Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 AM
mattm3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default qm 40 ground releasing mechanism??

hi guys!!
i flew the qm 40 and most of the time i flew by myself and found that it's a bit tough to get the plane airborne by myself since there is no tail wheel as we know so i have to hold down the plane with my left hand while open full throttle and my right thumb will be at elevator stick and ready to lift off as soon as the plane gaining enough the speed which usually rarely happen as the plane will hardly left my hand straight ahead, it will usually move to the right, anyone out there can give me a hint of how to build something like foot releasing mechanism and can lock my plane rear end parts until i am ready to take off so i will have both hand free and keep at both stick on the tx?? please advice. thank you in advance for any help!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: qm 40 ground releasing mechanism??

Put your feet on either side of the fuse just ahead of the tail. When you're ready to launch just move one of your feet to the side and the plane will slip off the other foot. An experienced racer on the NMPRA website posted this method and works like a charm.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
mattm3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chris

Thanks for the advice, i've got the v tail and didn't know that if this method will work or not but i will give them a try. Will let you know how's it go!! thanks again dude!!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't imagine starting the engine on a Q40, setting the needle, and trying to launch it by myself. Holy %$@*&#.....[X(] There must be someone close by we can get you hooked up with to practice.

West Covina... It's only about 30 miles to the Basin. There's a few guys out there that Pylon race. And it's only about 12 miles to Whittier... since they are racing out there this next weekend, you should head out there and meet the guys. Scott McAfee, Travis Flynn, and Matias Salar are great guys out there that will help you meet everyone. and they love to go practice anytime.

Randy Bridge
Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Ed Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't imagine starting the engine on a Q40, setting the needle, and trying to launch it by myself.
Hi Randy,

I am forced to do this myself. I also fly off a grass field. The elevator rate is set to about 20% higher than the flying rate. The aileron is at the flying rate. So I start it up. I have the transmitter in my right hand. I hold full up elevator and full right aileron. I launch with the left hand. Switch to low elevator when it is airborne.

See picture for just after the launch. If you look closely the right aileron input can be seen. NO, I did not take the picture as well!

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58412.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1196167  
Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ed,

I think it was you who told me how to do it. I had a holder the first few times I flew the plane. Since then I've always launched it myself.

I do have one advantage over you true racer types. I put a Q500 air valve carb on my motor. I can throttle back to about 10k and not have the plane screaming and pulling like a mule.

Chris