RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Building a QHOR, PQHOR, and a SPA3D (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/610195-building-qhor-pqhor-spa3d.html)

ben flyn 03-09-2003 02:53 AM

Building a QHOR, PQHOR, and a SPA3D

Here's mine with a Saito 56 4 stroke at 4lbs. Will fly it tomorrow. 40" wing span and 42" long fuse.

PaulSwany 03-09-2003 03:10 AM

Here's Mine

1 Attachment(s)
Flew it last night and today.... I love it!! Touched the tail on the first flight!! Jack is going to post some hovering shots he took from today...

ben flyn 03-09-2003 03:16 AM

Paul,
What plane does it fly like?

Dennis Tampa FL 03-09-2003 03:30 AM

PLANS FOR THIS PLANE WHERE CAN I GET?

Where can I get Plans to build these?

Thanks, Dennis

N_Pinker 03-09-2003 04:26 AM

Plans for the Qhor here http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Qhor/

PaulSwany 03-09-2003 03:47 PM

Fly like a pizza box... but more stable!!! I love it.. I need to do something to give it more axial roll.. but so far it's a blast!!

PaulSwany 03-09-2003 03:47 PM

Flys like a pizza box... but more stable!!! I love it.. I need to do something to give it more axial roll.. but so far it's a blast!!

ben flyn 03-09-2003 09:20 PM

I put 3 " ( with no taper) ailerons, 3 3/4" elevator and put some dihedral in the bottom of the wing and made the wing 1 3/4" thick. I kind of modeled it like the Magic. I couldn't fly it today because of gusty winds. I CAN'T WAIT TO FLY IT!

Tattoo 03-09-2003 11:07 PM

Got out in the wind and cold today and got a couple flight in on the 40 sized QHOR...man what a blast! I did learn today that these planes DO NOT like to be nose heavy and dead stick. The QHOR40 balanced perfectly on the spar fold, but on the first flight, the engine died with a full tank of fuel. The weight of the fuel gave it a slightly nose heavy balance...and the glide slope was like a brick doing a harrier. The next flight I flew until out of fuel, and she glided beautifully and flaired to a nice 3 pointer. Big difference!

http://members.cox.net/spad/pics/qhorfly3.jpg
http://members.cox.net/spad/pics/qhorfly2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/spad/pics/qhorfly1.jpg

m.gramling 03-09-2003 11:39 PM

Paul,
what size did you built, did you modify it from the orignal plans. I think I am going to build me one of these. I have a 40FP, TT46, and a spare radio laying around.

Since this thing is supposed to hover like a pizza box. Can somebody give me their opinions w/ a 40FP and moosecan. that combo will hover a heavy 3lb pbf with ease. So what is everybody QHo's weight coming it at. I plan on using standard radio gear, with 600mh Nicad battery.

PaulSwany 03-10-2003 04:29 PM

I hovers like a pbf.. but it goes verticle a little easier... doesn't flop on it's back as easy.... I build the standard version... made mine a little more tail heavy... about 1" back from the fold... I used a TT 36 on mine... I think a 40 fp with a mousse can would rock!!

I'd also give it some more aileron...

Texas 3D 03-10-2003 05:22 PM

well, will we see it in Houston Paul ?

PaulSwany 03-10-2003 05:38 PM

Yup... I'll bring it... Jack has some hovering pics of it.... Hopefully he'll post 'em soon.

PaulSwany 03-10-2003 07:13 PM

harrier

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a harrier shot of my qhor

FrankC29 03-10-2003 11:28 PM

Paul, did moving the cg back an inch improve the glide and land? I love my Q, but it seems it HAS to land harrier style, and deadsticks arent much fun. It's the only thing about this wonderful design that I'd like to improve. Well, a better roll rate would be nice too, but I guess I'm too used to the lightning roll rates the regular spads have.

PaulSwany 03-11-2003 12:53 AM

Still glides like a brick... I never flamed out... but I had to keep power up to maintain the harrier... I did some touch and goes... Was pretty fun with only a single wheel up front...

AeroDave 03-11-2003 04:46 PM

Ahhhh!!!!!!!!! I feel so out of the loop! (pardon the pun) I must build this plane! Forgive the dumb Q, but what is the wing made out of?

FrankC29 03-11-2003 04:57 PM

Corroplast. Plastic Cardboard. It's the stuff used to build Spads.

www.spadtothebone.com

You'll find the plans in the "Spad Originals" section. If you like slow, close in harrier style flight, and the ability to hover and tumble even if you don't know how :D , this is the plane for you

ben flyn 03-11-2003 04:58 PM

Coro plast. Designed by the best spaders around Mr (I use it losely) Spadtobone Tattoo!

BTW Tattoo, great article in the R/C report (it was funny too). Do you really have that good sense of humor?

Tattoo 03-11-2003 05:36 PM

It was Frank29 who wrote the article...and Gordon Banks added some of the humor!!! It had me rolling on the floor!!!:D

Matt Kirsch 03-11-2003 05:42 PM

Odd. My QHOR flies like a pattern plane. It's not 3D at all. Maybe it's the skis.

One thing I've noticed is that there's a lot of flex in the fuselage, and I think it's causing my engine RPM to fluctuate when the plane's vertical.

I've got a chunk out of my middle finger because the engine was jumping all over the place due to fuselage flex.

Tattoo 03-11-2003 08:12 PM

How long is your fuselage? I haven't had any flex issues at 32" at all. I've got one rail plane that has a 48" fuselage...now that baby has some flex!...But doesn't effect flight performance at all! Gets some looks though...when the wing rolls...and the tail lags behind and then has to catch up:D

ben flyn 03-11-2003 10:49 PM

mkirsch
I have my landing gear mounted to my engine mount and I have no flex on the ground from a Saito 56 swinging a 12/5 prop. My fuse is 42" long but it does have flex; I haven't flown it let, will let you know sometime if it affects the flight. If it's to bad I have a piece of square 1" X 1" X 1/16" alum. tubing Im going to install with holes drilled in it to lighten it. BTW, this square tubing weighs less per foot than the PVC downspout tubing.

ben flyn 03-13-2003 01:09 AM

It crashed!

My new QHOR (the first pic on this thread) on it's maiden flight crashed! It took off OK, boy it sure took allot of elevator. Then it seem very sluggish, and tail heavy, so I turned it in for final approach this time with full rates the elevator stick almost all the way down, half throttle, then I gave it a little rudder to help the turn. Then it happen, wham!, right in to the ground! All it did was break my motor mount and the back plate that connects the carb on my Saito. I think why it did this was I had too much wing thickness in the fold, about 2", This did two things I made it sluggish, too much drag, and two, it prevented enough air to travel of the control surfaces ( little elevator). Finally I believe it was too tail heavy I had the CG about 1" back and I think it didn't help. What do you think? I'm also going to shorten the fuse length to get the tail surfaces closer to the prop.

Tattoo 03-13-2003 11:35 AM

Definately flatten the wing! Single fold airfoils need to be flat enough to keep the air flow from burbling past the fold.