Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Vendetta CG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 05:56 PM
ciressarg
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vendetta CG?

Where are you guys balencing your Vendettas? Mine is a little nose heavy and comes in real hot. I want to start moving it back, but I want to make sure I don't go too far. Does the Vendetta tend to land fast? My Dago came in like a trainer by comparison. Thanks in advance
Old 10-11-2005, 02:21 AM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Vendetta CG?

i had a Vendetta...landed beutiful and slow like they should...Dago i had landed much faster...i ballanced my Vendetta at 4" and it flew great.

Cole
Old 10-11-2005, 12:13 PM
ciressarg

No wonder, i'm at 3 1/4" Thanks a lot
Old 10-12-2005, 10:05 AM
MaxQ

I've flown my 3 year old Vendetta at Cg's of 3 3/4 to 4 inches. 3 7/8" is my current setup. First flights were at 3 3/4", no issues. I did experience one tip stall during landing with the CG at 4" One slight bounce/flair/tip stall/cart wheel. This runway gymnastic event occured during a moderate crosswind condition. Plane seems to be quite "happy" at 3 7/8".

Where do you fly Q-40's in the bay area?

Tom
Old 10-12-2005, 06:14 PM
ciressarg

When I go dirt biking I'll stop on the side of the road and fly. 25 south of Hollister there is a long section of road with no curbs or power lines. If I do it early in the morning you won't see a car for at least a half hour at a time. plus you can see them coming for a couple of miles. I have a buddy spot for me. The cows don't seem to mind and there is nothing else out there. There is really no other place unless you drive up north. None of the Bay area clubs allow the noise. I've heard of people flying at Tomcats in the afternoon sometimes, But that's just what I heard. Plus I'm not a member there.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:06 AM
MaxQ

CIRESSARG,

I work and fly Quickies/Q-40's at Moffett Field. There is a small club at Moffet called Ames Model Airplane Club (AMAC) of which I am the Field/Site Manager. Flying is only permitted on weekends and typically you would see 3 to 6 other pilots out there on a Sat or Sun morning. The only issue flying Q-40's or Quickies at AMAC are the curbs, as we fly off a two lane road. There is a AMAC website evolving at <downonthedeck.com/amac/> which I think has some photos of the field. If you don't mind sticking your nice Nelson muffler into the pavement as a brake this is a local place to sport fly or practice some 3-pole racing. If you want to come out some weekend shoot me a PM or e-mail and I'll set you up with the "secret handshake" to get on base.

Tom
Old 10-13-2005, 11:40 AM
ciressarg

I'm already on the list. I've only gone out there a couple of times due to the curbs. I didn't want to talk about our secret field on the net, but how many Bay Area folk read this forum. I have a beeter Q40 I may start flying out there. It's an old Miss foxy lady I bought off of RCU 80% done. I just couldn't stand smashing my molded ships into the curbs. I think I've seen you flying q500's there before. You were with a young guy that was flying a Dago I think. He found a curb that day, but didn't hurt it to badly. This was a couple of years ago. Watching his fly is what gave me the speed bug. I also fly F5D planes at Rancho and Baylands. I'm sure I 'll see you there sometime.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:09 AM
MaxQ

A Miss Foxy Lady would be perfect for AMAC. In fact I have been flying one there for the past year and half. Well, flying it up till three weeks ago when pylon 2 put a end to that plane. Even being slightly heavy "The Lady" had no bad flying habits. It was a great beater with probably 150+ flights on it. It survived several incidents including the servo tray coming loose (Why am I getting rudder hits everytime I feed in elevator? Stupid!), lost in low cloud cover (Hey, anybody seen a Q40 flying around?) sun blurrs (Flys well inverted) etc. When completed bring it on out.

Tom H

Tried to upload a picture... unsuccessfully I think!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81196.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	340700  
Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Looks like it worked to me.

I believe Jeryl Smith flew a Foxy Lady at the JR Race in Ft. Lauderdale this spring. I called for both Jeryl and "Smoke" and to be honest, thought Jeryl's Foxy Lady was slightly faster. I use a timer box to help calling #1 turns, and was getting blinks for Randy and a much more solid light for Jeryl pushing the button at the same point around #3.

Nice Plane.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:07 PM
luv to race

DN - why you tearing me down like that, saying my stuff isn't the fastest. Hurts my ego man. Wasn't I supposed to call for you in Houston in two weeks...be sure to not turn until I tell you.. 1...2...3....4....5....ready.......turn.

smoke
Old 10-18-2005, 02:18 PM
daven

Thats funny RB

Good thing you can sorta fly these things, or you'd be getting lapped
Old 10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
daven

RB, just talked to your Dad.

Its about time he's done working on all those FAI planes and can get back to building Vortex's

New color scheme on its way, I think its going to be white, orange, and black.

J/K

Old 10-18-2005, 03:48 PM
garys

New color scheme for who? Are you ditching the green?
GS
Old 10-18-2005, 04:03 PM
daven

Nah, I was just kidding.

Its going to be White, Green, and Black, but Chuck is going to surpise me on the design.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be a different shade of green, with 50% orange mixed in.

Oops, now I've spilled the beans!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:54 PM
diggs_74

White, orange, and black... Who would put colors like that on an airplane?? That's the ugliest combo I've ever heard of...
Old 10-18-2005, 10:14 PM
daven

Considering your going to look at RB's Dago in Houston, you might want to get use to them
Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 PM
garys

Hey..it is almost Halloween...orange and black make sense. Or you can say you're sponsored by Hooter's...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:35 AM
luv to race

It's Wht/Orange/Blue... not black. Lyle is just color blind and thinks my third color is black, so that's how he painted that Dago. Speaking of Dago's....Lyle told me that he is out of Dago's...must of been my stellar 2nd place performance at the nats...[8D]

Schmidty is right, it's almost Halloween time. I need a new color scheme anyways. I like the silver/orange combo, but GS got that out there first..
Old 10-19-2005, 08:21 AM
diggs_74

ORIGINAL: daven

Considering your going to look at RB's Dago in Houston, you might want to get use to them

That's nothing some wet sandpaper and a spray gun can't cure