Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

What fuel

Old 06-14-2003, 07:05 PM
pwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What fuel

Hi Guys

Q40 is just getting started here in South Africa.

We have decided to run with the full US rules. It gives the fuel spec. on the AMA web site of max 15% nitro etc. that will be supplied at races.

When you practice and need your own fuel, is there a commercialy available fuel that is ok, or do you mix your own.

The only "known" brand in South Africa is Morgan fuel. Is the Coolpower 15% ok

I got my Nelson Q40 in the post today...Can't wait to run it. My plane will be ready in +/- 1 week. Might have to put the motor in a q500 just to try it.

Thanks guys

Paul
Old 06-14-2003, 08:23 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default What fuel

Can you get the Morgan Omega 15%? Omega is pink and has some castor oil along with primarily synthetic oil. Coolpower is all synthetic, and I believe its oil content is lower than the recommended level for Q-40 and Q-500 engines.

The PowerMaster 15% is the provided fuel at all of the JR Gold Cup Q-40 races, and it is also the fuel used at our National Competition (for pylon anyway). It is a castor / synthetic blend.

In the Morgan line, the Omega is closest to the PowerMaster in terms of lubrication.

If Coolpower is all that is available, you may want to add some high quality castor oil to it. Let us know if the Omega is available.

To my knowledge, most people don't mix their own these days. The fuel manufacturers have figured out the right way to do rust inhibitors, oxidizers, etc.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:40 PM
pwood

Default What fuel

Hi PylonWorld

Yes the Omega Morgan fuel is available.

Refered to as dishwashing liguid.....nice pink colour.

Thanks I will use it

Paul
Old 06-15-2003, 12:55 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default I agree

Definately use the Omega over the Coolpower.