Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
Reload this Page >

J600R start solved!

Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

J600R start solved!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J600R start solved!

Hi Kelly,
Regarding our conversation about the progressively harder to start J600R: I did come up with the solution! It has nothing to do with the engine internally at all, by the way! It was the glow plug connector cap that had gotten a tad corroded inside. I cleaned it out with a dowel and some fine grit paper and Voila the engine started as if it was new again! I hit on this AFTER disassembling the case to check the gas injector and of course everything was fine in there. I tested it and the gas was coming out of the tube right where it should be...so it had to be ignition. The plug wire was a tad sooty, but it light right up with a nistarter, so it had to be the ECU or the wiring. I tested the plug at 180 and no glow, though the display did show a good plug. That is not a feedback loop test though, merely a continuity test, so it is not indicative of a poorly light plug, only a broken one. I stepped it up to 200, no light, then to 220 and it was barrely glowing, then to 240 and finally to 260 where it glowed as it did on the nistarter. This meant there was a severe resistance somewhere in the wiring...FLASH: an old issue with the older DuBro Nistarters came to mind where the brass battery contact would corrode slightly over time and it was enough to lower the glow signifigantly after a few glow starts! I began checking the wiring and ended up at the cap!

Thanks for all your help man!
Len
Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: J600R start solved!

Thanks Len, but you did all the hard work! Don't think I deserve any credit here...

I should also apologise for being so out of touch with my email replies lately. I still have no PC......... (@*$#!@#$^!&*@$) [&o]

To other customers:
I should clarify something here. Most cases I don't ask people to pull the can, unless I know them and know what their working history is with turbines. Please do not take this as an invitation to open your engine up at the slightest sign of trouble, or at all for that matter. Any damage created in doing so is normally traceable, and obviously not covered under warranty...

Kelly
Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: J600R start solved!

OOPS sorry Kelly, I should have mentioned that my engine is WAY out of warranty and has been a superb engine. It was just the test of time and humidity that got to the glow plug cap contacts! Anyway it is most certainly NOT advisable to open up any engine that is still under warranty as that instantly voids any rights to warranty. As you said, I do have quite a lot of experience with these engines though not the PST line, but they are all pretty much built so that my limited expertise can carry me through an inspection. I will add that had I found anything amiss from that inspection I would have had you, or the Thailand factory at your discretion, do the repairs. Of course the repair bill would have been at my sole cost, and I was aware of that before I opened the engine. The moral here is that there was no reason at all to even contemplate opening up the engine, but for some idiotic reason I always do the it the hard way first, never suspecting anything simple to be at the root of the problem!!! My bad...

Len

P.S. they actually do have stores that will sell you a working computer