Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-40 Racing
Reload this Page >

V-tail not used on Q40 planes

Community
Search
Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

V-tail not used on Q40 planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:46 PM
oddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-tail not used on Q40 planes

Hi everyone:

Why is it that V-tail is practically not used for Q40 models (except for the Swee Pea)

It is supposed that V-tails are a more effective design and eliminates drag vs. a conventional tail, and that among other reasons is why it is so much used in Q500 planes.

Then why is it, that this design benefit has mostly not been translated to Q40 designs?

In advance thank you very much for your comments

Victor.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:12 PM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: V-tail not used on Q40 planes

it is that there rnt really any v-tail reno racers....the q-40s must represent a full size racer that qualified for reno.

Cole
Old 07-13-2005, 03:26 PM
oddy

Cole thanks a lot.

No doubt you might learn something new every day.

I was not aware of this restriction for Q40 pylon racing, I have to say in my opinion this rule is unfortunate as somehow it limits creativity, design advances and experiments on Q40.

Only my opinion of course.

Best Regards
Victor.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:59 PM
oddy

Not sure if theres another rule about it, but according to this rule of Reno Racer approved list of planes, this means we can some day saw a twin engined Q40 competitor?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41887.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	296884  
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2005, 05:44 PM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

if u can make a pond racer 4 pounds, than my hats off 2 ya!! im not sure about a twin rule, but it would be one hell of an expence to get a fiberglass fuse for that thing...and not to mencion a set of q-40 motors that will sync in with eachother in the air. ide like to see a bipe before that big monster...there was one many years ago in Giant Scale racing and i remember it not being very competitive.

Cole
Old 07-13-2005, 05:56 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Twins aren't allowed. The complete rules can be found in the competitions section of the AMA website and also on nmpra's site.

So, no twins, but I did hear a rumor that someone was going to submit a rules proposal that would allow bipes. Now there would be some design chalenges for you!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM
garys

The FAI F3D rules don't have a replica requirement for airplanes. The aircraft basically must be forward wing/aft stab, with dimension requirements. A couple people have tried V-tails, but they didn't work all that well due to not being able to get enough yaw control authority to stay straight on takeoff, probably due to the high RPM/small prop. FAI's in general take a lot more rudder than Q40's.

The Swea-Pee's that I've seen in Q40 took off fine. I'm not sure how many other airplanes could be races with V-tails due to the replica requirements. I do know that there once were full scale races with Beachcraft Bonanzas, so technically, I guess you could make one of them, but you would have to have a nosewheel, and the fuse cross section would be completely strange looking due to the minimum hieght/width requirments.

GS
Old 07-14-2005, 08:52 AM
SmokinJoe

The Harrod Brothers from Queensland ran one peice V tail FAI models at the Australian Nats in F3D last year with a best time of 59 seconds.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:29 AM
garys

That's right, I forgot about them. Do you know what they did to help the takeoffs? If you get a chance, you should ask Karl about the bar DeChastel dragged a bunch of us to after the banquet for the World Champs in Sweden...interesting place..
GS
Old 07-15-2005, 03:31 AM
[email protected]

Hey Gary, its interesting how Bruce deC's name is always made in good humour- ask him about the russian pylon team members who were staying in the same dormitory as bruce in sweden- it told me there is nothing worse than seeing a naked russian, having a smoke and drinking beer , after having scavenged the rubbish tin for the remains of the chicken that someone had the previous night.
trevor h