RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Why you love the OMP Fusion? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/6231212-why-you-love-omp-fusion.html)

daveopam 08-18-2008 06:09 PM

RE: Why you love the OMP Fusion?

When you set up your expo try this. Find a good comfortable place to fly your plane on low rates. See how much deflection each surface has with 1/3 of the stick movement. Now go to your high rates. Set the expo so at 1/3 stick movement your high and low rate have the same movement. This way the plane will fly the same on high rate as long as your stick movement is 1/3 of the total. I am a thumb flyer and use a lot of stick. If your a pinch flyer maybe 1/4 of the stick throw is enough. This is how I set all of mine up. This is also why a rarely use low rates.

david

Gringo Flyer 08-20-2008 12:20 PM

Does the Fusion come with wheel pants? I have seen lots of fusion pics with wheel pants. My kit didn't come with them.

daveopam 08-20-2008 05:35 PM

No it doesn't. OMP sells some nice ones though.

David

MIXMASTER 09-25-2008 10:58 AM

OS 1.08 should be OK, I had OS 1.20AX, wonderful combo, by far the best flying glow plane I have. ( over 20 yrs flying). @ 7.25 lbs, my thrust/weight was close to a good 50cc class gasser. This plane is deceiving, it needs strong MG servos for ailerons, 5625's were a bit wimpy for this plane.

Deathbunny_SG 09-25-2008 12:23 PM

5625s are wimpy for a 90 sized model? I have been using these on my ailerons and elev for a 25% wildhare edge 540 and recently a different 25% model. I have been plaining on moving them into either the 80" fusion or 80" edge arfs when they get released next month since droping down to the 90 size would require me to get a diff engine as my os 1.6 would be to big. I knew they where gonna be marginal on the 80" but at 6.6 volts I was hoping they will be enough. I was assuming they would be overkill on the 90 size. What volts were you running them at?

Edit

Im not trying to argue about how much the fusion needs as I really dont know. Im just trying to figure out what one will be the best fit for the equipment I already have. If I drop down to a 90 size I will need a different engine. Its looking like I would either need to grab a smaller engine and drop down to 67" or maybe get bigger servos for the 80" but I would really like to be able to use my current gear in a 80" if its suficient. Thoughts?

4 hs-5625mg
1 hs-5985mg
Os 1.6 currently with bisson pitts muffler

daveopam 09-25-2008 01:50 PM

I switched my aile servos to FU3305s I run a 6V pack so I should be in the 130oz range. The plane is much more responsive. The servo I was using were plastic gear 75oz servos. The difference is night/day.

David

Deathbunny_SG 09-25-2008 02:42 PM

The 5625s are metal gear with 130 oz at 6 volts @ 6.6 volts they should be at least 140 oz.

MIXMASTER 09-26-2008 02:48 PM

Rolling Harriers were wimpy slow, I cranked up the throw to max which helped a little, but I think this plane needs more on ailerons. Mute point for me at the time being, its broken in half, needs some glue & lite-ply/balsa.

ARTP47 09-26-2008 05:52 PM

anybody know when the 67 inch Fusions will be ready for sales.

AFSalmon 09-30-2008 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: ARTP47

anybody know when the 67 inch Fusions will be ready for sales.
I'll be doing a kit run here this month. Should be ready by late Oct. New ARFs are on the list for next Spring if all goes well.

daveopam 10-01-2008 06:12 PM

Put me down for a 67" kit. The way I fly my ARF it wont last forever and not having one in my fleet is not an option . Can you post on RCU or email when they become available?

David

AFSalmon 10-02-2008 11:23 AM

Sure will Dave.

ARTP47 10-02-2008 07:47 PM

Me to. Just cant be with out a OMP for a extended period of time.

MIXMASTER 10-10-2008 11:28 AM

I have 2 wonderful flying 50cc gassers but still miss my Fusion, I will fix it soon, I wait a while for the "heart break" to pass. It did the most amazing slow HA KE and I've been able to hover this thing for 5 minutes, steering it around right off the deck, its that good!!

wgdenge 12-12-2009 06:37 PM

Has anyone flown this with a OS 120 Surpass III w/pump? I have a brand-new engine in box.

wayne

Spacey 12-13-2009 01:00 AM

I dunno about the OS on a Fusion hey? It doesn't have alot of grunt, perfect motor otherwise but the power is just not that great.

AFSalmon 12-13-2009 09:55 AM

OS 120AX is the ticket! Love mine with a Xoar 17-6 prop! Sick power!

wgdenge 12-13-2009 11:24 AM

Bummer, I thought the 120SurpassIII w/pump had about the same HP rating as the Saito 125

Saito 125 = 2.2 hp 10,000 rpm
OS 120 = 2.1 hp 12,000 rpm

OS is pumped so no worries about fuel foaming.

IscarRep 12-14-2009 07:28 PM

I have an OS 120 pumped.Strong motor but definitley not good for your application.Good sport motor but not good for 3d.Too much needless weight.I personally have a healthy Super Tigre 90 on my Fusion and it flys great and lands like a butterfly with sore feet.Save the OS for a nice sport plane.

Gringo Flyer 12-15-2009 07:37 PM

The saito 125 has more power than the OS and is lighter and thats why the OS isnt a good match.

I have flown a saito 125 and a st 90 with a pipe on my fusion. I know lots of people think the saito is the perfect match but I really like the way the ST 90 flies the plane.

skyhawk73 12-15-2009 09:59 PM

I too love my OMP Fusion with the Saito 125, after I get it started.
According to hopups received here, I filled the nose with gorilla glue. Good thing because
the high compression of the Saito 125 really twists the nose when I use the electric starter.

I was finally successful when I asked a friend to attach the glowbie while the starter was spinning the spinner.
I really didn't like the technique but after it started, it was a blast to fly.

It seemed that a normal start-up (with the glowbie attached prior to spinning) the compression was greater
than spinning without the glowbie attached.

I have 100 flights on this Fusion with Saito 125 but if I were to do it again, I'd use a two stroke like the 120AX.

Fingernail polish kept the stripes solid for about 20 flights. Now, I'm just adding tape when the stripes start
trailing.

wind junkie 12-16-2009 11:50 AM

I think I'll always like the sound of a 4S better, but more vibration is the price. My Saito 125 sure is sweet on mine. It likes the tetra tank I bought from Centrl Hobby. (bladder, no issues with bubbles and much easier to fill/service than the Jett bubbleless tanks).

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/fueltnk2.html

Plenty of control for 3D on the deck, yet Smooth as silk in the air when you want to do "BIG PATTERN" ballet. She's still my best girl.

I believe the newer Fusions don't use Chinacote, so the trim pieces should not peel anywhere near as fast as the originals. I keep applying dope and ironing mine, but she sure is getting ragged on the edges. She wears those wrinkles with pride :D

skyhawk73 12-16-2009 12:08 PM

Dang, I been using the Jett tanks with the "fueler". Wish I had known bout the Tetra. Always wondered if the Jett bladder was being abused
and leaking inside it's can. Cross my fingers every flight. However with 100 flights, somethin is goin right with the Jett Bladder.

Since using the 4S Saito 125, I gotta use a bubless tank which is the primary reason I'd go 2S next time and eliminate the need for a bladder tank.

The sound and smoke of a 4S has "cool factor" but I'm into utility flyin rather than show. However, I do add streamers sometimes.

wind junkie 12-16-2009 12:26 PM

The Jett Tanks are lighter and simpler and if you don't mind using the "horse pumper" fueler they work fine when not abused.

I must have gone through 4 or 5 of them before saying enough is enough. I don't know exactly what was wrong with my filling technique. A friend uses a standard slimline pump when filling his (he doesn't even turn his off when fully fueled!) and his is still going strong after 2 years of use on a single tank.

I actually did get a small slit on my Tetra tank bladder where it rubbed on a sharp corner inside the neck of the tank. I was able to smear a small patch on the ouside of the bladder using 3M's marine adhesive (like Goop) and it's holding after a few sessions so far. No snow flying for my Fusion so I'll have to see how it continues the bladder tank saga into the Spring.

I use only 30% nitro on my Saitos so that tends to be pretty hard on things, but we'll see.

AFSalmon 12-16-2009 12:47 PM

Yes, all current Fusions have Ultracoat as well as a stonger nose and engine mount area for the newer more powerful engine options. Have not heard any complaints on the latest Fusions.