Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
Reload this Page >

Need Help for Senior Design Project.

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

Need Help for Senior Design Project.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Skarabb-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help for Senior Design Project.

I was wondering what size turbine, thrust output, would be needed to fly a 20 lb airplane. Also, how heavy of a plane will a 13lb thrust turbine fly? Thank you for all your help.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:26 PM
swansons
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Need Help for Senior Design Project.

The PST J600R will fly the 20# plane just fine. A 13# turbine might be a bit marginal.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:14 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

It all depends on the aeroplane. A small amount of thrust can fly a large and heavy glider, but would not fly an F-104 of similar weight. So there is no equation that says 13lbs of thrust can fly a plane of X weight. The amount of thrust required to maintain level flight at a particular speed is weight divided by the lift/drag ratio. So a glider of weight 30pounds with a l/d ratio of 30:1 at 20knots needs 1pound of thrust to maintain level flight at 20 knots. But an F-104 weighing 30pounds with an l/d ratio of 3:1 at 80knots needs 10lbs of thrust to maintain level flight at 80knots. Both weigh the same but have totally different thrust requirements for level flight.

I have a Sabre that weighs just over 22 pounds at take off, powered by a J600 of 12lbs thrust but possibly losing a lot of thrust in the jet pipe, and it performs very well.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:47 PM
B777

We are flying F9F Panther at takeoff weight of 26 lbs...that's 1:2 thrust to weight ratio. I would go with 1:1.5 ratio for sleeker jets like F-18 and F-20. We need to know which airframe you plan to put the J600R into.

Cheers,
Kraivuth S.
PST Jets