First QM40 and JETT engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 02:52 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default First QM40 and JETT engine

Hey everyone,

About 3 years ago I bought a Loki QM40 kit at the Edmonton (alberta) auction for $40. I just finally got an engine for it. I bought a brand new JETT QM40 here on RCU. I know there is a fair size pylon group in Calgary, but my time is limited. I really bought the plane and engine just for the speed fix. I've flown many fast airplanes (Currently have a Weston Magnum with west 50 and a Whiplash with west 50 along with a couple turbines) The speed really doesn't worry me to much.

Couple of questions though...

Does the JETT QM40 require a bladder tank or will a regular tank work? what size tank should I run?
What is a good commercially available prop for the JETT QM40?
What is the best plug to run in the JETT?
Can I use a regular engine mount or is the JETT mount required?
Does this engine come with a needle, or do you have to buy the remote needle offered by JETT (I haven't received the engine yet)

As I received the kit without instructions, what should control throws and CG be on this type of airplane.

Any tips hints or advice is much appreciated. I will post pictures when I have it finished
I'm not after all out winning race speed, I've never raced and don't really feel that putting a QM40 in with a group of guys when I've never flown a pylon course would be a wise idea, but I am hoping to get 200mph out of it. My magnum is giving me about 180 and the whiplash the same, but I love the look of the QM40's and they look like they actually have some form of glide when the engine dies, unlike a magnum which just falls from the sky LOL!!!
Thank you in advance

Jeremy
Old 08-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any fuel tank will work. But the bladder tanks are the best type of tank for all model flying. For racing I use a 5 1/4 oz Tettra tank

The propellor of choice is the APC 7.4 x 8.0 carbon prop, $7.50 US. Do not use the APC grey props they have been known to throw blades. A wooden prop same size as mentioned is also suitable, you may have to carve it.

The Jett Q40 engine will accept only the Nelson plug. I believe a head button is available that will accept a regular plug. With a regular plug it will be a plug a flight.

Any aluminum motor mount is suitable. The front end will have to be tied to the fuselage. The Jett mount comes predrilled and tapped.

The engine comes with a needle valve in the venturi. Get rid of it and buy the remote needle valve assembly, $25.00 US. You really do not want your fingers within grinding distance of a prop at 22,000 rpm, Or do you?

The C.G. should be 2 1/4 back from the leading edge at the wing saddle to start with. For racing trim you may wish to move it back to suit your flying style.

Elevator throws, start with 3/16 up and 1/8 down measured inboard. adjust to suit.
Aileron throws, start with 3/16 up and down adjust as required.
Rudder throw, start with 1/2 right and 1/4 left, adjust as required. to give a straight takeoff with full right rudder.

Do not kid yourself you will get 200MPH with it. It will not happen in level flight. Most Q40s are gong at 170 to 180 max (Despite what you might hear). Those speeds are with the Nelson engine which is slightly better than the Jett.

Ed S
Old 08-11-2003, 02:34 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Ed, thanks for the quick response!

For the fuel tank, props and plugs, where in Canada can I order them from? Nobody in Alberta ever has that stuff in stock. I had a Nelson Formula one engine and a quickee engine that I bought from Cec Graval here and he gave me a bunch of used Nelson plugs which worked fine but when they were gone it was hell to try and get more. I don't mind ordering from the US but if there is someplace a bit more local that would be nice too.

For the motor mount, my nelsons had 6 mounting holes, 4 were on the standard lugs, 2 were up front, I assume this is to keep the crankcase from torquing? If I use a standard aluminum mount, do I need to make sure to use those holes? It sounds to me like the JETT mount is probably just the best way to go?

Do I have to use the JETT remote needle? I have a couple left over from Ducted Fans, will any remote needle work well?

Thank you for the control throws and CG, I nearly lost my magnum on the test flight when I misread the instructions on throws, (they read 8mm up and down. I took that as 8mm up and 8mm down, when it was 8 total )

Well, if 200 isn't really something I can expect that's ok too. I was under the impression that 170 to 180 was course speed but that 200 to 220 was achievable out of a dive without much problem.
What kind of RPM can I realistically expect out of the JETT? you mentioned 22,000, so should I assume the rpm on the JETT website of 25,000 to 27,000 is way on the hopeful side?
I am getting 21,500 out of my west 50V1 with an APC 8x8, but that's a bigger displacement with a pipe too.
oh, what nitro/oil content should I run in the JETT?

I paid $40 for the airframe and $175US for the JETT, so I'm not into it for alot, but I still want to make sure everything is just right, I will be using digital servo's in it. I'm not afraid of the speed, just very aware of the damage a high speed airplane can cause if something goes wrong.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really do appreciate the answers
Jeremy
Old 08-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Ed Smith

For supplies go to "superminnow.com" there are two links. H&M racing, in N. Battleford, SK. Canada and Performance Specialties in Nevada. H&M is the original producer of the Loki kit. try them first. Between the two of them you will get all you need.

The six hole mounts were for the rear exhaust F1 and F3D engines. The Quicky and Q40 motors have only four holes. It is far easier to buy the mount from Jett.

Any remote needle will work. The Jett is convenient as it uses the rear muffler screw for attachment. It also comes with the correct size screw to plug the needle hole. If you do not have a screw cut the point off the needle and lock it in place wide open.

For fuel we use 15% Powermaster. We use Powermaster because Powermaster gives the racing circuits a good deal on fuel. Powermaster has 18% oil, not sure if it is a blend. Any Quality fuel is suitable.

22k on a racing prop would be the minimum. 23k would be about normal. for the 7.4x8.0 APC. I believe the figures on the Jett web site are for break in purposes.

Ed S
Old 08-12-2003, 05:25 AM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loki Setup & Racing Stuff

Hi Jeremy,
Randy Smith here in Calgary. Give me a call sometime or email me. I would love to help you. I have had a few Loki's and they fly well.

I agree with most of what Ed has written. [ Yuck, it hurts to type that..... ] I would most definitely use a Tettra bubbless tank ( bladder inside of the plastic tank). For longer flights, use the 6 oz tank. All the racing and speed supplies you need are readily available here in Calgary. Jim Henderson is the Calgary distributor for H&M Racing products out of North Battleford. There is a lot of racing activity in Calgary so we have our own parts guy....... Jim has all the props, fuel tanks, glow plugs, etc, etc. No Jett parts however. We all run Nelsons in Calgary. There are some guys in Regina that run Jetts.

Contact Jim at 403-640-0460 or email [email protected]
Jim is currently out of town on vacation. We're going to Prince Albert, SK for our last district pylon race, so Jim is making his way there over his vacation.

Are you the same Jeremy that emailed me out the Stylus Tx antenna ? If so, and if you still use a Stylus, I have the Loki program still stored in my model memory card. I can give you the set up.

Call me or email me and I'll help you out. I am on vacation all week then heading to Prince Albert on Friday for the race.
403-547-1156 [email protected]

Randy
Old 08-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Bob Brogdon
My Feedback: (2)

Just a note of additional information: The Jett racing engines do not come with a needle valve in the venturi, at least not in the past six or seven years. You will need a remote; hopefully the engine you purchased will have a remote needle with it.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 08-16-2003, 03:53 PM
CentryEagle

Hey Jeremy,

You won't be disappointed with the Jett but I presumed you are not a new user of Dub's engines. I think for the QM40 engines, they are quite comparable with the Nelsons. We uses Jetts for our .24, Quickie and QM40's with superb results time after time.

As for the QM plane gliding, it does, big time! These lil planes glides for miles before they land so you ought to learn how to bleed off the speed for landing, otherwise, they comes in HOT!

That RPM for Jett is when it offloads out there, not on the ground. If you wanna go really fast. Forget the carb. I am not sure how the Loki performs tho. Most QM planes are made to be smooth and clean from tip to tip, nose to tail. So, I think they performs more or less the same.

Have fun and I hope to hear how your Loki/Jett will perform with another Loki/Nelson. Prepare to be surprised by this combo of yours. When we flew ducted fans, turbines and other fast planes. We thought those are fast until we flew a QM.

Enjoy!

Hudson