Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

QM-40 Fuel Pinch-Off Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Big Al Clabaugh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QM-40 Fuel Pinch-Off Setup

I'm Having a rough time visualizing a workable routing for my firewall mounted pinch-off in my Polecat with integral needle backplate on Jett QM-40 engine ... Could anybody / everybody with similar installation please post pictures? PLEEEZE..
Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: QM-40 Fuel Pinch-Off Setup

Big Al,

I have a similar setup, but I don't use a shutoff. I take a Q500 carb and bore it out to the maximum allowed by the rules, and machine the opening into a trumpet shape just like on the non-throttling venturi. It solves a lot of problems at once. But assuming you don't want to do that (and so far no one but me seems to), I would suggest the Ed Smith approach, wherein you install a bladder tank backwards and mount your shutoff in the radio compartment. That way, you don't have to squeeze everything into the firewall area. Check out the posts (#30 to #32 in particular) and photos at this link:

http://www.rcpro.org/net/ThreadView.aspx?threadid=181

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 05-12-2005, 03:36 PM
splatt

Hey Duane,

would that be legal at the Nats. sure be a better way to cool them on the line by pulling the throttle back rather than risking your partners finger
Old 05-12-2005, 03:58 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Splatt,

Heck yes! I've been doing it since 2003. Turns out the Jetts don't really need the cool-off-on-the-line feature, but there are plenty of advantages whether you're using Nelson or Jett.

D.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:19 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: DHG

Splatt,

Heck yes! I've been doing it since 2003. Turns out the Jetts don't really need the cool-off-on-the-line feature, but there are plenty of advantages whether you're using Nelson or Jett.

D.

Back as far as 1995 I had a Q-500 carb on the Edmunds QM engine. Ran the Jett like that in 96-97 for a while too.

Al, keep in mind, you an pinch off either of the fuel lines.... to or from the needle. Which ever is easier to get to.