Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing
Reload this Page >

Quay Barber Quarter Scale T tailed Rivets

Community
Search
Notices
Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing Discuss all your rc pylon racing here!

Quay Barber Quarter Scale T tailed Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quay Barber Quarter Scale T tailed Rivets

Does anybody have any experience with this particular model that was kitted in the late 80's ? Quay Barber lived in Ohio made several quarter scale pylon racer kits. I bought the kit on Ebay and am hoping somebody can give me feedback about building this fiberglass and foam kit. I am planning on going with an electric motor instead of a .90 or 1.20
Steve Gibson
Houston, TX
Old 05-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Bones1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 2 of them. The first was covered in regular monocots and I had a we ra 120 on it. Flew great until the wing fell off. Steel bolts into blind nuts. Bad idea
The second I gave to a friend that ran a paint and body shop. It gained several pounds in glass and paint. Another bad idea. Same engine, open header from tuned pipe cut off just outside the cowl with perry pump. Flew heavy but beautiful in the air. Sold it. Keep it light
Old 05-16-2015, 03:41 PM
SGibson

Bones,
do your remember if you glued the t-tail on or was it held on with bolts? Did you put a spar in the wing or rely just on a fiber glass center section? I'm not looking for a fast super fast plane, just a nice looking sport plane that goes fairly fast. Where do you live in Texas?
Thanks in advance !
Steve Gibson
Houston, TX

QUOTE=Bones1;12039095]I had 2 of them. The first was covered in regular monocots and I had a we ra 120 on it. Flew great until the wing fell off. Steel bolts into blind nuts. Bad idea
The second I gave to a friend that ran a paint and body shop. It gained several pounds in glass and paint. Another bad idea. Same engine, open header from tuned pipe cut off just outside the cowl with perry pump. Flew heavy but beautiful in the air. Sold it. Keep it light[/QUOTE]
Old 05-28-2015, 02:06 PM
EBGFLIGHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones1
I had 2 of them. The first was covered in regular monocots and I had a we ra 120 on it. Flew great until the wing fell off. Steel bolts into blind nuts. Bad idea
The second I gave to a friend that ran a paint and body shop. It gained several pounds in glass and paint. Another bad idea. Same engine, open header from tuned pipe cut off just outside the cowl with perry pump. Flew heavy but beautiful in the air. Sold it. Keep it light
Why are steel bolts into blind nuts a bad idea?
Old 09-13-2016, 01:56 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Steel bolts vibrate loose. Nylon bolts slightly de-form and stay secure.

Does anybody know where I could get one of those kits?
Old 09-13-2016, 04:35 PM
SGibson

Originally Posted by Lifer
Steel bolts vibrate loose. Nylon bolts slightly de-form and stay secure.

Does anybody know where I could get one of those kits?
Lifer,
i bought my first t tailed rivets its from quay barber back in the middle 80's but never finished it and Sold it for a few bucks. Decided I wanted another rivets by barber and started searching eBay. I got lucky a found an unbuilt rivets kit after searching only a couple of weeks. I've never seen another quay barber kit on eBay.
s gibson
houston
Old 09-14-2016, 01:43 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the reply. My first Rivets was a tiny model powered by a Cox .010. Have always wanted a larger version. Searched for plans but no luck.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:47 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Har several of Quay Barbers 1/4 scale pylonracers racer back in the early nineties. All of the were heavy , Around 4,5-5 kg ready to fly.
My Rivets weighted 4,2kg and even that were a little on The heavy side.