RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   BatPlane construction saga (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/3938670-batplane-construction-saga.html)

Miken96 02-20-2006 11:01 PM

BatPlane construction saga

1 Attachment(s)
All,
I have seen and read several posts asking about the "BatPlane" made by GT Generix. I was able to acquire one, and will post the progress. I also have the plans and instructions (I made copies) if you are interested. I will not go into pricing, but suffice it to say, I cannot become rich. It costs almost $10.00 just to copy the plans AND instructions. As of today (20 February 2006) I am about 50% done. I have modified several areas and will more than likely deviate from the instructions several more times.
To start off, I am using a different servo setup than called for. I built servo trays in the back of the wing and I am using the Hitec HS-125MG to run each elevon. This will give me more precice control and the ability to FULLY use the elevon features. Internal, I am using a standard 600MA battery, but I elected to use a micro receiver with 6 channels. I am also using 3ea Hitec HS-81 servos for Nose wheel steering, Throttle, and the rudders. Yes, I modified the tail feathers to include rudders. I do not like to fly aircraft without a rudder, and EPICALLY the Batplane!!! My experience with the Balsa USA Enforcer and Delta Vortex taught me to like rudders. I will post more pictures as I get them. I plan on lots more detail and some very unique landing gear combo's..... I am using a OS 46AX with a tuned pipe for power, so I shouldn't be lacking in that department....

idoxlr8-RCU 02-21-2006 07:39 PM

RE: BatPlane construction saga

What size is your Batplane? My batplane only had an OS 20 on it, and it was a bat out of H..... It flew great with no rudders. It would leave my hands and be out of sight in about 5 seconds. just a little FYI. Enjoy to bat.

Miken96 02-21-2006 07:42 PM

It's the 40 size or 48" wingspan

Miken96 03-08-2006 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the ALMOST finished pics. The Rudder idea had to be scrapped in the name of weight and function. Everything else has survived. Weather permitting, it will test fly it tomorrow. I estimated the final weight at 4lbs so the 46AX engine should have no problems!!!

zac dady 03-08-2006 02:24 AM

That plane is awesome goodluck on maiden flight. i really need to have a plane like that.

mrbigg 03-09-2006 07:20 AM

Me too. The kids would love it.

Monkey Gutz69 03-19-2006 05:16 AM

Miken96, Dude, been waiting to find out how the BP flys. Can't take it any longer..lol.. How was the maiden???? Did it do as well as I think it did????? Please let us know how it went and where I can get the plans. I have a friend who would LOVE this thing.. Regards, Monkey Gutz

McFlyboy 03-19-2006 06:16 AM

That looks cool, nice one[sm=thumbup.gif]

Miken96 04-09-2008 01:30 PM

Well, After a 1 year tour to Korea and a few jaunts over to the middle east, I was able to get back to my BatPlane. I got 4 flights from it. The 1st went poorly due to a bad landing gear placement. The 2nd went better, but the nose wheel came off just after take off, the 3rd was un-eventfull and interesting... Lots of changes to the CG were required. The 4th.... Well, let's just say that batman safely ejected before becoming a causualty. The aircraft caught a bad cross wind on take-off, the leading edge dipped down, caught the ground and started it cartwheeling. Not much was recoverable.. After getting over my desire to commin harry-carey, I re-doubled my efforts and have started a newer project. Using foam and lite ply, I will re-build and power it using 2 EDF (from the EPD-8 Aircraft) hyperflow engines. Total weight after completion including motors, ESC's, and batteries will be under 3lbs. That should give me a thrust - to - wight of almost 1 to 1. I will post pics as I get them...

mwalsh6 11-13-2009 05:19 PM

I would be most interested in getting a copy of the plans and instructions for the Batplane. Please let me know if you still have them available and what size engine. I made one years ago and it was a small engine .15 or .25. Would love to build another.

Please let me know

Mike

Daddyo57 11-13-2009 09:14 PM

Awesome looking airplane!!!!! you should sell the plans or kit it as it would be a great seller!!! :D Great job!

mwalsh6 02-22-2010 07:12 PM

Miliken, thanks again for the plans, just need 1 more piece of info. The plans didn't show if there is any diehedral in the wing. If so please let me know. Heres a couple of pics of where I am so far in designing a .46 pusher.[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Mike

gemjonz 10-05-2016 03:39 PM

Bat Instructions manual

Wow, ten years ago since you posted. I Don't expect you to get this, but if you do, I have the same Bat plane, Same Bat plans and same Bat Kit. I do not however, have the Bat manual to build my plane. Any chance you have the bat manual still? If you even reply, I'm going to have a Bat Heart attack!;)