Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

High Wing Q40

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:28 PM
oddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Wing Q40

Hi everyone.

Thinking that Q500 category in the last 10 years migrated due to aerodinamic efficacy to high wing models.....

Has there ever existed a High wing Q40 or FAI plane or at least any project.

In understand that the rule of Reno Racer look a like model exists, but as far as I know there are some High wing reno racers right???

Regards.
VA.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: High Wing Q40

oddy:

Just happened to see your old 06 post regarding high wing Q-40 in the past. Only one I recall is the "Shoestring". I build a CG shoestring from kit form in the early 70's and flew it against the then state of the art low wingers with much success. I did modify the fuse a little, made it narrower and reduced the depth about 45%. Guys laughed at it on first sight, but not after first heat. ENJOY
Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
oddy

Rmenke, thanks a lot.

Exactly my point, considering drag is lower in a high winged plane and being this such an important factor for speed, it calls my attention at that time why no one with the new advanced building techniques reproduce this kind of planes modifying them at today specifications for Q40.

I know is a totally different category and game rules but look at F5D planes and most of them are high winged and their performance is great, I would be very interested in the performance of one of this designs sized for Q40 engine

Anyway Thanks for your interest in the topic.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 AM
kane

Oddy,

Q-500's aren't true HIGH wing airplanes. They are considered shoulder wing, where the wing centerline is slightly above the thrust line.

Current designs is QM that use a mid wing design are the polecat and Loki. This would be similar to the shoestring mentioned above.

There was a full size monocoupe that raced as well as the Mr. Mulligan, and Spirit of St. Louis, that might be canidates for your high wing experiment.

F5D models have a higher wing (shoulder wings) because they are hand lanched. IF they were low wing it would be difficult to launch. I would hazard to guess that if they had to ROG they would look very similar to the current F3D designs.

DK