Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

International Q40 ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 09:57 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default International Q40 ???

Maybe I've been snowboarding without a helmet again, but I have this thought in my head which I can't seem to get rid of.....

What would an International version of Q40 look like ? I would like to plant this seed and see where it goes within our racing community. Let's hear your thoughts.... I would particularly like to hear from the European and Asia-Pacific regions as to their perspective.

I was involved in one F3D world champs (Australia 2000) and was only the team manager, but I think I got a pretty good perspective of F3D. My view is that it is very high end, very technical, very expensive, race against the clock, and lots of head banging.

From the other side, I only have a N. American perspective of Q40. Nelson and Jett specific engines, mostly wood props from specific mfgrs, gas 'n go, head to head racing. Lots of fun.

I have been racing for about 23 years now and my dream would be to someday have helped evolve Q40 to the International arena. Wouldn't it be great to have 50+ guys at a National Team trials !

What are your thoughts? Here's mine:
- similar airframes to Q40 today (not a formula event as in F3D)
- 400 sq inches / 4 pounds
- keep it simple. No retracts, no remote controlled needles, etc
- stock motor F.I.S.E but maybe allow a larger venturi and F3D style cf props (rework allowed). This would enable creativity and technical experimentation.
- Not sure about the muffler or tuned pipe ??
- 0% nitro to enable Europe and Int'l
- Head to head racing (that's just my preference) for more excitement value
- Focus on maximizing the ratio of Fun and Excitement per dollar invested. I don't think F3D has a high ratio today.

Ed, don't be shy to let me know what you think.

Randy Smith
Old 12-04-2002, 10:59 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default International Q40 ???

Randy,

I think you're right on. I used to dabble in F3D but I've hung it up now. Sounds like a few others are as well. Meanwhile Q40 is losing steam too. Considering that the airspeeds are close to the same and all the F3D pilots are Q40 pilots too (at least here in North America), your idea is a natural. It could boost international competition and give Q40 a shot in the arm at the same time.

Imagine being able to hone your skills using a low-maintenance Q40, then take your *same* proven airplane & engine to a team trial then the World Championship. Wouldn't that be special!

My only suggestion is to leave the Q40 powerplant as is. I know the alcohol fuel is popular worldwide and very cheap, but it might be better to specify 5% or 10% nitro so you wouldn't need all new heads and so they'd start better in the cold.

Ditto for the 9mm carbs, tuned mufflers, wingspan limit, and even the dreaded design approval committee. The rules have been well thrashed, and they work. As for the homemade meat cleavers ... I got mine. But wood is better.

Duane