Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

GR-7 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 PM
YUKONFLYR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GR-7 Questions

Picked up a GR-7 and have a few questions as to putting it together. This plane seems similar to the Polecat and I have read thru two builds of that plane. Thanks in advance for your help.

1) Plug in stab. Still confused on this one? do you drill out the fuse and then use carbon rods, secure the stabs with tape?

2) What side of the rudder does the pushrod / control horn go and what is the best way to do the control horn / which one to use and how to exit the fuse? there is no bump in the fuse for the pushrod like the polecat.

3) Two piece wing. I understand how to mount the servo on one side, so just the carbon joiner tube and then tape the wing together, bolt to the plane and thats it. Does it need another pin further aft of the large carbon tube joiner to keep the halfs aligned.

4) Engine Cowling, This is another tape on item, does everyone tape them on?

Also if anyone could recommend a good starting point for control throws for low and high rates.

Would anyone have some pictures of their setup for the GR-7?

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:39 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GR-7 Questions

1. The fuse should be pre-drilled for the carbon rods that hold the stabs in alignment? You just need to cut out where the elevator horn slips through the side of the fuse, and maybe clearance for the little aluminum bar that connects to the elevators. That needs to be clear so it can move as the servo pushes and pulls.

2. Most guys like to have the rudder set up so that it "pulls" for right rudder, I've done it both ways. So you can pick what's best for you. Most guys put a screw through the rudder, and install a horn bracket..then connect with a standard clevis. Just be sure to open up the rudder, and put some 5 minute epoxy in the rudder where the screw goes through..that holds the screw. cut a slit in the side of the fuse for the push rod wire to exit.

3. you got it. You can use a alignment pin or something to keep the wing aligned. I think most guys just bolt it down and call it good. I've done both methods...

4. Yep, tape it on.

Elevator throws: 1/8" for low rate, 3/16"-1/4" for high rate. Aileron: 1/8"-3/16" for low, 1/4" for high. Rudder: same as aileron.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
YUKONFLYR

luv to race - thanks for the info.

My fuse has the holes for the stabs, however the fuse is not drilled completely thru to the other side. The wasy it is now I would need 4 seperate carbon rods to hold in the stabs, two for each side. I am wondering if you drill thru the fuse and only use two carbon rods? Also does the elevator bar hold the stabs in place or is tape applied to the stabs to hold them on.

I have been looking for a good close up picture on the net of this, however I have yet to find one.

Thanks

Richard
Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM
daven

On the polecats / lokis there are only two carbon rods for the tails. I would assume the GR-7 is the same, can't imagine 2 on each side??

Once you get the aluminum tail joiner installed, tape the tail to the fuse with speed tape. I would also suggest thread lock on the aluminum tail joiner bolts and tape over the little bolts as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:30 PM
YUKONFLYR

Thanks

Old 08-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try this place for GR7 contact info,,,

www.bigbruceracing.com/prod02.htm

BV
Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 AM
luv to race

yes.. drill those two holes all the way through. so that the two carbon rods slid through the fuse. you should have a few inches of rod sticking out each side of the fuse equally. once you get the aluminum bar drilled for the two little screw through each stab... you want to use a strip of tape top and bottom laying across the joint from stab to fuse. just as some added insurance. I don't even wrap it around the leading edge of the stab/fuse.. you can though if you like, some guys do. And I've flown without any tape at all, on accident..so it's pretty solid back there once the little screw holes are drilled and the screws installed.