RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Free Plans for the PBXL (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/300186-free-plans-pbxl.html)

Kevins_RC 10-04-2002 01:56 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys!
I've been working on a version of the Pizza Box Flier. I decided to go with a foil instead. You can see the experiments with the coroplast Pizza Box Foil at the following thread:

http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...1&pagenumber=1

This inspired me further to design a conventional construction version. I have posted a self extracting zip file that will give you a dxf format CAD file FREE!!! :eek: :D . You can see a picture of the plans here, and download the actual full scale plans free off of my website at:

http://hsrcm.com/free-plans.htm

All of the templates that you would need to build the Pizza Box Foil (I like to call it the "PBXL" for 'Pizza Box with Extra Lift') is on the drawing.
I will post a bill-of-material list shortly and also offer laser packs for those of you that do not want to scratch built it.
Tell me what you think & Enjoy.
Kevin :D

Derrick-RCU 10-04-2002 03:25 AM

Thanks!

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the free plans! Already downloaded and printed! Now I just need time to build one. ;)

How well will this design fly on a bushed .15?
Also, where should the cg be?

PaulSwany 10-04-2002 03:31 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Where's the engine mount on this? Have you tried to build one?

PaulSwany 10-04-2002 03:32 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Oh... I see it now... you have a firewall for a conventional engine mount...

BMatthews 10-04-2002 03:37 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

First off thanks for posting up those plans.

I've been reading about these PBF's for the past couple of days and I was also thinking about a built up version. However I had the idea of using some 1/2 x 1 flat for the leading edge and 1/4 square for the trailing edge and built up elevons. The ribs would be a few 1/4 x 1/2 on edge and I'd build in a couple of diagonals to help support the corners during the cartwheels. So it would be more of a built up flat plate than your's.

Looking forward to hearing about how it flies.

da king 10-04-2002 04:27 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Im having probloms.runzip doesnt do any thing.HELP.I was kicking around the idea.would a plane bearing .25 do???

Kevins_RC 10-04-2002 12:13 PM

Replies

Derrick - I've designed the PB Foil to build light. The Coroplast version with a Webra 32, 3 std. servos, and I mini servo, 700 mA batt. pack came out at 2-1/2 lbs. The built up version should be significantly lighter. With using a bushed 15, I would use mini servos all the way around to help keep the weight down. So be sure to decrease the openings in the servo trays for your servos.

da king - The plans are a self-extracting ZIP file, that is way when you download the file it has a .exe file extension. Once downloaded, just double click on the file and it should extract into its native file form, assuming that your computer is not ancient.

In regards to how it flies? - Well if it flies like the coroplast version, it should be a BAST!!! This one will be lighter, which will give better performance. The wing tips will offer additional stability for harriers, etc. The coroplast version flat spinned like crazy. With the landing gear, it should flat spin to the ground without any problems. I going to build a couple. One with a Webra 32, and the other electric.

Kevins_RC 10-04-2002 08:38 PM

Material List

I have now posted the Bill-Of-material list and hardware requirements for the PB Foil for those that are interested at:
http://hsrcm.com/PB-Foil-misc_wood.htm

Kevins_RC 10-04-2002 10:05 PM

PB Foil CG

It has been brought to my attention that I forgot to note the CG location on the plans (Thanks Derrick!).
I suggest that you start at 5in. to 5-1/2" from the leading edge. This worked well on the Coroplast version.

OldRCer 10-05-2002 03:53 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Kevin, I tried but failed to get the plans. I will keep working on coro version. The flat coro's have worked well .
Thanks.
P.S. I have lots of coro to experiment with.

Kevins_RC 10-08-2002 08:26 PM

OldRCer - Download

You must be on AOL! :( - LOL
Since I refuse to pay AOL for a keyword, they don't like me :D You will have trouble in downloads with AOL.
If you want, I can email them to you directly. Just drop me a line at: kevin@hsrcm.com

Robert300XS 10-09-2002 12:45 AM

Re: Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by Derrick
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the free plans! Already downloaded and printed! Now I just need time to build one. ;)

How well will this design fly on a bushed .15?
Also, where should the cg be?

Where did you get them printed?

Kevins_RC 10-09-2002 12:59 AM

Printing Plans

The downloaded file is in a dxf file format. Look in your local yellow pages and look for companies that do reproductions, coping, etc. like Kinkos, TPM (The Print Machine), Image Technologies, etc. Give these places a call. Allot of them now will accept a file via email. They will plot it out and call you for pick-up. It just gets easier with technology! :D

Robert300XS 10-09-2002 02:13 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Oooh, I didn't know Kinkos did that! Cool! I got one a couple of miles away! Thanks!

ghjr 10-13-2002 12:34 AM

Electric version

What motor, battery combo do you recommend for an electric version.

Kevins_RC 10-16-2002 01:23 AM

Electric Version

Haven't gotten that far to figure that out yet. I'll let you know as soon as I get enough information. I am not much into electrics, so I'll post the specs and ask for assistance.

Kevins_RC 10-17-2002 02:00 AM

Laser Pack Pics - 1

1 Attachment(s)
I have had some laser packs cut for those of you that want a Pizza Box - Extra Lift (PBXL). This is what I am going to call it, unless you guys can come up with a better name.
Here is the first pic.

Kevins_RC 10-17-2002 02:01 AM

Laser Pack Pic 2

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another pic

Kevins_RC 10-17-2002 02:02 AM

Another Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Another one

Kevins_RC 10-17-2002 02:03 AM

Another one

1 Attachment(s)
OOPS - Here it is!

Kevins_RC 10-17-2002 02:05 AM

Another - But Last

1 Attachment(s)
Last one for now!

stomper 10-17-2002 10:31 AM

Free Plans for the PBXL

Hey Kevin
Whats the cost of the laser packs you are selling?
Thanks

doug

Kevins_RC 10-17-2002 10:50 AM

Laser Packs Cost

Laser packs for the PBXL will be about $32.00 (shipped in the 48 continental US states) with the scratch builder plans and a condensed construction manual (when I finish it).
Hope that this answers your questions for now!

Kevins_RC 10-19-2002 01:28 AM

Latest Pics

1 Attachment(s)
Photo 1
Have yet to hinge the elevons, cut the hatches and final sand

Kevins_RC 10-19-2002 01:29 AM

Pic 2

1 Attachment(s)
Just another view for now. Oh, I also have to install the rudder servo, finish the nose section with hatch for fuel tank, and set-up engine mount.