Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

New APC Carbon Prop

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:12 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New APC Carbon Prop

I learned that APC has a new APC Carbon Fiber prop for Q40.

I have a stack of the old ones, a couple real old ones (illegal), and now another comes out.

I noticed there is a slightly ridge all around the prop that would make it pretty easy to spot if one had been worked on, also the material looks and feels different.

Anyone got the straight scoop on these, and if they are any better or worse than the old ones?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 PM
bl10

Default RE: New APC Carbon Prop

Dave:
As I heard it: APC ran out of the current props so had to make a new batch. Fred could not get the exact material hence the different feel and apearance. He re-cut the mold leaving “whiteness†lines due the wide spread rumor of illegal prop modifying. As you stated it will now be much harder to modify the props without being obvious. I have not run one yet but Fred says they are about 300 rpm higher. I don’t know where that puts us with last years prop.

Barry
Old 01-19-2005, 09:01 AM
luv to race

Excellent job Barry. That is correct. I'm hoping to fly the one that I have, this weekend. So I'll certainly give the feedback on the forums, as soon as I can. It does feel stiffer... and personally, if it turns up a bit more.. I won't complain, expecially down here when it is 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity...

RB
Old 01-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Im going flying with Fred on Friday. He wants to radar the new prop along with the old one just to see what the differance is. I will let you know what we find out.

Dave
Old 01-19-2005, 07:56 PM
daven

Great, I have quite a few of the old ones at $10 each or whatever they were. I sure hope the new one is not any faster (I can't believe I just said that).

Rumor has it, that they do turn up a couple hundred more R's which would be a good thing. My only concern here, is were already on the 3rd CF prop (for whatever reason) when only 1 was approved.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:47 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: daven

<SNIP> My only concern here, is were already on the 3rd CF prop (for whatever reason) when only 1 was approved.
I hate to say I told ya so. No I don't.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current "old" 7.4x8.0 black prop will remain legal until such time that it is no longer Legal to use.

Final word will be out soon.

BV
Old 01-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Ed Smith

Bill,

We are not going through this again are we? Why would the second prop ever be declared illegal?

To be able to use the third prop should there not be a change to the AMA Q40 rule?

This is a repeat of my post on the NMRA site. I did not get an answer there.

Ed S
Old 01-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ed, sorry but I didn t see your post on the NMPRA site,,, I'll go have a look see soon and chances are you'll see the same answer over there

Anyways,,, The old prop is and will be ok to use. As it was explained to me by Pete, The new prop will simply take over and no one will want to use the old one.

To answer your other question about the prop change,,, its being reveiwed by AMA now.

BV