RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Lets See Some Fun Fly Plane Pics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/46071-lets-see-some-fun-fly-plane-pics.html)

NavyFlyer 02-10-2002 10:32 PM

Fly..

I fly in Florence, Alabama..

I got the Twister at a swap meet about a year or so ago...

Jeff

jmulder 02-11-2002 02:50 AM

Lets See Some Fun Fly Plane Pics

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my burgandy hawk.....I mean my bluehawk,,,,,heehee

jmulder 02-11-2002 02:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres my pen knife

jmulder 02-11-2002 02:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres my top cap

jmulder 02-11-2002 02:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a gee bee i built a while back

jmulder 02-11-2002 02:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres my knife

jmulder 02-11-2002 03:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ive got a pic of my hotts somewhere but i cant it find it so here another look at my pen knife.......heehee

FlyHard 02-11-2002 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does This qualify as a fun fly? It's Morris Giant SuDoKoi. It's powered by a Moki 1.8 on a Mac's pipe. Prop is a 18x8 spinning about 9,800 rpms.

Scorpionjack 02-11-2002 02:53 PM

GP GeeBee

1 Attachment(s)
Modified Carbon inlayed on fuse, Gear's moved to Wing, Throttle Double bellcrank for Linear response. Flown with YS 53, GMS.47 and OS 46FX. Excellent Flat spin, KnifeEdge have to stay on Elevator. Harriers very nice.

Scorpionjack 02-11-2002 02:59 PM

FunFly 51

1 Attachment(s)
Modified Gear, moved to the Wing. Tank area Reinforced and made centered into the fuse with a Silcone saddle. Blenders,Climbing Inverted Flatspins, right side-up Flatspins, Engine YS 53, have used GMS 47. Flight Charcterisitcs are very good but a little touchy on harrier may want to try Winglets this year.

Scorpionjack 02-11-2002 03:02 PM

Morris Su-Do-Khoi ARF

1 Attachment(s)
I know a 40+ year vetran buying an ARF, Oh well it's a Morris. Can't say anything bad about it. except very Weak Tail wheel area had to modify it. Sealed all control surfaces with Transparent Ultracoat. Flat Spins, Hovers, Harriers I really don't care what I throw at it it takes it. Flys with a OS 46FX

Scorpionjack 02-11-2002 03:06 PM

Sig SE

1 Attachment(s)
Well this has been modified, Tank is on the CG, Wing mounts are modified during construction to accept 1/4 X 20 hold downs vs, rubber bands. Canopy was put away and a foam glassed canopy was molded into the deck. Flys gorgeous Engine is a YS 63

bugsiegel 02-11-2002 03:48 PM

FlyHard,
nice plane. what engine/prop set up are you using?

jmulder 02-12-2002 03:45 AM

well i cant believe nobody liked my pen knife.........lol

PaulSwany 02-12-2002 02:16 PM

Pen Knife

Jmulder... I liked the pictures of your pen knife... especially the second one.... :D

What equipment do you have it it? What did the weight come out too??

Foamguy 02-12-2002 10:01 PM

I liked the Penknife too. :) I had one once... and I liked it... it just didnt live very long for me.
Some planes are like that. :(

Foamguy

kamlooper 02-13-2002 02:29 AM

foamguy

Foamguy, build another penknife. I bet the wood for it would set you back a whole $15, :)

PaulSwany 02-13-2002 03:10 PM

Does anyone have plans for a pen knife?

RC_Eflyer-RCU 02-13-2002 05:29 PM

Kamlooper,
I have Foamguys Penknife and have fixed it (it had been broken in front of the wing, its too weak there) Anyway, Its too heavy compared to some of the other fun flys out there. I could probably knock a whole pound off the weight, (lighter wood, radio, covering)

We'll see how I like it. I think its too heavy. (heavier than my 48" Span electric funfly with 10 1700 mah cells crammed in there)

--Paul

Foamguy 02-13-2002 06:13 PM

Originally posted by PaulSwany
Does anyone have plans for a pen knife?
I still have them. They arent in the best shape, but you could build a plane off of them. Email me your address and I'll mail them to you.

Foamguy

Foamguy 02-13-2002 06:26 PM

The plane itself is light enough, but I put standard servos in it, standard receiver, monokote, etc.... and it came out just over 3 lbs if I remember right. Pretty high wing loading for a funfly in my opinion, but some like em loaded heavier than me. I could do it again and build it much, much lighter.... use Nelson Litefilm covering, HS-225 servos...Norvel .25 ( 8 oz.) or Webra .32 ( 8 or 9 oz.) Could shed 1/2 lb with those mods. I had a Magnum .32 in mine ( heavy ) and it STILL needed lead in the nose to balance, even though I had it mounted as far forward as it would go. Maybe they figured some guys would put 4 strokes in them ? I dunno, but I hate adding lead to any model. Rather try to solve the problem before I get to that point. Again, thats just me, some guys are cool with it. My biggest disappointment was after all that hard work, I got maybe 10 flights out of it... the fuse broke in two at the leading edge. I just landed it, no bounce, no nothing, and the whole front fell off. LOL Maybe I didn't epoxy it there well enough or at all, maybe I overlooked that... but if someone was gonna build one, I'd be thinking about what I could do to toughen that area up some. I know well enough that profile planes do often snap at the trailing edge and leading edge, but I never would have expected it unless I guy really, truly dorked it in.

Anyway, I'm working on something of my own design now. Actually similiar to the P.K. in some ways...
so no need for me to build another one. If I ever build another Morris plane ( and I DO like them :)
it'll be the Spinsation. I have a set of plans for that too. :)

Foamguy

3DMike 02-13-2002 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yet another morris design!! oh well they fly so well... This is me hovering my funfly

bugsiegel 02-14-2002 12:42 AM

how

someone tell me how to get a plane down so low in a hover?
and when you get it so low do you hold steady throttle or are you In and Out with the throttle ?

Nice photo by the way.....

Foamguy 02-14-2002 12:59 AM

For me, it's just a matter of practice and having a good plane. Some do hover better than others and of course, many won't hover at all. I was never a good athlete or video game player, but with a lot of practice you can teach yourself. Just start high enough to be able to recover if/when it falls out. When you feel comfortable, start lowering the bar. Expect to dork one in now and then. I do. :) I try to keep it over our swamp with tall grass when I want to get it REALLY low. Slightly tailheavy plane helps, as does a low pitch, wide diameter prop. I find that you need an engine with excellent transition, not only to get you out of trouble in a jam, but the " sweet spot " for a steady hover is about a 3 or 4 click range on my throttle. I have to manipulate the throttle in that range and every click counts. I've also found that if I havent flown in a few weeks(rare), I really tend to over control it. It's something that takes a lot of regular doing. Everytime I go fly I take some time to do some hovers.

Foamguy

bugsiegel 02-14-2002 01:27 AM

soon

before the end of the summer or before the end of this thread I will have the same photo of my self doing a low level hover.
actually, it would make a good thread but only when i can put my self in it also. I will loose all my planes if I have to learn.
what do we name a thread like that?
maybe 6 foot prop and only one way to go
some thing like that.