Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

NEW NELSON Q-40

Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 AM
RANIERY
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW NELSON Q-40

OK, i heard from a good source that a new motor its coming out and you might get one in phoenix. is it true? what obout the old motors? do we need to get rid of them or what?
just want to know what you guys may know.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: NEW NELSON Q-40

I have too many engines and need to downsize so here is an opportunity
I wondered why these engines started showing up on E bray.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started shipping the new engine on Monday of this week. Henry Nelson and I have been fooling with this thing for over a year now and it's time to unleash it on Q40. I really didn't expect to have it available this soon as the cranks weren't done until last week. The only things interchangeable with the old engine are spinners, bearings and NV assemblies, but they fit in the same hole as the old engine.

Price is $410, individuals wanting to buy at PHX are cash only. Checks or Credit cards OK, but only if I know you well.

See you in Phoenix.

Dave
Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Splatter

I'm up for a used one if anyone wants to PM me !
Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super Splatter,

I just sent you a PM. I am getting rid of my Q40 stuff since I never race Q40 anymore. My wife is severely distraught over my decision but will pull through. My email is [email protected]. I can send you pics if you or anyone else is interested. I also just listed one on Ebay. My decision had nothing to do with the new release, although I wish it did - that would mean I was about to buy some more motors - NOT!

Kurt Bozarth
Old 02-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Dave Shadel

Hey Kurt, How's the RE biz?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Super Splatter

I'll bet you had to hit her with the paddles right? mmmm , bet not

I'm waiting to get hit myself by the better half.

Good luck everyone, I do have enough offers to consider
Old 02-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Bozarth

Hey Dave,

The RE business has been good - knock on wood. It keeps the bills paid and food on the table (plus a few new planes here and there!).

I have several Nelson Q40 motors for sale - no, I'm not getting the new one. I'm getting out of Q40. Go to www.bozarthhomes.com/Q40 Motors.htm to see them. Thanks.

Kurt Bozarth

P.S. If you buy a house from me, I'll throw all of them in the deal for free.
www.bozarthhomes.com.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Looks like I'm gonna have to get rid of mine(2ea.) as well,,, you know the deal, pm or email me.

BV
Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Dave Shadel

Kurt,
Sorry to hear you are throwing in the towel. It's always been a pleasure hearing from you.

Best of luck in whatever you do.

Dave
Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 AM
HighPlains

Dave, can you describe what some of the design changes were? Is the bore and stroke different, porting, RPM range, preferred prop size, etc.?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Dave Shadel

The engine is entirely different. The only common parts that it shares with the old engine are bearings, spinners/prop drives, and NV assemblies. The bore/stroke ratio makes it a true long stroke, and the porting is the result of over a year of experimentation. The engine likes to run fast on the ground. Typically mid 24's on the pinch. This means you don't load it up with too much prop or you'll be sorry. The cylinder head settings are typically high. All the engines I'm sending out are set at .193" and .018". I fully expect to see a number of sub-minute times at PHX.

The old engines are not convertible to the new specs.

Dave
Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Bill Vargas

Dave, are all the other demensions the same,,, mounting? etc,,, or do we need new mounts now also?

BV
Old 02-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Dave Shadel

Same mounting
Old 02-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Jim Duda

Can we use the old liner and head shims?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Bozarth

Hey Dave,

I'm only throwing the Q40 towel. I still will race in 428. I just don't have the opportunity to fly Q40 very much around here. I would still love to get into C/L combat!

Kurt
Old 02-15-2007, 02:46 PM
garys

Jim,
I believe the liner shims will still work, but the head shims are different.
GS
Old 02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Bill Vargas

Dave, so does this mean the Q500 engines are changing now as well?

BV
ps. buy one of my Q40 engines and I'll give you the other one,,, FREE!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

So now there are a lot of very fast sport engines available for sale.

Boy, isn't this great for racing?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:00 PM
daven

Dubb introduced the BSE a few years ago and I didn't hear a big backlash.

The polecat came out a few years ago and its argueably a few mph faster than previous models.

I don't see the difference in redesigning the motor, this is not a "one motor" "one plane" "spec'd" class.

I can see your point that this could potentially lose a few racers if they feel they are uncompetitive with their current equiptment, but it is racing, and this is by far not a beginner class.

I think we have been very fortunate that this has been the 1st major engine change in over 10 years.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Tony Pacini

Hey, guys & gals-

Let's not get upset. Only two engine manufacturers cater to our small segment of the hobby, and neither is getting rich doing it.

Should we really get upset with someone for improving a product? Who can blame anyone for trying to increase sales in an admittedly small market? Every other segment of this hobby seems to change every few months. Try racing R/C cars, for example. There are so many new/improved versions available that we can't stock parts for them. Electric motor and battery technology are rapidly evolving, too.

Before Nelsons and Jetts came out you were stuck with Rossis and Webras, neither of which were as durable as our current motors (Jett or Nelson). Mufflers and carbs fell apart, performance was not consistent, and they didn't last long under racing conditions.

Another point to consider: the guys who are serious about this tend to freshen their equipment on a regular basis. Some seem to have new stuff every year, if not sooner. That will not change. All of us have had the opportunity to run newer, fresher, engines. Some choose to, some don't. Some it might help, others (myself among them) would probably not be able to fully enjoy the benefit of a newer or faster engine. My current limitations are skill and consistency. Better equipment won't make up for them.

Yes, I will run the new engines as I can get them. No, I probably won't place any higher than I usually do.

Airframes change (and can be hard to get), props change, radios change. It's only natural for engines to change.

The ones who are serious and skilled will continue to do well. The rest of us will show up, have fun (hopefully), and pay the bills.

Let's get through this first race and see how it goes.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 AM
smacfe

I think that the concern over a new motor is kinda laughable. No motor sport offers a better mph/$ ratio than Q40 pylon racing - ANYWHERE!!! Can you imagine any other motor racing sport where the winning motor at the biggest contest /Nationals last year was purchased in 1994 - TWELVE YEARS BEFORE!?!? Sure lots of guys guys (including myself) got caught in a bad timing issue, and that's unfortunate, but to expect that a motor in a racing event would be competitive for years without change is unrealistic. Those of you who remember Formula 1 or .15 QM can relate some real horror stories about the engine-of-the-week until the Nelson came along. I have a pile of pylon racing motors sitting in boxes - all of which were made obsolete by the next generation to come along. I applaud Dave and Henry for producing AND supporting such an extroadinary product, that we have only had to change once in almost 15 years. I also applaud them for the extroadinary effort they have made to ensure that anyone who intends to attend the Phoenix race has access to a new motor. In the old days, those who were the "buds" of the manufacturer were the only ones who had the dominant engine at the big contests and humiliated those who were not "connected" enough to get the new motors. Is this new situation utopia? No. Is this racing? You betcha!

See ya in Phoenix - and bring your best game 'cause we're going racin'!!!

Scott
Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 AM
burgster
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Dave Shadel

This means you don't load it up with too much prop or you'll be sorry.
Maybe this is why the new props came out without much notice.
Jeff
Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 AM
SCPYLONRACER

The issue is if the “2 second increase in speed” is accurate, this new product release from Henry and Dave has effectively made all the QM-40 engines obsolete including the Jetts. This product release is great from a business standpoint for Henry and Dave but I don’t see this as a good move for pylon community. We not need to increase the QM-40 speeds and this move will undoubtedly cause more racers to drop out of the event and the loss of participants is not something that pylon can afford at this time. The die-hard racers will spend the money to stay competitive but many racers won’t and just fade out of pylon. Also, you can count on a new Q-500 engine.

Bill
Old 02-16-2007, 10:21 AM
HighPlains

I'm assuming that there was a declaration sent to the AMA and the contest board chairman (Pete Reed) on the new engine design. There should also be an approval letter from the contest board chairman on file with the AMA and the NMPRA for publication. Anybody see these documents?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.