Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
Reload this Page >

Marine TC-W3 Outboard Oil

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

Marine TC-W3 Outboard Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 07:27 PM
B777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine TC-W3 Outboard Oil

We are getting many inquiries concerning the replacement of turbo oil with high grade 2-stroke marine oil. PST does not recommend the use of such oil in our turbines. TC-W3 oil may be less hazard than turbo oil and seems to run find with turbines. This is only temporary. The draw back is the deposit it leaves behind in the combustion chamber causing inconsistance ignition and heat distribution. Turbine operating life will be reduced trumendously thus voiding the warranty. Just by observing the combustion chamber, we can tell right away if 2-stroke oil has been used.

Regards,
PST Jets
Old 09-11-2005, 08:24 AM
mack845

Default RE: Marine TC-W3 Outboard Oil

The GTBA in the UK has for sometime now been telling its members not to use TC-W3 spec oil due to the build up in carbon deposits caused by some makes of oil.
We now recommend the use of Mobil DTE Light turbine oil as used in compressors. The down side is that you will need to have some friends club together to purchase the oil as it is only sold in 20ltr containers.
Norman Mackenzie (GTBA treasurer)
Old 09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
B777

Norman, thank you for the information.

Kraivuth S.
B777
Old 01-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Capt. Crash
My Feedback: (1)

New to Turbine Engines myself. Just getting ready to fire up two PST J1300R for our SR-71 project. The question I have is this ? It's hard finding some Turbine Oils in my area, so I am wondering if someone can tell meOther types that can be used.

I know of (3) types. (1). Exxon/Mobil 2380 Jet Oil, (2). BP Turbine Oil 2380, & (3). Aeroshell 500

If there are a few more I would like to know so I can start checking with some local airports to see if they may carry them. I don't get on the site much as I work 2 jobs to support my hobby/habit, so if someone could email me that would be great at - [email protected] I would really appreciate the help.

Looking forward to getting into Turbine Powered Jets.

Thank You in advance.
Bill AKA Capt. Crash
Old 01-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For jet pilots in remote areas of the US where these types of oil are less common, some use http://www.oil-store.com/

You'll find that Aeroshell 500 goes for $8.29 each, or 24 quarts for $168.09. BP 2380 is also available for $9.09 each, or 24 quarts for $194.79. Personally, I use BP 2380.

My own experiences with oil-store are a little mixed though. The price was less than 1/2 what I could purchase the oil for at my local airport, but a few of the cans were dented due to the less than top-notch packaging job. Plenty of others have had more positive results so I'm betting I got a new guy in the shipping dept, or just a shot of bad luck... I'd still use them again so long as the price differential still justified it.

Good luck with your Blackbird!
Kelly
Old 01-29-2006, 03:25 AM
Capt. Crash
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info. Kelly, I'll give them a try.

Bill