Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-40 Racing
Reload this Page >

Miss candace recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Miss candace recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 PM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss candace recommendations

So I bought the miss candace off fleabay, paid 450 think I got a decent deal. What would you guys recommend for servos and battery and anything else that would be helpful. I already have a Nelson q40, would a small 750mah battery be ok? What size push rods for the tail? Tank size? Control throws? CG? Can I run the nelson rich on the first flight to slow it down a little?
Thanks
I will post some pictures when I get it.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Miss candace recommendations

Is this the kit or already built? Have you built a Q40 before? There is a procedure for buildng the Candace which, if followed, makes it reasonably easy.

I ask these questions before we have to embark on lengthy explanations.

Ed S
Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM
ecoliburger

Already built, never built or flown an q40. Motor mount is already installed.
heres a picture.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Super Splatter

mmm... yummie

I use 3121 JR's and the digital 3421 on the eleavator. I use a 225 hitec on the throttle cutoff.

I use .125 carbon fiber tube and 2/56 rod inserted inside with CA for the rods running to the back. I support the rods half way back with a bracket of some sort.

But I'm sure other opinions will follow ..

yes you can run the engine a little rich for your first flights to slow it down, not too much, but it will help.

Isn't that a candace in your avator Daven?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Ed Smith

If this is an unmodified Candace then the elevator horn is internal. There is a possibility you will have to cut into the rear end of the fuselage to install the pushrod, if not already installed.

From the picture it looks as if the rudder horn is on the left side of the rudder. This is a bad position. The rudder horn is best placed on the right side. The vertical stab is molded with the fuselage. The rudder hinge is the fuselage skin. The left side of the rudder skin is cut. This makes the rudder skin/hinge very stiff. Left rudder is hardly ever needed. It is much easier if the rudder push rod can pull on the rudder than push it. If it is a push situation the push rod may bend with very little rudder movement.

For a full installation desription go here:-

www.rcpro.org

Scroll to "Forums, then "Building" then "Q-40 servo tray installation"
Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 PM
garys

I've been flying a Candace since Phoenix in Feb and really like it. Not sure what brand radio equipment you use, but I'd use digitals on elevator and ailerons. I use Futaba 9650's for primary controls on most of my racers, with Futaba 3102's on rudder and throttle. I don't worry about "pushing" for right rudder, after all we "push" for up elevator, don't we? But I don't tend to use the small pushrods either, and never use them on a Q40 elevator. I usually use 3/16" carbon rods on Q40's, although my current Candace does have 1/8" on the rudder, and I haven't had any issues, even when giving full right rudder to help save it from bad air in a heat. Just make sure your pushrods don't have any kinks or bends in them and you should be fine with the rudder horn on the left side.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
ecoliburger

Thanks for the replies so far. I am using Dx7 but will use fut servos. What about battery size?
Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM
garys

I've usually been using four cell 720mah NiMH's, although I've also used five cell 720 packs as well. Either will work, and you should be really close to minimum weight.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:23 PM
ecoliburger

Got it today looks great! The hinges are really stiff, what do you do to loosen them up? Really appreciate it if someone will post or send me pictures of how you mounted the ail servo and the servos in the fuse oh and the fuel cut off used.
Thanks

Old 10-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Ed Smith

From my previous post.

For a full installation desription go here:-

www.rcpro.org

Scroll to "Forums, then "Building" then "Q-40 servo tray installation"

Ed S
Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Ed Smith

With the tank on the CG run the feed line through a tube glued to the fuselage. A short wire from the servo pulls the line into the tube and suts off the fuel. This saves the long wire into the fireweall, and the fuel line winding in and out of the engine compartment. See picture. Ignore the tank position, old technology.

The wing servo picture speaks for itself.

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87680.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	782601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73128.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	782602  
Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Ed Smith

Really appreciate it if someone will post or send me pictures of how you mounted the ail servo
Here is the full article for mounting the aileron servo.

With Q40 airplanes Certain things are desirable, stiff control surfaces, to a point, being one of them. The last thing we want is flutter which will pull an airplane apart in no time. Hence the stiff hinges you are now experiencing. There are two things that create stiff control surfaces. The hinge is the skin of the layup. The pivot point of the surface is actually on the top of the skin. This means that the torque rod has to swing around that point. So with a 1/8 dia torque rod it is approximately 3/32 off centre of the actual pivot point of the control surface. Therefore only a small movement is possible before it binds. This is OK for Q40 as we do not need a lot of movement.

The picture shows my servo installation. The servo is a JR 9011 with 60 oz/in of torque. The NMPRA requires 40 oz/in of torque as a minimum. This is OK to move the control surfaces but maybe not enough to allow the servo to centre. We do not use "Standard" servos. We use small, powerful (expensive) servos. Because I build my own wings there is enough material to support/install a servo mounting plate flush with the top of the wing. With a composite wing however there is no material in the centre section. So a mounting plate of at least 1/8 ply will have to be mounted on top of the skin. Or as Duane described, lay the servos on their sides. I cannot offer pictures of this installation as I do not use it.The clevises in the picture are approximately 3/4" above the top of the skin. If you have to cut through the bottom skin be carerful, the belly pan is not very deep. The topmost part of the servos in the fuselage will have to be at least 1" below the saddle at the same point as the aileron horns to ensure clearance. In my servo tray installation article I showed three servos in a line. Again, small (expensive) servos. If you are using standard servos maybe two in a line and one across (shutoff) will get the tray down deeper in the fuselage.

The Miss Candace is designed and produced specifically for Q40 racing. We do not want huge gaps at the hinge line. The hinge line is cut at an angle to allow the bottom of the control surface to slide under the wing skin in down movement and to not leave a big gap in the up position. If you are intending to paint the airplane be careful you do not stick the whole lot together.

Whatever servo installation you use I would suggest you do it before the firewall installation so you can look through the nose and see what is happening.

Ed S

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60740.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	782605  
Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 AM
ecoliburger

Thanks for some reason I couldnt get the link to the ail article to work.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:33 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Ecoliburger,

I'm relieved it got there ok. I was worried about damage. Would you say the way I boxed everything up was adequate or overkill?

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In case you are wondering, balance your finished Candace at 3.5 inches back from the leading edge measured at the center of the wing. Note, with a swept back leading edge, the c of g measurement will be different if you measure 3.5 inches somewhere along the span.

Randy
Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 PM
ecoliburger

Hi John
Got here fine, you did a great job of packaging. Not overkill at all as the wing box was banged up but the wing was fine.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:05 PM
ecoliburger

Randy,
Thanks the CG was going to be my next question.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Guys,

Whats the market price for a RTF Candice in excellent condition complete w/ engine, servos, batt, rx etc etc?
Anyone interested, I have an ad in the classifieds.

I also have a second one, same trim scheme as the one listed with yellow instead of red. It had a belly smack on t/o and needs a few splits repaired on the fuse and a new elev pushrod. It also has all the radio gear but no engine.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:35 PM
ecoliburger

Depends on how bad someone wants it. I paid 450 for a brand new one, but I wanted it bad. It was on ebay and went through a couple auctions without any interest.
Also bought a near new Nelson for it for 200. Recently got an older q40 no where near the quality of the one your selling, paid less than 1/3 of what your asking. Came ready to fly, servos Nelson etc. I would think your price is not unreasonable but probably 700 or 800 would be closer. Who knows though, wish you would have been around when I was trying to find one.
Hope that helps