Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Clear Coat Brands Q-models

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:03 PM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Coat Brands Q-models

What brandnames of (N-Am) clear coat systems have you guys succesfully sprayed for Q40 & Q500? Im contemplating doing some simple airbrushing just to add a bit of color & distinction over existing base coat color finish. The models are typical commercial reverse paint-in-mold models. Im going to prep clean with mold release remover, lightly block it down with 600-800, airbrush with (likely) AutoAir system, then clear over that. Im thinking a commercial / auto catalysed system, but one that flows nice & tacks quick as I am an 'outdoor spray booth' kinda guy (but have a shop to return for curing). I have a mini hvlp gun, compressor etc. I want minimal weight add & the clear to withstand typical pylon fuel & heat. I formerly sprayed Endura (like the old Imron Im told) - really tough, but nasty isocyanate stuff. Are most 'auto' clears fuel proof to 15% Powermaster? Are they practical to polish by hand methods vs typical auto buffers etc?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
iamtom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clear Coat Brands Q-models

ptxman,
The clear coats I am familiar with ar both PPG products. The Concept 2021 is very reliable and is easy yo use. The mix is 4 parts clear to 1 part catalyst and 1 to 3 parts reducer. Reduce to taste. It takes over night to cure and ready to polish in about 24 hours. The other is a good bit faster. DC-3000 ,also from PPG. Its mix is ,I think, 4 to 1 also but requires no reducer as it is of low viscosity already. This stuff cures and ready polish in about 3 hours. Some would say it is difficult to polish much after this time but I have not found this to be the case. There are many others but these are the 2 I am familiar with.
As for the dangers of Isocyanates, yes all urethanes which are catalysed are a problem. Imron is not the only one.You should always be carefull to not breathe the solids or the fumes. And yes most all of the urethane clears are very fuel proof.
Good luck, Wear a resperator and work in a ventilated area.
Tom