RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   here's my Flying Machine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/93604-heres-my-flying-machine.html)

bugsiegel 04-02-2002 09:12 AM

here's my Flying Machine

1 Attachment(s)
I've got about 4 flights on it. Since then I have changed the wheels to the profile wheels I had in the junk box. I can't imagine how much drag comes from a standard set of 2 inch wheels but I had these yellow profile wheels just laying around. I also got my hands on a complete and new set of H9 Aresti landing gear and pants. They are a nice looking but I rememberd I had the yellow wheels and decided on them instead. If I get tired of all the yellow, I'll mount the Aresti pants and sloped back landing gear.
This is a funny plane. It has so much tail athority it's almost scary. It snaps so fast. I mounted my Rossi 45 and propped it with a 9/7 so we're moving pretty fast. to ballance this plane I had to put my 1200mah back behind the wing inside the fuse. I glued it in.

PaulSwany 04-02-2002 02:34 PM

here's my Flying Machine

Wow... That plane looks awesome Bugs!! How much did it weigh? Did you build it from a kit or scratch it? What did the wing loading come out to....?

bugsiegel 04-04-2002 04:51 PM

just got my weight scale back from a friend

The fuse less the wing and the canopy is 3lb 10oz
the wing and canopy are 1lb 5oz
The length of the wing 44 inches and the cord is 10 inches.
So 440 sq inches and 79 total oz.
comes to 5.56oz per square inch. ( is that right)
is that good? I have never looked at a plane in that manor.
It lands easy though.

Shortman 04-04-2002 04:55 PM

here's my Flying Machine

thats really cool plane, so i take it you scratch built it...

PaulSwany 04-04-2002 04:57 PM

here's my Flying Machine

Wing loading is normally expressed in terms of ounces per square foot... Here's what I get...

Wing area = 440 sq. in. = 3.06 sq ft.
Weight = 4 lbs 15 oz = 79 oz.
Wing Load = 79/3.06 = 25.82 oz per sq ft.

Most fun flys are in the 12 - 16 oz per sq ft. range...

The Menace is even less... I think around 9 - 10 oz per sq. ft.

bugsiegel 04-04-2002 05:11 PM

not scratched

forgot to say, I read a thread about this plane a while back and it was all hyped up. but there was alot of input from different people saying the had seen the plane being flown by the designer (Don Muderman i Think, If you need to know i can check the plans.) who would put on a show for the croud way back when he was flying it. Many people had also mentioned that they at one time or another owned one and all said nice things about it. Somewhere it the thread there was a hobby shop reproducing the kit with a foam wing. So i ordered one. I have a shed with mostly funfly planes so once in while it's nice to get out a plane that likes to go fast.
It was kind of pricy but like I always say,,,, this hobby is all about the things we want not the things we need.
I may change the color of the canopy though, maybe to black or something what do you think? Or maybe put on some black monocote to simulate a window.

PaulSwany 04-04-2002 05:14 PM

here's my Flying Machine

I think the black monocote to simulate a canopy would be awesome... I really like the red checker board against the yellow.... You could even do chrome for the canopy... That would be cool...

My hanger is sorta filled up with fun fly's too.... (and fun fly kits!!) I'm still having a ton of fun with them... But I'll be ready for a change soon.

Dave McDonald 04-10-2002 12:32 AM

Another Flying Machine photo...

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a photo of my dearly departed Flying Machine. :(

You can read more about it at:
http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/flyingmachine.htm

miderror 04-10-2002 12:10 PM

Flying Machine Demo @ TG

1 Attachment(s)
I'll be running some kits down to Don Muddiman this afternoon
as he will be doing his Demo at Top Gun. Always fun to watch.
Glade to see you guys having fun with the FM.
Sorry yours is gone Dave.
Don

Vref 09-24-2002 04:48 PM

flying machine

I am about to try my first scratch project with my old Flying Machine plans. Are these kits still available any where? I'd like to build the larger 60 size. Any body out there know?
CM

CrAzYfLyEr-RCU 09-25-2002 12:16 AM

here's my Flying Machine

WOW....how old is that pic of Muddiman?.....he's all grey now..lol...no offense Don if ya read this...Don does his practicing at our feild and its truely a pleasure to watch him throw that thing around.....kinda hard to keep up with all the flips,tumbles,spins,snaps...etc

CHM 09-25-2002 01:32 PM

here's my Flying Machine

I'll be starting my 40 size FM this winter. It's an awesome plane. I saw Don fly at Ida Grove.

Muddiman 04-14-2006 11:14 AM

RE: here's my Flying Machine

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

Here is my just built Flying Machine ready for Top Gun the last weekend of this month. This is the second one I have built in two weeks and not because I wanted two setup and ready to fly. On my ninth flight on the first Flying Machine I had midair with the only other person in the air. (What's the odds? OUCH!) Anyway I thought I would share some images with all you Flying Machines fans.

Keep'em Flying,

Don Muddiman
www.eagle-i.us

Bolio 04-14-2006 07:37 PM

Hi Don. I remember watching your demos in a Top Gun video a few years ago. You got skillz for sure.
Where can I get one of this planes?? Or plans??
Good to see that you're still at the show.
Saludos.

Dave McDonald 04-14-2006 11:54 PM

Don,
I'm glad to hear that you're still thrilling the crowds with your Flying Machine! :D

You've always been an inspiration to me ever since watching you put the Flying Machine through it's paces way back in the 80's at Ida Grove. And I can't thank you enough for steering me into extremely aerobatic airplanes!

So what's the latest engine/pipe/prop setup for your Flying Machines? The engine looks like an OS 46 AX, but with a different carb. The prop looks like a Master Airscrew, and the header and pipe look like Macs.

nytprowler 04-17-2006 03:38 AM

Talk about coincidence, I just PM'd Dave (McDDD over on the ProBro site) yesterday about his Flying Machine.

Don,
I remember quite fondly watching you flying the FM in Ida Grove at the Byron's shows. IIRC, I remember you having some fun with the BVM ducted fans on a few occasions ;)
I was a kid, just learning back then, and my dad was flying (more than a few) Flying Machines. I've got his plans now, that he bought from you way back when. It's then next project on the building board, in fact. The plans have seen better days, I'd like a fresh set if you can tell me where to get them.

Do you happen to remember the details on the covering scheme you used with the Cloud Dancers era Flying Machines, if I might ask? Black, with those multi-colored wings are the only thing that looks "right" on this plane to me. I can only hope to someday be able to wring it out the way you do. :)

Jason

nytprowler 04-17-2006 03:42 AM

The pic of Don and the FM is from Ida Grove, IA... back in the late 80's early 90's. I'd guess around 1990 or so by the color scheme on the plane.

The background is a dead give-away. One heck of a setup they used to have up there.

Jason

Muddiman 04-18-2006 10:34 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments!
During my eighteen years of the show team demos I never thought of how much of an impression the Cloud Dancers Air Show Team would leave on an individual, especially kids. As age has caught up with me and reading the comments I now realized how important to me it had been to provide a positive influence. I am glad to of had that honor and can hopefully can continue to. I have lots of images and video of the show team years ago and plan to host a web page on the Cloud Dancers Air Show Team and Flying Machine sometime in the future. We were a close net group that enjoyed many years of just having fun.
Some of you may or may not know in 2002 was diagnostic with a benign brain tumor called an Acoustic Neuroma. I started having dizzy spells, fatigue and headaches for days at a time which finally left me not being able to participate in the things I enjoyed. It has now been twenty two months since my first of twenty eight radiation treatments; I am feeling great and will hopefully continue on this path for many years to come.
This is a funny story about how roomers can get out of hand when you suddenly drop out of the hobby and one hears of possible grave medical problems. Many months ago a friend sent me an email with a link of a Flying Machine for sale on eBay. The seller said it was designed by the late Don Muddiman; my first thought was to laugh and say to myself no body told me! I could not resist sending the seller an email I was above ground and still flying. I never received a response but he did change the eBay ad. I guess I killed his high bid hopes, oh well.

Dave, it’s too good to hear from you again. The only thing that has change in my setup is the change to the OS MAX .46AX engine. I installed the 4D carb because of fuel starvation problems during high G’s and needle valve location. Pipe length, prop and fuel system is all the original setup. The power performance from this .46AX engine is awesome as compared to the .40FS.

Jason, yep I too remember the days of tantalizing the BVM ducted fans, I just could not resist. The Byron days were the best!
There were two schemes of the multi colored markings, one out lined as a fire bird and the other was a full feather design covering the wing. Tom Veloskey senior is responsible for the art work design and covering of the Flying Machines during our show team years. I have images of both designs and his layout of the monokote colors he used on the bird scheme. Tom’s secret to producing so many shades of monokote was to overlay transparent colors on top base colors. As I think back I am amazed on how many hours Tom spent covering all the show team aircraft for the eighteen years we were together. Thanks Tom!

Jose the Flying Machine is no longer is production. This has been contributed to many reasons; market saturation with ARF’s, 3D aircraft and mostly competitive cost of producing the kit. I no longer have the desire or time to produce the kits myself, but I can provide plans and instructions (built up wing) for those who desire them.

Don Muddiman
www.eagle-i.us

Dave McDonald 04-18-2006 09:46 PM

Don,
I'm sorry to hear about your brain tumor, but I'm glad to hear that everything is working out well, and you are still able to enjoy living life to the fullest. [8D]

On one hand, I'm sorry to hear that the Flying Machine kits have been discontinued. [:o]
But if that means that Flying Machine plans will once again be available, then that's great news! :D

Back when I was running the old OS 40 FSR on my Flying Machine I used a Macs 6.5cc pipe and an APC 9x7 prop. I see you are running a Master Airscrew prop.
What size prop is it?

And did you really stay with the 6.5cc pipe for the OS 46 AX? Or did you move up to a 7.5cc pipe?

Between you and Jason , the urge to get another Flying Machine going is getting stronger. If I do......one thing is for sure......it will NOT be covered in Black Baron Film this time! ;)

Bolio 04-18-2006 10:50 PM

Glad to hear that your'e recovering well from the tumor. A friend of mine has contact me to send a copy of the flying machine plans.
For sure I will like to have an original plan set!!
I remember watching your flight's video time after time trying to figure out how to replicate those marvelous manouvers you made with the FM.
You were one of the first pilots that I watched to hover a plane. Awesome!!
Let me know the cost of the plan and shipping to Mexico.
Saludos.

Dave McDonald 04-18-2006 11:25 PM

Don,
Since you resurrected this ancient thread, have you noticed that the three of us who replied are all ProBros? (Bolio, Nytprowler, and myself)

You may not realize it yet, but with your flying skills and obvious attraction to extreme aerobatics, you would blend right in with the rest of the ProBros.......who would probably be attracted to an airplane like the Flying Machine.

I can see it now......."Paul Swanson Models presents the Flying Machine ARF!" :D:D:D
Hey, sign me up!!!

Bolio 04-19-2006 11:47 AM

Dave you just steal my next post, I was about to invite him to join the ProBros, and maybe Billy Hell may kit the Flying Machine.;)

Don: Please go www.the******************.com and join, I bet you will receive a warm welcome
Saludos.

scratchpc7 04-20-2006 12:53 PM

Don,

it is good to see you back into flying and glad that you are feeling better. The plane looks awesome. If plans are available once again I would be up for a set.

I saw you fly at Jet Over Deland in 1991; the same year I got the kit from a hobby shop in Orlando. I was amazed at the flight that you put on. Last time I tried to watch the video that I took from 1991 the video was all messed up and I could not watch it.

I finished mine last year, but have had very little time to get out. The last time I flew it the lateral balance was way off because I added a pipe. It would sort of roll out of loops (not tight ones, just any loop). I have not rebalanced it or removed the pipe yet, but I will get that done in the near future as weather in KC is once again getting about right for flying.

McDDD,

Sorry to spoil the trend of all Pro Bros posting in this thread. Once I get four or five other project off of the bench I will probably go with a Burrito or Mojo. Then I too could join the Pro Bros ;) , right after I join the Speak Freaks. :D

Doug

Muddiman 04-20-2006 01:36 PM

Hey Dave,

My setup has always been a Mac 7.5cc unmuffled aircraft tuned pipe and a 9x6 Master Airscrew. The 7.5cc pipe has worked well for the .40 - .46 OS Max engines cut at a length of 10 1/2” in a straight line from the center of the glow to the center of the pipe apex. I have found the same 9x6 APC props seems to be pitched a little more giving a better top speed but loads the engine up more then desired when doing high G maneuvers using a .40 engine. For a stock engine and cost the OS MAX .46AX engine I am currently using is a great selection for the Flying Machine. With this new engine I need to start playing with props again to find the optimum setup. The fuel consumption of the .46 is much higher then the .40 and I have noticed the engine leaning out slightly during High G maneuvers. I am going to try a Tettra bubble less fuel tank next week. This should cure the problem. I could even go for a Flying Machine ARF! Right now it takes about 40 – 50 hours from the start to flight ready. I’ll check out the Pro Bros, a lot is new to me since I dropped out of the hobby for awhile.

Jose, I’ll get the cost of the plans and instructions together as soon as I can. It’s been a while since I have had plans printed and I have no idea of today’s printing cost.

Doug thanks for the comments! I have to say I have never done a lateral balance on any of the Flying Machines I have ever built. They all have had tiny flight differences but nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing I can think of that may cause your problem is the tuned pipe is not in line (parallel) with the fuselage.

Keep’em Flying,

Don
www.eagle-i.us

Bolio 04-20-2006 01:54 PM

Doug: You can join without having a profile, is more about attitude than planes, if you fly hard with a Flying Machine then you are a Bro in the closet[>:];)
Join the fun.

Don, PM me when you have the cost. I have a MVVS 49 that will fit a FM like a glove.
Saludos.