quite a bit of room for making it even lighter.
I have received the laser packs.
I have formatted all of the pictures for the construction manual last night too. I have started on the construction manual as well. Now I just need to find the time to finish it all up.

Kevins_RC 10-23-2002 06:24 PM

Update (Again)

I covered the Foil itself last night. I will cover the profile fuse and glue it into position tonight, and hopefully start rigging it out. I hope to test flight it this weekend (hopefully this Friday). Then I will concentrate on the construction manual! I post a couple of pics when I finish covering it.

Kevins_RC 10-25-2002 08:42 PM

Finished - Pic 1

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the finished product

Kevins_RC 10-25-2002 08:43 PM

Another Final Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another view.

Kevins_RC 10-25-2002 08:44 PM

Another Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Top View

PaulSwany 10-25-2002 08:44 PM

Free Plans for the PBXL

That looks really cool Kevin.... I'm dying to find out how she flys.....

Kevins_RC 10-25-2002 08:46 PM

Last - Bottom View

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the bottom.
It is ready to test fly, though its raining. I'll try this weekend sometime. My club is having a giant scale Flu-In this weekend, but I find some time to sneak in a few flights somehow.

mynameisAARON 10-26-2002 03:36 AM

darn rain

Very nice, can't wait for the flight report...I have the plans printed to 13'' and the ribs cut ...Building it LITE, Norvel .061 and micro gear.. :D
Aaron

Kevins_RC 10-26-2002 10:45 PM

Flight Report!

What a BLAST!!! I hand launched it with a little right rudder. No problem! I needed one click of down elevator and that was all. I balanced mine at about 5-3/4" from the leading edge. It has to be the easiest to hover that I've ever experienced, Harriers are super easy as well. It loves to flat spin upright, and needs a little coaxing to keep it in an invert flat spin. I need to experiment some more on the inverted flat spin. I did find that you need to bend the main landing gear forward, otherwise it just noses over, take-off and landing. Also, watch that rudder input!!! I tried to knife edge it, and it snaps out into inverted flight! By the way, it doesn't flight any different inverted! :cool: Too much rudder input at the wrong time will put it into a Death Spin that it doesn't want to come out. I put it straight into the ground twice witch only caused 1 broken prop. I am going to experinent more tomorrow with it. I've bent the landing gear forward so that the axles are in line with the leading edge.
Aaron - I would recomend just putting one main wheel in front inline with the firewall.
Overall - its a BLAST!!!

PaulSwany 10-26-2002 11:30 PM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Awesome.... What are you selling the short kits for? Awe heck... I'll just hand cut it... I've got the plans.... Should I move the gear up?

Kevins_RC 10-26-2002 11:39 PM

Gear Locations - Paul

I wouldn't move the gear blocks. They are currently tied into the spar for strength. You'll need that strength for the gear block. I would just bend the wire landing gear forward.
The laser packs will be $32 shipped in the 48 states. I will come with the laser cut ribs and a few extra laser cut pieces, a set of the scratch builder plans, and a construction manual. The ribs are not solid to remove excess weight and of course they have the break away building tabs.

mynameisAARON 10-26-2002 11:57 PM

Cooooool

Kevin
thanks for the input but no gear for this one (too heavy)...After a lazy 4.5 hours its all framed up and just needs the tips and rudder built...Would you recommend a change on the rudder or not for better knife edge?
BTW what was your control throws set for? sorry if answered somewhere else...
THANK YOU for the plans :D
Aaron

Kevins_RC 10-27-2002 12:12 AM

Throws

Initially I started with everything at +/-1" on all surfaces on low rate and about +/- 1-1/2" on high rate. After inital flight, I bumped up low rate to equal the original high rate, and just move the high rate up, but I wouldn't start there! I am going to increase the expo on the rudder, and possibly cut it in half. I also started with 40% expo and haven't changed yet, until tomorrow on the rudder. With the original set-up, roll rate is fast, to say the least! The only reason I bumped it up was to get better response a very low speeds. By the way, I can get it to loop is slightly longer than its length, and since it is only 24 inches long, that's not bad!
Hope that this helps!

Kevins_RC 10-27-2002 02:02 AM

Knife Edge

The PBXL (Pizza Box with Extra Lift), a.k.a. PB Foil is not for knife edge manuvers. I thought about raising the landing gear height and installing a duplicate fuse on the bottom. Forming a wire to go through the fuse and tieing the two rudders together. Have an 'X-Tail' simuliar to the Whazz-Up!!! design. I also did an 'X-Tail' configuration on a scratch built / designed pylon racer. The dual rudder configuration worked great on the plyon racer though was not as smooth as the V-Tail configuration.
Just a thought. Let me know if anyone tries this. I will probably do one like this down the road. Though is not high on my building list right now.

Kevins_RC 10-27-2002 10:44 PM

Updated flight report!

I had a blast with the PBXL (Pizza Box w/ Extra Lift) again today. I put it into the 'Dead spiral' again today. Same as yesterday, though I didn't get it to pull out yesterday. Today I found if you give it full down elevator and a little throttle burst, it will pop out of the spiral into an inverted flat spin! :D
I was hovering it today and torque rolling it about 2 feet off of the gound when I went the wring way with the rudder into and it flopped out into an inverted flat spin about a foot off of the ground!!! :eek: I spun it around about half a dozen times, then I gave it full down elevator and a burst of throttle and it pop out into upright flight! :D The guys watching me asked me to do it again. I told them that I needed to land and shake the sh*t out of my pant leg :rolleyes: And stick my thumb in my mounth and blow to counteract the pucker factor! Needless to say, I didn't try it again! :D
I was having fun bouncing the tail skid off of the ground in a harrier and hovering. The motor diffinitely needs some right thrust.
I bent the landing gear forward. It works great!
I also carved on a Zinger 10x4 according to 3Dreaming's recommendation. It worked GREAT!!!
Have Fun with your PBXL. Expect people to laugh at it until you start flying it. Then the laughter turns to WOWs!

tailspnr 10-28-2002 04:21 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Kevin, whats you overall comparison of the PBXL vs. PBF coroplast? Im interested to hear how much differently it flies than the traditional PBF in all modes especially if it eliminates the bad forward flight habits. Dont get me wrong.......I am in true love with my regular PBF's but if a great thing has been improved upon without sacrificing all of the things that standard PBF does well I'll be sending you my $32 right now. I've heard you describe the death spins that sounds very familier to the PBF....especially the inverted death spin.

And how does the PBXL hold up to the inverted death spin splat? It looks like the vertical fuse/stab could be delicate if landed like PBF so often ends contacting mother earth. Atleast mine does...lol. But thats the beauty of PBF.

I guess I'd really love to see some video clips of PBXL. Let us know if your able get some posted.

Thanks,
Scott K

Kevins_RC 10-28-2002 06:47 PM

PBF vs PBXL

The PBF needs to be flown in a high alpha angle (so to speak) where the PBXL does not. You can fly the PBXL like a sport plane, if you like (but who would want to? :D ) The PBXL hovers, harriers, elevators, torque rolls, flat spins (upright and inverted) GREAT!!! The nice thing about the PBXL is that it will perform all of the manuvers of a PBF, and has the forgiveness of a sport plane. The death spiral that I spoke of earlier is more like a knife edge spin, though I found with full down elevator and a burst of throttle, it jumps out into an inverted flat spin. I put my PBXL straight into the ground on Sat. in this "death spin", though only lost a prop once. The PBXL survived very well (must be the interlocking design :D ). I got it to do the wildest consecutive pinwheels then into a flat spin once. I haven't been able to duplicate this manuver yet! Though will continue to try.
I plan on taking some movies of it flying and posting them (if I can stop laughing long enough :D ) The PBXL is a Blast. After it went straight into the ground in that death spin, and I retrieved it, replaced the prop and launched it again, 3 guys came up to me and asked where they could get one of those things! :p They were laughing at it earlier. I hope to have the construction manual done this week for the PBXL. I will post it on my website so that people can order it using PayPal there.
Thanks and I hope that this answers your questions.

paperairplanes 10-31-2002 03:17 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

when will you be ready to send out the kits?