Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
Reload this Page >

PST 600 R Problem

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

PST 600 R Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PST 600 R Problem

Hi Kraiuth.

I have a PST 600R installed in a BVM Balsa bandit. I purchased it from Rene of Galtech NZ. The engine is over 3 years old, but is not used that frequently, it has some 10 hours runtime. Up untill now, it has been performing faultlessly, and pushes my 21 lb bandit around like a much bigger engine.

However, this weekend it developed a problem. When ramping up from idle, it "coughed" with a loud bang, and flamed out the exhaust. This happened twice.

The first time was on the ground while doing a ground check from idell to full throttle. It happened as it was acceraring past 80,000 rpm.. After it went bang the exhaust note changed and I shut down the motor for safety. After it cooled we checked everthing over, found no obvious faults. We restarted, and it operated correctly, so we went flying.

On the second flight after this, I was on finals for landing when I opened the throttle from idle, (as I was a little short), when it happened again). I shut it down immediatly as I could see flame out the exhaust.

There is no obvious fault with the engine, it turns freely and the pump seems to be ok. The air temp was about 20C, and we would be close to sea level.

Can you help with any suggestions to help diagnose this problem, or should it be returned for service.

Thanks in advance.

Roger P

Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
B777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PST 600 R Problem

Hi Roger,

After long storage and new installation, calibration may be required. Have you ever calibrate this turbine's ecu? Calibration or "Auto Set Full Speed" can be done thru the GDT's 3rd menu page while the engine is running. Slowly advance the throttle to 30-40% then do the calibration. The engine will accelerate to max rpm then back down to the throttle setting. This process will match the TEMS ecu ramping program and the fuel pump output.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
roger.alli

Thanks Kraivuth,

To be honest, the last time that I calibrated this engine was over 1 year ago. The only real change in that time has been a new reciever when I converted to 2.4ghz.)

I know you (PST) reccomend the engine is calibrated on a regular basis, however, as it has been performing so well for the last 3 years, I have never bothered with doing it regularly.

I will do this calibration check, and then do some more ground running to ensure all is good...And, make the calibration check a routine before the first flight of the day...

I am glad you consider it might just be a slight fueling issue, as this engine is otherwise very reliable. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Roger P

Old 07-19-2009, 06:23 PM
roger.alli

Hi Kraiuth.

Just to let you know, my 600R is now operating correctly again. .

I simply did a calibration run, and the problem has gone away. For good measure I also checked the filters and fuel tank/system. So far, nine flights/runs with no issue.

I now do an ECU calibration run prior to the first flight every day.

Thanks again,

Roger
Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
madfreestyler

Mine has stood for a considerable while. Do i need to calibrate? (im running a gaspar fadec)
Old 09-25-2009, 01:33 PM
B777

ORIGINAL: madfreestyler

Mine has stood for a considerable while. Do i need to calibrate? (im running a gaspar fadec)
FADEC doesn't need recalibration. However, you may want to "teach" the FADEC with a slow throttle cycle from idle to full before the first flight.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.