RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Team OMP Presents the Boxxer ARF! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/5518503-team-omp-presents-boxxer-arf.html)

buildflycrash 04-30-2007 11:18 AM

RE: Team OMP Presents the Boxxer ARF!

When did you say these will be advailable to purchace?

TailTwister 04-30-2007 11:24 AM

Pretty much now. The container had hit OH, but I'm not sure they are in JD's hands yet. The container had to be loaded into a truck, and make the run to JD's place.

The page is up, and I believe orders are being taken.

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/42boxxerarf/

buildflycrash 04-30-2007 11:34 AM

I've been looking and I can't get to that page thru the OMP site.
I've never had a Bipe[&o]

TailTwister 04-30-2007 11:38 AM

On the OMP homepage, there is a drop down menu for planes, on the upper right side. Click on the menu, and select 42 Boxxer ARF.

The OMP site is under going some changes.

buildflycrash 04-30-2007 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

On the OMP homepage, there is a drop down menu for planes, on the upper right side. Click on the menu, and select 42 Boxxer ARF.

The OMP site is under going some changes.
Well, maybe they'll make this change, becouse it's not on there.

TailTwister 04-30-2007 01:18 PM

Dunno... Works for me.[:o]

It's not on the page where all the models are listed, but it's in the drop down menu on the homepage.

Anyway, check it out through my link, I guess...

TailTwister 04-30-2007 01:27 PM

Otherwise...

http://www.copperheadaviation.com/co...?idProduct=271

CopperheadAV 04-30-2007 01:27 PM

I'm working on the web sites right now and am having a few glitches. We should have the work done by the end of the week.

The Boxxers should be in by the middle of the week. If you want to order one, go to http://www.copperheadaviation.com/co...?idCategory=39
Just press backorder and one of us will contact you as soon as they are ready to ship. Sorry for the web errors.

Cheers,

buildflycrash 04-30-2007 01:40 PM

It's on there now.

AFSalmon 05-01-2007 06:49 AM

Sorry for the confusion everyone. Yes we are making lots of changes and certainly have some growing pains but stay tuned and we'll get everything in order. By the way JD (John Drake) has also moved this week to a new address so we'll get the contact info updated as well shortly. The current number may be on and off today and tomorrow until the new number gets up. More to come.

TailTwister 05-07-2007 02:26 PM

Boxxer ARFs have been inspected, and are now shipping to customers.

budshobby 05-09-2007 04:02 PM

Is OMP and Copperhead the same company now? I like the new planes a lot. Really glad they are finally using Ultracote. Waiting for some flight reports.

TailTwister 05-09-2007 10:40 PM

OMP and Copperhead are working towards a degree of integration. That's all happening above my head, but it's in the works, I'm told...

Anyway, I thought I had posted this, but here's my thoughts on the Boxxer ARF Flight:

Boxxer ARF set Up:
Saito 82 (Cooper 30% Nitro fuel)
Pro Zinger 15x4
5 Cell 600mah NiCad
Spektrum AR 7000 receiver
Spektrum 821 servos for surfaces
HS-225 MG for throttle
4.21 pounds on my digital scale.

Boxxer ARF Flight Report:

Taxi- It did.

Take off- It did.

Landing- It did.

Trim- I added three clicks of left aileron and three clicks of down elevator. Invert flight required just a little down elevator to hold level flight. My CG is at 1.25 inches forward of the trailing edge of the top wing, at the center. Recommended starting point is 1 inch.

Control Response- Roll is smokin’. Yaw is very powerful. Pitch is strong inside, and not quite as strong outside. I may program slightly more down than up elevator throw to equal out the feel of the plane.

Hovers- 10 On the maiden, I’m at ground level close enough to reach out and touch the top wing. It’s fast to torque, so watch it!

Torques- 10 Anywhere near vertical, and the Boxxer ARF wants to torque. I was able to hold off the torque with aileron, but once centered, torques get going and wind up pretty good as you burp power.

Upright Elevator- 10 Just hold the elevator back, with a few clicks of power, and the Boxxer ARF starts to drop out of the sky, straight and true.

Invert Elevators- 8 Same as upright, but hold just a hint of right aileron and right rudder. On it’s back, it wants to roll into a spin.

Upright Harriers- 10 A new 3D pilot could learn how to upright harrier on a Boxxer ARF. It was smooth and steady as stone. I was doing harrier figure 8s with about a 20 foot radius on each side. The Boxxer likes ANY angle of attack. It’s not picky at all.

Invert Harriers- 7 I could do them yes. I ended holding a bit of right aileron and right rudder to get a straight line. Holding only the aileron gets you a smooth left turning harrier about 100 feet radius. It’s a little work, but in the span of a single flight, I could do it pretty well. Throttle and tail control are the key to smoothing out the invert.

Snaps and Spins- 10 Simply insane how “wound up” the Boxxer can get. Up elevator spins are a little better, but even down elevator snaps and spins are very impressive.

Blenders- 10 Wow! Dive, roll left, count to two, snap with right rudder and down elevator. As soon as the snap begins, center the ailerons and burp the power. Wow!

Walls- 10 Simply a non event. Pull it, and it pops straight up.

Parachutes- 8 You need to coordinate hitting a hint of power as the Boxxer rotates, otherwise you will drop the left wing. I worked to roll into the throttle a few clicks about half way into the chute, and I was getting a nice flat chute that way.

Waterfalls- 6 This is the only maneuver I felt the plane was missing. Yes, it would do them, but they were pretty loose. Like a real tight outside loop rather then a waterfall. Maybe a more aft CG will help, maybe not. I’ll experiment. It’s worth the effort to figure this out.

Rollers- 9 If anything, the Boxxer needs a little less aileron response to do a decent roller. Even at a snails pace harrier, the roll response (at full throw) is substantial. I had to back off the aileron stick a bit, to get a well timed roller. Once in the groove, it’s a blast to watch the Boxxer roll to the horizon, or in a tight little circle. Remember you will be giving a hint more down than up elevator, to compensate for the “bipe factor”, unless you programmed in a slight differential, as mentioned above.

Knife Edge Flight- 9.5 At flying speed, there is just a hint of roll coupling with the rudder. I had to give just a breath of aileron into my rudder. I’m talking just a hint. I try to keep with whole numbers when I rate, but this is really almost perfect.

H.A.K.E.- 8.5 As the plane slows, and more rudder is added, there is slightly more roll coupling. It is still correctable in flight, and I’ll likely not even mix this out. Also, I picked up just a hint of pitch, but only in a left rudder KE. Right rudder KE had no pitch, and about the same roll. Again, I prefer whole numbers, but it’s better than 8, and not quite a 9.

Flips- 10 I love this maneuver. Harrier around, and bang the throttle with full up elevator, and the Boxxer does a tight little back flip. It really doesn’t even lose much altitude. Even down as low as 6 or 8 feet, I felt safe doing this. I was working on starting in a harrier, doing the flip, then dropping into an elevator. That’s a pretty neat looking combo.

Overall I’ll say this. The Boxxer ARF is plainly and simply well thought out and perfectly executed. It can be a stable, fun to fly, and enjoyable plane, or it can turn it loose and wow spectators all in the same flight.

In follow up, Jeremy mentioned that the Boxxer is very good with flapperons, especially in a waterfall. He was right. A copius amount of flapperon made a respectable waterfall, and made harriers feel like I was cheating.

Hopefully more folks will start to post their thoughts, as the planes get delivered and assembled.

rtn9105 05-16-2007 04:14 AM

Would Hitec 645's be way to much for this ARF? I've got the 645's or some 3004's not in use right now.

CopperheadAV 05-16-2007 05:57 AM

They would be fine. They are a little heavier than their standard servos. You could go with just 2 servos / each servo pushing 2 surfaces / rather than using 4 in the wings.

Cheers,

AFSalmon 05-16-2007 06:34 AM

I agree. The only option I would ever do for 4 aileron servos would be to use HS 85MG or HS81MG on each aileron. But then you would have to Y-harness or mix them all together. Two servos in the top wing with pushrods between the "rons" is the preferred method. You could use the 645s in the tail but as Tim says they are a tad heavier than say a 325HB or equivalent.

TailTwister 05-16-2007 07:30 AM

With Spektrum/JR 821s in my tail, and the Saito 82, I have pretty good balance at 1.25 inches (forward) from the TE of the top wing. Really, 1 inch is about optimum, so your 645s in the tail will likely help out.

I also agree that 4 servos for the wing should be kept to Minis or even micros as Mike mentiones. 4 standards would be needless weight.

wessco 05-16-2007 09:45 AM

I've got a 645 on the elevator of my Chinn-Yakk. While it's plenty strong enough, it's just too slow...even on 6V. Now, the Yakk is tail heavy also....but makes for great harriers...

AFSalmon 05-17-2007 06:58 AM

Good point Wess. The 645s are .2 even at 6V. One of my favorite servos for standard use on 40 size planes is the 325HB. 51 oz of torque at .15 at 6V. Plenty for any 40 size plane including the Boxxer. Obviously more spped and torque means "crisper" response with any plane so you can always go up. On a 40 size plane I've seen little use for any torque over 60 oz. A faster servo is where you get the best benefit. For the ultimate servo on a 40 size plane I like the looks of the Hitec HS5245MG servo. Smaller size, lighter weight, and 76 oz of torque at .12 speed.

rtn9105 07-06-2007 09:55 PM

I've got a question for you guys about the CG on the Boxxer ARF. I thought I was finally about finished with the plane and ready for the maiden flight until I checked the CG. I've got the plane setup with an OS70 surpass for power mounted as far back in the engine slot as possible, the RX pack as far back in the bottom wing as possible and Hitec 425BB servos all around but the plane is way nose heavy. So I pulled the stock tank off and am replacing it with a 6oz Sullivan to save what ever I can and I'm replacing the standard servo on the throttle with a HS81 again to save a little. The problem is even with the tank and throttle servo removed, it still balances with the nose tipped down a little.

How do you guys have your CG set for 3D and crazy tumbling on this plane? Is a little nose heavy the preferred way to fly this plane?

matchlessaero 07-06-2007 10:39 PM

RTN, stick to the CG in the instructions and you'll be fine. Should be around 1" to 3/4" in front of the trailing edge of the top wing at the centerline. A little forward of that won't hurt it greatly, but it will make some 3D maneuvers a bit more difficult.

The airplane was definitely designed with the smaller throttle servo (not a standard size) in mind. It was also designed for typically lighter motors than an OS, so that might be a bit of your problem. If you have a spinner on the airplane, ditch it. You may also want to try a wood prop such as a Xoar or a Pro Zinger to lighten the nose a bit.

TailTwister 07-07-2007 06:13 AM

Before you beat yourself up about the CG, fly it.

I moved my CG up and down the wing a few times now, and the Boxxer is simply not real picky about CG. Yes, it will have an effect, but not as much as you might think.

Go fly it!

rtn9105 07-07-2007 05:30 PM

Well there's been a steady 18mph wind all day but I couldn't wait any longer so I went ahead and put the maiden flight on the boxxer this afternoon. Considering the wind, the plane flew pretty darn good but I think it will be even better in a little less wind. This is the first Biplane I've ever flown and I can tell it's going to be allot of fun.

TailTwister 07-07-2007 06:55 PM

SWEET!

When you have a decent day, post a flight report.

AFSalmon 07-09-2007 07:57 AM

Bipes definately fly different than monos but they sure have that cool look you just don't get with the monos. Once you get used to the flying characteristics of the bipes you'll really love it.